EVOC needed

Webyz22

Forum Ride Along
Hello all, I am a new California EMT and I applied at a smaller ambulance company, I was told that because I was only 19 years old, their insurance company would not allow me to drive an ambulance unless I had a completed EVOC certificate. I have done some online research and haven’t really had any luck finding a course. Any suggestions? I have my medical and ambulance license.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There aren’t really any EVOC in CA that I am aware of because every company in CA must provide that training to their employees. I know NAEMT offers a course however I do not believe there is any actual driving involved as it is purely just educational.

It would probably be a good idea to go back to that company and ask if they are aware of any courses that you can take as it’s an unusual requirement.

OP
OP
W

Webyz22

Forum Ride Along
Thank you for the response, Unfortunately, when I was there. They said they didn’t know of any and asked if I had any affiliation to an agency that could send their employees,

ffemtrb

Forum Probie
I am in New York State. My agency (rural volunteer FD Ambulance) does its own in-house EVOC training.
I am an instructor for these courses through two insurance companies(VFIS and ESIP).

I would suggest you find out if you need an in-person course or an online course. The online EVOC courses are similar to an online defensive driving course for ambulances. The in-person training has all of that, information on state laws, detailed vehicle handling and response information and a vehicle competency course ("Cone Course")to demonstrate driving proficiency based on NFPA standards. I recommend that before a student takes the "Cone Course" that they have a number of hours of experience driving the ambulance. That way the student is familiar with all the vehicle controls and the handling characteristics of the vehicle. Sometimes an over the road evaluation is added also.
There is online training available( for a price) from the National Safety Council:
That said, an online certificate might not be what that company is looking for. Ask.
Since you said the company you applied to is smaller, you might want to consider applying to a larger company that can provide the training. You also might look into if there are volunteer EMS agencies or volunteer Fire Departments that run an ambulance in your area that you could join and get EVOC as part of the on-boarding process.

Good luck in your endeavor, we need more emergency responders nationally. I congratulate you for wanting to be part of the solution. Be safe.

OP
OP
W

Webyz22

Forum Ride Along
Thank you for the information
I am in New York State. My agency (rural volunteer FD Ambulance) does its own in-house EVOC training.
I am an instructor for these courses through two insurance companies(VFIS and ESIP).

I would suggest you find out if you need an in-person course or an online course. The online EVOC courses are similar to an online defensive driving course for ambulances. The in-person training has all of that, information on state laws, detailed vehicle handling and response information and a vehicle competency course ("Cone Course")to demonstrate driving proficiency based on NFPA standards. I recommend that before a student takes the "Cone Course" that they have a number of hours of experience driving the ambulance. That way the student is familiar with all the vehicle controls and the handling characteristics of the vehicle. Sometimes an over the road evaluation is added also.
There is online training available( for a price) from the National Safety Council:
That said, an online certificate might not be what that company is looking for. Ask.
Since you said the company you applied to is smaller, you might want to consider applying to a larger company that can provide the training. You also might look into if there are volunteer EMS agencies or volunteer Fire Departments that run an ambulance in your area that you could join and get EVOC as part of the on-boarding process.

Good luck in your endeavor, we need more emergency responders nationally. I congratulate you for wanting to be part of the solution. Be safe

RsqCrack

Bandwidth Binge
I'll revise our college policy then.

In addition to the POST cadets, agency training and independent in service courses; there is non LE evoc curriculum offered throughout the state, most frequently through community colleges.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Have they gone back to calling it EVOC again? We went through EVOC, then EVAP, then EVIP. Same course, different name so they could charge us for the new training materials.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
California, the state in question as mentioned by OP.
Colleges teaching this subject are Fire Based or LE. LE Academies don’t allow civilians to attend POST classes of this type. You can just post the POST link to your program. I’d be interested to see so I can refer people who are looking.

RsqCrack

Bandwidth Binge
Last edited:

RsqCrack

Bandwidth Binge
Colleges teaching this subject are Fire Based or LE. LE Academies don’t allow civilians to attend POST classes of this type. You can just post the POST link to your program. I’d be interested to see so I can refer people who are looking.
Scratching my head as I've NEVER seen a POST requirement of folks to not be a civilian. Most POST certified folks are civilians, and there's restrictions on using the military for policing.

Above I linked the three programs I've been around, you're sure to find more if you are further north or in the Central Valley.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
That's well beyond the scope of the conversation in this thread. OP's question's been answered.
So you don’t. That’s what I thought.

Hint: Honesty is important if you want to be believed, “Doctor”.