EMT/Paramedics for Burning Man...AUG. 25, 2013 - SEP. 2, 2013

Paramedic16651

Forum Ride Along
Burning Man needs physicians, nurses, paramedics, EMTs and non-clinical support staff for this weeklong event. If you don't know much about Burning Man, it's literally a huge adult playground with nearly 70,000 participants last year.

Search Burning Man 2012 on YouTube to get an idea of what it's about.

You can Google Burning Man Paramedic to find out more

(I've not posted 5 or more times, so I can't include links...Lame)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
That actually looks pretty interesting. If it weren't for having to arrange travel there, it looks like it would be fun.

Lol a special kind of EMT? How so?

Chronic510

Forum Probie
've acrtually really thought about this! Only thing is that im certified in california. Not quite sure if they would upset that or not.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
As I posted before, when I looked into going here as a RN the process would have cost me hundreds of dollars and not guaranteed to be complete by the time the event occurred.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Heck, even I have considered working at Burning Man. Unfortunately, getting time off to do it is nearly impossible and this year it coincides with school starting up again, so I'd be doubly unable to go. One of these years I'll find a way to make it out there. One of these days...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ehhh, no thanks. I got my fill of event medical during our Stagecoach and Coachella Festival weekends.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I think I'm gonna try to do it next year I saw it on Dr Bledsoe's Facebook wall a little too late to apply for reciprocity this year.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
One trouble with event medical is that it attracts people who see it primarily as a means to get into venues cheap or free, when there are others who see it as a potential means to make some money. When I'm hypothetically paid $5/hr (I get slightly more as a RN but still doing first aid), the wet t-shirts and getting to show off an event staff shirt of my own don't make up for the fact I'm losing money after mileage, billeting, meals, expended or lost materials. Not to mention having to park with the hoipoloi which is usually half a mile away.

Not saying the care isn't as good as they are allowed to give, but it's one more avenue for EMS trained people to get worked cheap. If standards are let slip and a licensed person doesn't act on that, it could cost your license too.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
When I spoke to Burning Man/HGH ems they were only hiring clinical staff, not road staff (this was 2-3 months ago).

Has this changed?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That'll take a special kind of EMT to go there. No thank you.

You'd be surprised at the crowd. Sure there are a lot of hippies and what not but there are plenty of doctors, lawyers, judges and corporate executives that go religiously. It originated as an Art Festival. I love when it's time for Burning Man. Always meet a ton of cool people and see some crazy art cars wandering around the city.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
My father worked out at burning man as a paramedic with the ambulance company that covers the event, he loved it and has some pretty cool pics of things people build out there. He has one pic of a toilet but it's also a mortocycle it's pretty awesome.