EMT-I in MA

snaketooth10k

Forum Crew Member
Hey if any intermediates from mass are on, I'd just like to know a few things about what you do. By a few I mean a lot. :rolleyes:

Do you work on a BLS or ALS ambulance or your own?

Are you paid, volly, or both?

What ALS skills do you learn in addition to BLS?

Can you take a class that will upgrade your emt-b cert to emt-i?

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?

Do any of you know if Worcester State has its own FAS with Intermediate providers?

How many hours is the standard EMT-I course?

Do many colleges offer the course?

Where do babies come from?

Are there any other questions I should ask?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey if any intermediates from mass are on, I'd just like to know a few things about what you do. By a few I mean a lot. :rolleyes:

What ALS skills do you learn in addition to BLS?

Can you take a class that will upgrade your emt-b cert to emt-i?

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?

Do any of you know if Worcester State has its own FAS with Intermediate providers?

How many hours is the standard EMT-I course?

Do many colleges offer the course?

Where do babies come from?

Are there any other questions I should ask?

Okay, I'll take a stab at this, in the order asked.

1) AFAIU, ILS is only recognized by MA EMS region I, II, and III, that is western MA, central MA, and northeastern MA. Metro boston and the south shore just dont acknowledge its existence. At least in western MA, many fire departments maintain ILS ambulances, mostly so they can bill for ALS, start a line KVO and draw labs. Anything major is going to get a ALS (medic) intercept.

2) The above mentioned Fire Departments are slowly moving away from the vollie model, towards paid crews during the day/week, supplemented by volunteers on the nights/weekends, which means they can maintain fairly consistent ILS coverage. County Ambulance in Pittsfield, MA (the ONLY ALS intercept service west of springfield runs BLS, ILS and ALS trucks, although mostly P/B or I/B.

3) The parts of MA that accept Is conform to the I/85 guidelines, so the difference in skills is the ability to start lines, draw labs, and hang NS, as well as endotracheal (sp?) intubation in some circumstances.

4) Yes, there are a few I classes, most notably at Springfield college. You can find the complete list of facilities that are able to teach the program here:
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2t...ices_p_emt_training_institutions&csid=Eeohhs2

5) Unsure.

6) Unsure, but I do know that AMR is pulling out of WEMS territory, they dont like being the first mutual aid, and it looks like EasCare is going to take that over.

7) Check out the following for more info:
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2t...s_p_training_course_intermediate&csid=Eeohhs2

8) See above

9) Stork? Ask mommy.

10) You tell me.

I hope this info helps. If I have made any mistakes, PLEASE correct me.

DES

OP
OP
S

snaketooth10k

Forum Crew Member
thanks a ton bro! I'm glad to see I can take my training to the next level when i go to college.

Nickjm908

Forum Ride Along

Q. What ALS skills do you learn in addition to BLS?
A. We learn to ET tube, combi-tube, Standard IV (no meds)

Q.Can you take a class that will upgrade your emt-b cert to emt-i?
A. Yes, its a standard class not too many places offer though

Q.How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?
A. Will anyone ever know? lol

Q.Do any of you know if Worcester State has its own FAS with Intermediate providers?
A. idk but north shore of Boston does not regconize EMT-I's you're either a basic or a medic... Boston EMS even if you are a medic you're on probation for 2yrs. and must work as a basic.

Q.How many hours is the standard EMT-I course?
A. Way too many... idk if you can figure it out... Mondays and Wed's ive been going for a semester at college from 6:30-9:30 (9-1-08 - 11-24-08)

Q.Do many colleges offer the course?
A. Mine does...

Q.Where do babies come from?
A. As my 5y/o cuzin says.... mommy and daddy get stuck and then way later when mommy gets fat and daddy does not love her anymore I get a baby brother to deal with ={

Q.Are there any other questions I should ask?
A. Nahhhhh that covers it allllllll but if ya find the answer to the lollipop i'd love ta know. lol