EMT training first?

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
In response to Monkey Squasher I am 16 and I live in a small rural town of about 4,000 people. I really wanted to go ahead and do some EMT training while I am in high school but I don't want to wait till my senior year even though I know I have to. At the accident I was the only one whose hands didn't shake and could actually stop the victim from bleeding too much. So it is possibly to be a working EMT and go to nursing school to be a trauma nurse? Anyone of ya'll who live in Texas, what colleges have good nursing programs?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
TCC up here in Ft Worth has a decent program.

Couple of programs in the Dallas area aren't too bad, they seem to send out competent nurses.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
emt-basic skills are valuable in the in hospital setting. IMO every nurse should get basic training.

And they get hired as ER nurses much more quickly. I work in a large metro area lucky enough to have 4 major medical centers. There is no doubt which nurses get hired first for ER/Trauma. The 6 month investment is worth it IMO.

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
Has anyone heard anything about how Blinn's nursing program is? It is located in College Station.

How do you get an EMT-B liscense?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Most community colleges have an EMT class that you can take, and it's typically a semester long.

In the state of Texas, to hold an ECA, EMT, Intermediate or Paramedic certification, you must be 18.

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
Some suggested that I do my EMT-B my senior year after I turn 18. Would that be a good choice then? I mean is it like really too stressful to do on top of school?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No, EMT class is not "too much" on top of school. I took it with a full college load, and college is more demanding than high school, and I did fine.

Each person is different though, and I knew people who were ONLY taking EMT and failed horribly.

Just study and comprehend and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
Well I am a good multi-tasker and obviously can handle pressure very well. And I have all A's in school so I should be able to handle it. Thanks!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Just wait until you have to make actual life and death decisions for people, then tell me you handle pressure well :)

But you have promise considering you did more than your classmates, and apparently any adults on scene. So long as you followed SS/BSI :p

Just take chem, biology, and anatomy in highschool to set yourself up for a possible future career in medicine. You can start EMT while still being 17, but you can't be certified until after your 18th birthday.

I don't know where in Texas you live, but if you have a professional EMS agency nearby you can probably do some ridealongs, and during the ride alongs you can be in some emergent situations and can tell whether or not you can think clearly in them, even if it is just gathering the correct supplies for the crew when asked. Get your CPR cert and they might even let you partake in chest compressions during a code.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, take AP classes if you have them available and start knocking out pre-reqs now. Just taking AP Bio alone gave me a headstart. See how old you have to be to be a CNA.... there is no minimum age out here and many high school students get it. That way you could become a CNA first, and an EMT once you turn 18.

8jimi8

CFRN
Think tx age for Cna is 16

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
I have already taken biology and am finishing chemistry and will be taking anatomy my senior year. I was wondering what I would do if I was put in a accident situation and when I was then I knew my answer because I was the only one not freaking out. Kinda seemed natural.

Eydawn

Forum Crew Member
Yes, just like it's possible to be an RN and an airline pilot. They're separate things. You go to EMT training to become an EMT. You go to CNA classes to become a CNA. You can hold both simultaneously.

Wendy
CO EMT-B

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
I thought of another question! Could I start doing my EMT-B as soon as I am 17 next Jan.? And then actaully get the liscense when I turn 18? How long would it take?

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
Yes you can be a CNA and an EMT. They are very different jobs. Being an EMT can be fun, being a CNA....not so much. You can actually get a job out of high school as a CNA, good luck trying to do that as an EMT. Both can be stressful for different reasons. ER techs are kind of a cross between both, so getting both would help with that.

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
This probably sounds bad but I want to be where the action is. So if a CNA doesn't get much action then I would probably be bored.

medic417

The Truth Provider
This probably sounds bad but I want to be where the action is. So if a CNA doesn't get much action then I would probably be bored.

Then emt is not the answer as it is going to be boring as often if not more often than a cna.

8jimi8

CFRN
Then emt is not the answer as it is going to be boring as often if not more often than a cna.

except when you are playing XBOX at the station while you are getting PAID.