EMTLife Announces Premium Memberships

Achilles

Forum Moron
Maybe it is just a coincidence many of the premium members are also the :censored::censored::censored::censored: disturbers of the forum

No! Jpinfv isn't premium :p

Achilles

Forum Moron
JPINFV is a poor medical student living student loan check to student loan check.

10,000 + posts you should be grandfathered in.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
JPINFV is a poor medical student living student loan check to student loan check.

I know medical students complain about their debt, but honestly, my two friends who have just graduated will earn $70,000 a year as a House Surgeon and by the time they are a Senior Registrar in 5 years time they will be on $90-100,000 then even more as a Consultant so it's all relative ...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I know medical students complain about their debt, but honestly, my two friends who have just graduated will earn $70,000 a year as a House Surgeon and by the time they are a Senior Registrar in 5 years time they will be on $90-100,000 then even more as a Consultant so it's all relative ...

Yea...but many still scrape by to get to that level. I don't see your point.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief

The Paramedic degree costs about $20,000 (at most, mine less) with a starting salary of about $38,000 and the top salary you can make hope to make, ever, as an Intensive Care Paramedic is about $65,000. A Medical degree costs about $70,000, starting salary as a House Surgeon is about $70,000 and after 5 years you will be on about $90,000, rising to $120,000-$150,000 as a Consultant (so after 7 years).

So while the cost of a medical degree is quite high, it is almost one of the highest, the pay is also extremely high and starting salary tops what many other professions, even health professions, will make after five to ten years into their jobs or simply exceeds what they can ever hope to make; an Intensive Care Paramedic with 5 or even 10 years on the job will never make the $70k a first year House Officer makes.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

Regardless of how much he will potentially make in the future it does not change the fact that at this current time, he is broke as a joke.

JPINFV

Gadfly

I'll probably have around $4-500,000 in debt when I graduate, have 3-4 years of making $40-50,000 while working 60-80 hours a week (80 is the cap, and it's really an open joke since many students falsify their hours anyways to stay under it). This doesn't even take into account the lost wages during undergrad and medical school (and people like me, grad school as well) or interest on the loan principle.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The Paramedic degree costs about $20,000 (at most, mine less) with a starting salary of about $38,000 and the top salary you can make hope to make, ever, as an Intensive Care Paramedic is about $65,000. A Medical degree costs about $70,000, starting salary as a House Surgeon is about $70,000 and after 5 years you will be on about $90,000, rising to $120,000-$150,000 as a Consultant (so after 7 years).

$70k is about my loans for a year, give or take, including living expenses.

So while the cost of a medical degree is quite high, it is almost one of the highest, the pay is also extremely high and starting salary tops what many other professions, even health professions, will make after five to ten years into their jobs or simply exceeds what they can ever hope to make; an Intensive Care Paramedic with 5 or even 10 years on the job will never make the $70k a first year House Officer makes.
Except how much longer has the paramedic been making money for. Opportunity cost, the cost that no one on the outside looks at.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Regardless of how much he will potentially make in the future it does not change the fact that at this current time, he is broke as a joke.

Exactly what I was trying to get at. I saw a cool article with a graph comparing total income over a lifetime of a UPS driver and a Doctor and the UPS driver had the MD beat out until the mid to late 40s if I remember correctly.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
i should get two key chains since i didn't have a paypal account prior to this <.<

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Exactly what I was trying to get at. I saw a cool article with a graph comparing total income over a lifetime of a UPS driver and a Doctor and the UPS driver had the MD beat out until the mid to late 40s if I remember correctly.

Ya but that UPS driver will never own a Lamborghini or a Yacht :p Damn Cardiologists

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You should give all that are over 4000 posts free premium memberships as thanks for helping make emtlife a popular site and getting it high up on the search engines.

No, over 8,200 posts! Just kidding. Good idea, sounds very familiar!

mycrofft

I'll probably have around $4-500,000 in debt when I graduate, have 3-4 years of making $40-50,000 while working 60-80 hours a week (80 is the cap, and it's really an open joke since many students falsify their hours anyways to stay under it). This doesn't even take into account the lost wages during undergrad and medical school (and people like me, grad school as well) or interest on the loan principle.

Once you have the loan, you are in debt to the amount you need to make for the next payment. When planning the loan, then you consider the larger picture. Otherwise, we would all take out loans we can't repay, or forego taking loans we need to live a better life, INCLUDING making payments. If they are making so much more money, how come cabbies aren't retiring at age 40 and buying second homes?

I had co-workers panicking because their houses were financially "under water". They could make payments, they could wait out the slump unless forced to sell and even then they might not make back their investment but would still "survive and operate" (unless the had mortgages they didn't mention). Gotta focus down.
=================
This site's owner/operators have been doing this for years without compensation other than our snappy repartee. Send money. (Cookies are nice too).

Achilles

Forum Moron

That 3-4 years of 40-50 k is as a resident right?

mycrofft

Can we get a Platinum Avatar? Or Titanium? Or tungsten?...

PS: I trademark* MYCROFFT and any name that contains those letters in that order and proximity.

*dibs

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Can we get a Platinum Avatar? Or Titanium? Or tungsten?...

PS: I trademark* MYCROFFT and any name that contains those letters in that order and proximity.

*dibs

Then I'm gonna switch the first F with the second one. The letters won't be in the same order then :p

mycrofft

Then I'm gonna switch the first F with the second one. The letters won't be in the same order then :p

R. M c f f t o y
is still available