EMT training first?

8jimi8

CFRN
Not to mention, it isn't your job to measure everyone piss and poop, or make their beds as an EMT...or pass trays...

but then you do get to do some cool stuff like, learning phlebotomy.

Or if you become a CNA in an ICU, you'll definitely be where the action is. Probably get to learn about 12 leads and do cpr, etc. etc. (but also passing trays, measuring poop....giving bed baths... putting bags over people's anuses... lol)

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
This probably sounds bad but I want to be where the action is. So if a CNA doesn't get much action then I would probably be bored.

Yeah it does sound bad. And I didnt mean that being an EMT is action packed, I hope you havent been watching the TV show Trauma. A lot of it is waiting around doing nothing or maybe cleaning and stocking/inspecting ambulances and equipment. Even when you do go on a call its not likely to be anything particularly exciting. You also seemed to skip over the part where I mentioned it will be nearly impossible for you to get a job as an EMT when you get out of high school. If you do find one it likely wont be doing 911 calls, but instead transfering non critical patients from one facility to another.

I also didnt really say working as a CNA is boring. Its hard work and you will likely be busy trying to keep up. Unlike as an EMT you will be responsible for multiple patients at a time, not just one. You wont have time to be bored. It's just not work people would generally associate as fun or exciting, unless you consider getting hit or smacked by patients with dementia excitement.

I think getting your CNA first would make more sense if you wanna be a nurse. It would give you an idea of what its like to take care of another human being who might be completely helpless and dependant on you, in a relatively controlled environment(some people will laugh at that). It will teach you time management and organizational skills which will be important when/if you become an RN and give you a better chance to see what nurses do. It will also make you a better EMT.

Or just get both, thats what I did.

medic417

The Truth Provider
except when you are playing XBOX at the station while you are getting PAID.

But where he's at he will not be at a station. He will be driving the transfer van his entire shift with no real patient care. Now if he got his Paramedic and moved he might get the real benefits of EMS as you describe:p .

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
But where he's at he will not be at a station. He will be driving the transfer van his entire shift with no real patient care. Now if he got his Paramedic and moved he might get the real benefits of EMS as you describe:p .

Lies! I'm a Medic and I'm STILL working an IFT with no real patient care outside of the ALS transfers! I feel jipped.

If only the local 911s would call me back...

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
Well I want to be a Trauma Nurse I just thought that it might be beneficial for me to get a emt liscense first. Is that really the case? I just want alot more knowledge so I thought that I could gain it by getting an emt liscense before I graduate high school.

8jimi8

CFRN
you can, my friend.

Either license will start you on the path that you want to go on.

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
That is the hard part is deciding on that choice. And I know that this is random but do you know what a TB Skin Test is?

JPINFV

Gadfly
The TB skin test tests for tuberculosis using Purified Protein Derivitve [PPD]) to see if you have a secondary response to TB proteins. If you've been infected or vaccinated against TB, you will test positive, however it doesn't differentiate between active or inactive TB. If you are immunosuppressed, you can get a negative reading regardless of if you've been infected or not.

medic417

The Truth Provider
That is the hard part is deciding on that choice. And I know that this is random but do you know what a TB Skin Test is?

They use the biggest needle I have ever seen and jab you with it. Then based on the reading a couple of days later you are either done or get to go pay for expensive pictures of your insides.

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
Well because I got a letter today telling me that I had to get a TB Skin test to volunteer at the hospital I am going to be at this summer so I wondered what it was. I already found out though and I am not worried about it at all.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
This is advice coming from an RN who is also an emt. EMT basic skills are much more complimentary to nursing skills than CNA "skills." And you are just as likely to get a job as a patient care tech/ er or icu tech/ other unlicensed positions int he hospital with an EMT-B as a CNA. Anyone can learn how to make a bed, wash a patient, pass out trays, or d/c foleys on the job.

You aren't going to learn backboarding, c-spine precautions, solidification of knowledge concerning ambu-bagging, abcs, recognizing symptoms of shock and stroke, anaphylaxis etc. in a patient care tech class. These are basic skills that are emphasized for emts. The op also has a keen interest in trauma. This is a great way to get exposed to it. Maybe he'd rather be an ER tech than a cna passing trays and measuring urine on an ambulatory floor.

Being a nurses aid is not comparable to being an RN. We worry about so much more than the basic tech skills. EMT training actually does have some crossover, which you will see, once you start practicing as a nurse.

Being a cna is the worst way to get experience for nursing. Just my humble opinion, not calling anyone out, not trying to be mean, so hope that isn't conveyed in my tone.

excellent post.- not to mention as an EMT (at least you should be ) using critical thinking skills. not making beds and wiping a--

except when you are playing XBOX at the station while you are getting PAID.

only if its hooked up to a big screen :D

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Hey, if you get accepted in to a nursing program right out of high school with no pre-reqs, by all means do it. :rolleyes:

Chances are you'll have to do your pre-reqs(which is why they are pre-requirements :p) before you get in to a program, and even than, many programs are competitive and you aren't guaranteed to get in first time you apply... or second...or third.

If you have interest in doing EMS, might as well get the cert while doing your other needed classes.

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
Should I just skip both emt and cna and just go get a rn cert. right out of high school?

As was already mentioned, some RN programs require you already have your CNA, a bunch of students in my CNA class were only doing it because their nursing school required it. If you can get your CNA while in highschool I would do it, it's an easy class.

EMT is a little more difficult and some consider it stressful so you may want to wait til after highschool for that and just focus on academics.

This all depends on your highschool obviously, my school had nothing to do with either.

As for what you do after highschool, Its up to you, but I personally would not delay college or getting my RN to do emt training.

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
I am ambitious obviously so I will get my RN as soon as possible. Wish I could already do it now. Let's just say that I am not the norm teenage girl! I haven't thought about checking with the college first to see what pre-reqs they require.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I haven't thought about checking with the college first to see what pre-reqs they require.

Wow.... not to be a jerk or anything, but this would be step number one. If you think you have figured out what you want to do for a living... and figured that you need a certain degree for it... you should obviously figure out what the requirements are. I was looking up the local BSN programs pre-reqs as a sophomore in HS and started knocking out those requirements at a local community college before I graduated HS.... biology... english composition... A&P.... etc.

You really need to find out what the nursing programs that you wish to attend require before you even start college... otherwise you will be wasting your time taking classes you don't need and not taking classes you do.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
I am ambitious obviously so I will get my RN as soon as possible. Wish I could already do it now. Let's just say that I am not the norm teenage girl! I haven't thought about checking with the college first to see what pre-reqs they require.

you can either get your ADN (associates degree of nursing) @ a community college(2yr) or a BSN (bachelor of science in nursing) at a 4 year university/college. (With either degree you can take board exam for RN)

for both you will need to take prerequisites that include:
microbiology
chemistry
anatomy & physiology I & II
medical terminology
biology

let me add, you have to have a competitive GPA as well.

there are advantages and disadvantages to both degrees. the ADN is done faster, however you cant advance to a MSN or CRNA, Mgmt etc. unless you have a BSN.

do you want to specialize in emergency nursing?, because then taking EMT may be beneficial to you. but if you want to do L&D or ortho/neuro...then its a waste. IMHO.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Another note (granted, I have no clue how prevalent programs like this are), there are BSN programs out there where you're accepted right out of high school and the course curriculum includes the pre-reqs.

Example: UC Irvine's BSN program
http://www.cohs.uci.edu/nursing/

clibb

Forum Captain
I had a kid in my EMT-B class that was done with his credits in high school, but hadn't graduated yet. So his high school paid for his EMT class. He did really well. Passed the NREMT exam and all that. His mom is a retired Paramedic.
The NREMT class can be extremely stressful at times. Especially when you have tests you have to get a 70 or above to stay in the class. It's a 70%+ or fail class. You don't want someone with a D- practicing medicine.

I have heard of someone getting into Nursing school right out of high school, but that person was done with all of her pre-reqs before she was out of high school. She had enough credits to graduate as a Junior, but didn't since the high school will pay for her pre-reqs at a Community College if she stays with the high school. She's around 21 today and is an RN, which is awesome.

If you are new to Emergency Medicine and you want to become an ER nurse, I'd recommend taking the EMT class before getting into Nursing school.