EMT Reciprocity MN to TX

Wrar

Forum Ride Along
A) I'm a newly Nationally Registered EMTB in MN (Certified). i received an email that i passed the cognitive test. On the email it says i need to contact State EMS office to get my license to practice EMT. however, i did not contact no one when i was still in MN because i will be moving anyway and left after i took the written test. i figured i will contact the State ems office here in TX since i'm going to settle here for years to come. was that right decision to not call for licensure there? B) Also, i learned that i need to fill out a reciprocity form "completed by EACH state i currently hold or have ever held certification in" (dshs.texas.gov) how long does this process usually take? That being said am i missing something?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Since you've only been nationally registered but not state certified you are fine with having no other states send forms in. This time of year between your fingerprints and turning in the paperwork, it could be up to eight weeks before you get your texas numbers

OP
OP
W

Wrar

Forum Ride Along
Since you've only been nationally registered but not state certified you are fine with having no other states send forms in. This time of year between your fingerprints and turning in the paperwork, it could be up to eight weeks before you get your texas numbers
Okay i'm confused now there's like 3 things i need to do but don't know which one to do first. There is the finger print, Reciprocity verification and application? which one do i submit first?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Any order works. It's better to get your prints done first, as they might take the most.time

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That one you might need to call Austin and ask the DSHS main office

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You shouldn't be using the reciprocity process. You should be using the initial certification process. You send them a copy of your NREMT card, fingerprints, and the rest of the application and your money.

I've had a hell of a time with DSHS. Currently going on 12 weeks waiting on my certification but there's some things in my distant background that I had to explain and provide documentation about that has prolonged the process.

OP
OP
W

Wrar

Forum Ride Along
So i don't need to do the Reciprocity application OR Reciprocity verification? and what do you mean "the rest of the application"? the application for my license?

Last edited:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You need to call DSHS.

http://www.dshs.texas.gov/emstraumasystems/formsresources.shtm#Initial

Per that link to apply for initial application you have to have attended a DSHS approved school. With that said, if your school is accredited I'm sure that's sufficient.

Yea, sorry that was vague. Turn in your application BEFORE submitting your fingerprints, doing fingerprints first will ruin your day and make things overly complicated.

OP
OP
W

Wrar

Forum Ride Along
You need to call DSHS.

http://www.dshs.texas.gov/emstraumasystems/formsresources.shtm#Initial

Per that link to apply for initial application you have to have attended a DSHS approved school. With that said, if your school is accredited I'm sure that's sufficient.

Yea, sorry that was vague. Turn in your application BEFORE submitting your fingerprints, doing fingerprints first will ruin your day and make things overly complicated.
So im just kinda waiting right now. How would i know if im already licensed to practice EMT here in Tx? do i get email?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Dshs has a license verification. You can see if you're listed as active