EMTs and employment

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Not every basic in the US did it because it was cool, easy or wanted something to brag about. Some did it as a stepping stone onto something else, RN, Medic... and/or because they genuinely wanted to help people, and sometimes its humbling to remember that we all have to start somewhere.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Not every basic in the US did it because it was cool, easy or wanted something to brag about. Some did it as a stepping stone onto something else, RN, Medic... and/or because they genuinely wanted to help people, and sometimes its humbling to remember that we all have to start somewhere.

Sounds as if your apologising because your "only" an EMT.

You dont owe anyone here an explination as to why you chose to become an EMT.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Sounds as if your apologising because your "only" an EMT.

You dont owe anyone here an explination as to why you chose to become an EMT.

I'm as much for education as anyone. Heck, while I may not have my education in a medical field, I'm reasonably confident I have as much education as just about anyone else here...

But there are certainly those who make it seem like someone who is "only" an EMT is lazy, stupid, or both. That's certainly the implication of the constant digs at EMT-Basic programs.

Even if your eventual goal is to be Joe Paragod, NREMT-P, BA, M.P.H., etc., the first step is the basic course.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Oy vey. Here we go again.

Even if your eventual goal is to be Joe Paragod, NREMT-P, BA, M.P.H., etc., the first step is the basic course.
It is difficult not to go down the road of education when the EMT is put on a truck and expected to do a job that they are inadequately prepared for. It does both them and the public a great disservice. In other countries the U.S. EMT would require another year of education to hold that title and before they could touch a patient. That would be their "basic course" and not 110 hours of training.

The clinical hours of education barely allow them to get any hands on experience so most do not know what is expected of them when it comes to patient care. You then get many who probably shouldn't be in the market taking jobs away from someone who might actually want to do patient care as well as advance to the next level.

Just read the threads here and you will see how many are not even prepared to take the NREMT or figure out how to get a state certification. That is our U.S. training system for the EMT.

It is also sad that you have a negative view of Paramedics to call them Paragods. That is a fine example of what those entering EMS have for the next level and is a discouragement for some to even consider advancing. It is a shame that EMS puts such a bad stigma on education to stagnate this profession.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If it was not for EMT-B Seattle would have no 911 transport, medic 1 you ask? AMR 911 BLS transport is %90 of king county EMS system. Basics can be a good thing and are a good thing, but I wish there was more education for them. When I was a basic I had no idea half way into my program we did not do IV's. Of course EMT's do IV's I thought... haha looking back now.

Anyway, I know some damn good EMT's and there are spots for them out there. My first EMT-B job was as a racetrack response EMT and it was awesome!

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
It is difficult not to go down the road of education when the EMT is put on a truck and expected to do a job that they are inadequately prepared for. It does both them and the public a great disservice. In other countries the U.S. EMT would require another year of education to hold that title and before they could touch a patient. That would be their "basic course" and not 110 hours of training.

I agree with you. I've said in plenty of threads that I think the training should be changed. But the people taking the class didn't write the curriculum. It's unfair to beat up on the people who take the EMT-Basic course, when the DOT and state EMS administrators are the ones who decide how long the course is and what it includes.

It is also sad that you have a negative view of Paramedics to call them Paragods. That is a fine example of what those entering EMS have for the next level and is a discouragement for some to even consider advancing. It is a shame that EMS puts such a bad stigma on education to stagnate this profession.

Eh. It was hyperbole. I've seen good medics and bad medics, both in terms of medical skills (as far as I could tell) and personality. Some treat basics as beneath contempt, and some are quite willing to teach and help you improve. That's probably true of any profession.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I agree with you. I've said in plenty of threads that I think the training should be changed. But the people taking the class didn't write the curriculum. It's unfair to beat up on the people who take the EMT-Basic course, when the DOT and state EMS administrators are the ones who decide how long the course is and what it includes.

Does that mean they can not take the college classes to boost their education? Are they only allowed to take 110 hours of training? Who prevents them from taking A&P?

Many other health care professionals took it upon themselves to go beyond the minimum. RTs didn't need a 2 year degree for 20 years but the majority had the two year degree when the change was finally implimented. RNs only require a 2 year degree but now you will find more RNs who have put forth the extra effort over the past 10+ years to get their BSN and MSN because they know the future. They have watched the SLPs, OTs and PTs advance through the ranks very quickly due to their education.

Eh. It was hyperbole. I've seen good medics and bad medics, both in terms of medical skills (as far as I could tell) and personality. Some treat basics as beneath contempt, and some are quite willing to teach and help you improve. That's probably true of any profession.

When EMTs believe their 110 hours of training is good enough for the patient and tax payer and the public deserves no higher level of care, there is a problem. We have has numerous discussions that an EMT provides just the same as a Paramedic. BLS vs ALS. However, regardless of the "skill", it is the knowledge of when to and when not to do the skill that makes the difference.

Josheppe

Forum Ride Along
I never understand why people advocate for LESS education, or what is the norm now is sufficient. Is it the money issue or an ego issue? Probably the latter.