EMTLIFE or EMSLIFE?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
A lot has changed since the forum was created. Like medicine, things are constantly evolving. One thing is the fact that paramedics have dropped the EMT nomenclature not only nationally, but pretty much internationally. NREMT-P no longer exist. EMT-P is becoming fairly rare and is now just "paramedic". Education and industry standards continue to change and so does EMS. EMT is now pretty well recognized as a different provider than paramedic. Therefore, the current title of the forum is somewhat misleading and outdated in my opinion. There are also a small minority of providers who work in EMS who are not EMT's and paramedics, such as flight nurses and medical directors for example.

I propose changing the T, to an S. EMSLIFE would represent the forum more accurately and encompass all providers and reflect the forums "brand" more accurately

Any thoughts?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Yeah but then chimpie has to register a new domain and all that fancy marketing goes down the drain.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
emslife.com was already taken when emtlife.com was purchased, and it's still in use today.

And we currently have all the surnames:
facebook.com/emtlife
twitter.com/emtlife
instagram.com/emtlife

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Just came across this, great thought though, and I applaud the effort, @ExpatMedic0. I would have been in support of this had it not been taken, and/ or that difficult to convert.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya, I can see the dilemma. Ok building on the original idea, how about a new proposal to consider...

How about just a small textual change next to or under the main EMTLIFE logo, in the form of a sub-title. The sub-title could read something like (just random examples) "EMT, Paramedic, and EMS discussion.", "A place for Emergency Medical Services discussion", "The largest online prehospital discussion forum", "A community for EMT's, Paramedics, and EMS providers", "An online community for all levels of prehospital care providers", or something along one of those lines?

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Funny things is in Canada anyways we're rapidly getting away from the term EMS too. In even the last few years, easily a dozen services in Ontario have dropped EMS and gone to "_____ (County/Region/City) Paramedic Service(s)" including my service just last year. (Like the new name, hate the graphics on the new patch)

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
The actual EMSlife.com site is weak. It's for a school.
Lame.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
When I registered emtlife.com I intended to make it a personal blog of my experience in EMT school.

The domain isn't ideal, but at this point I think it's our brand.

I've had emtlifesucks.com since 2005, what do you think?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Funny things is in Canada anyways we're rapidly getting away from the term EMS too. In even the last few years, easily a dozen services in Ontario have dropped EMS and gone to "_____ (County/Region/City) Paramedic Service(s)" including my service just last year. (Like the new name, hate the graphics on the new patch)
Severa services in Colorado have done the same, and I like it. Paramedic Services are just one of the many things our Health Service District provides (well hopefully someday).

ParamedicServicesLife.com?

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Funny things are in Canada anyways we're rapidly getting away from the term EMS too. In even the last few years, easily a dozen services in Ontario have dropped EMS and gone to "_____ (County/Region/City) Paramedic Service(s)" including my service just last year. (Like the new name, hate the graphics on the new patch)
Ya, I have also noticed this. It's a slippery slope though. I have heard the actual word "paramedic" is protected in some countries with clear definition of who is allowed to use it and who is not. If we go by the American definition, it's the highest level prehospital care provider. Simple, and if you're not a paramedic you're a "technician" either EMT or EMT-A. It's super confusing having ACP's and PCP's in some countries, and then down in Australia having ICP's vs. P's Ps vs. ECP's... in the UK and South Africa... The "P" stands for paramedic... why make it so complicated? It confuses me so I can only imagine the public's perception. I like the term EMS and prehospital care because they are broad terms which encompass everyone.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
A lot has changed since the forum was created. Like medicine, things are constantly evolving. One thing is the fact that paramedics have dropped the EMT nomenclature not only nationally, but pretty much internationally. NREMT-P no longer exist. EMT-P is becoming fairly rare and is now just "paramedic". Education and industry standards continue to change and so does EMS. EMT is now pretty well recognized as a different provider than paramedic. Therefore, the current title of the forum is somewhat misleading and outdated in my opinion. There are also a small minority of providers who work in EMS who are not EMT's and paramedics, such as flight nurses and medical directors for example.

I propose changing the T, to an S. EMSLIFE would represent the forum more accurately and encompass all providers and reflect the forums "brand" more accurately

Any thoughts?
Nope. EMT is where it all starts at. Besides, this forum is for EMTs and Paramedics. Not just one or the other. And as stated, EMSLIFE is already taken. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader