Emt-i

lampnyter

Forum Captain
I am currently an EMT-B in CT and i was thinking about going to EMT-I/AEMT before doing paramedic. I plan on going paramedic in a few years but i wanted some info on the EMT-I course. How long is the course? I googled it and couldnt find anything. Also, is it just a pharmacology course or do they go over basic EMT skills again?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
The first step would be to find schools that teach EMT-I and then go to their sites for info. Here I think it's a two term course (roughly 6-7 months) and they go over more advanced airways, IV's, a few more drugs and a few other things if I remember correctly. Also, from what I've been told they don't really go into depth about how and why the drugs work, so not a lot of pharmacology.

Then again, I never took intermediate so maybe someone else can chime in and give a more detailed answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
so the medic program wont seem so overwhelming. im so used to going one step at a time, i started at MRT and then went to EMT. I like to have some field experience before i go to next level

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
so the medic program wont seem so overwhelming. im so used to going one step at a time, i started at MRT and then went to EMT. I like to have some field experience before i go to next level

In my opinion, you should just find a medic program. You will save money in the long run and will be a "P", the gold standard of prehospital care when it is over. All these people debate having field experience before medic school, but I have seen many people go to medic school right out of their EMT program and succeed. If your EMT program was good and taught you what they were supposed too then you will be fine in medic school.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I hate anecdotal evidence, but many people enroll in Paramedic school when they are 18, straight out of high school, with no experience and do just fine.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I hate anecdotal evidence, but many people enroll in Paramedic school when they are 18, straight out of high school, with no experience and do just fine.

Also, let's not forget. EMT-Intermediate will be abolished when the new standards come into effect. All EMT-I/85's will become EMT-Advanced and all EMT-I/99's will have to become Paramedics. Plus, if I may quote some of the more seasoned providers I have spoken too on this site, "Why would you pay to become an 'almost' paramedic when you could go ahead and take the paramedic class from the get go?".

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
yea i see what your saying, i just feel like im missing out without the experience

Why? Trust me, you will have more than enough clinicals in Paramedic school. You will have so many clinicals that you will be praying for just a few hours of free time.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If I were in your position I would go straight on to medic school. There really is no point at stopping at any of the levels to gain experience

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I agree with everyone else, just take the plunge and go to medic school, you should be just fine if you really buckle down and focus.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with the rest, go straight for your Medic. Most the EMT-I (Enhanced)'s in my area are taking the Paramedic refresher anyway, even though they are not technically Paramdics. They do just fine. :ph34r:

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Go for medic school, if your going to learn some of the skills you might as well learn them all, get the gold standard of EMS education and the disco patch. I went with CC because my Fire dept. paid for it. If I had to pay definitely would have chose medic school.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I am currently an EMT-B in CT and i was thinking about going to EMT-I/AEMT before doing paramedic. I plan on going paramedic in a few years but i wanted some info on the EMT-I course. How long is the course? I googled it and couldnt find anything. Also, is it just a pharmacology course or do they go over basic EMT skills again?

EMT-I is a good choice for students who either financially choose to, or choose to take the advanced steps one at a time. 99 consists of a bit more A/P, some pharm, advanced airway, ecg interp, IV/fluids and acid base. It is about 200-280 hours. The rest is a review of the Basic EMT course material.

I-85 is bit more A/P, Basic review, acid base, advanced airway and IV/fluids. 85 is about 190 hours with clinical/ride time. States may vary a bit.

And just as a side note; bullying someone into a course he/she is not prepared to take is a **** way to treat another human being. I've failed plenty of students who would have been successful had they taken the (any level) courses in a more step-wise manner. They either bit off more than they could chew...or friends pressured them into something they weren't ready to do. Ignore any unecessary pressures and do exactly what is right for your own education. You will be more confident and your patients will be grateful :) Good luck.

aewin90

Forum Crew Member
The -I cert is good if you can use it with a service that staffs I/P crews because you can better assist the medic and gain a deeper understanding of how ALS works.

But maybe you shouldn't listen to me. Every medic program in my area will laugh you right out of the state if you don't show up with an -I card. ;)

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Depending on where you live, you may not be able to get in a Paramedic course if you do not already possess an Intermediate certification. Having precepted both those who did and those who didn't have their EMT-I before their Paramedic, I would say that those who obtained their EMT-I with field experience did better. I found that those who streamlined straight through had a tougher time with patient contact and assessments. Their skills were fine, they just weren't comfortable talking to or touching patients. But do what makes you feel most comfortable.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
And just as a side note; bullying someone into a course he/she is not prepared to take is a **** way to treat another human being. I've failed plenty of students who would have been successful had they taken the (any level) courses in a more step-wise manner. They either bit off more than they could chew...or friends pressured them into something they weren't ready to do. Ignore any unecessary pressures and do exactly what is right for your own education. You will be more confident and your patients will be grateful :) Good luck.

Who is bullying? The OP asked for opinions and we gave them.

Last edited by a moderator:

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
I am not trying to bully anyone. But I do know that when a student fails a class yes, I would look at the student. Yet, when many a students are failed then I would look at the instructor. :eek: :lol: