EMT drop out?

socalemt123

Forum Crew Member
We started out with 77 students in our EMT-B course and graduated with 33.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
This may sound harsh, but anyone who drops out of an EMT-B class because they can't handle the workload is a moron.

Yeah, although to only a slightly lesser extent the same goes for all EMS programs. Although as an instructor, if we didn't flunk >50% of the class I began to wonder if I was trying hard enough to weed people out.

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
We started out with 77 students in our EMT-B course and graduated with 33.

Damn you all have some huge classes. I think there was maybe a dozen of us in both my EMT and EMT-I courses from the start. Likewise, my cardiopulmonary course in the Air Force had 12 and graduated 6 or 7.

WaNewbie

Forum Probie
We started with 17. One guy quit the first week. So 16 took the final exam, which you had to make at least an 80% on and only 11 passed. Of those 11, three failed nationals.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Started with 22, finished with 22.

My class was a little different, it was taught at my college (4 year BA programs) and the only students were undergrads. We all took it as an adjunct side class. An 80 average was required at the middle and end of the class, as was at least an 80 on the mid-term and final. Should you fail out, you would receive an F on your school wide transcript (a fairly significant gpa drag). You would also of course lose your money. Several were close to failing but everyone ended up making it.

Of those 22 I have no idea how many actually took the NR or state test, I know of at least six that passed tests on their first try. I don't hold not taking the test against a lot of people in my class. A few of them just needed to complete the class for an on campus job, and a lot of people were interested in just furthering their WFR knowledge.

WickedGood

Forum Crew Member
My EMT-B class had 42 people in it and we ended up with 15 that took the final exam and all passed to go to the state exam. All 15 of us passed state.
It was full of redneck, volly firefighters who had barely passed HS....

My EMT-I class had 17 people in it. We lost 3 on the final exam and of the 14 that went to state 3 failed. We had to maintain an 80% average thru the class and get at least a 80% on the final. I don't think that teacher will be teaching that class again.......

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't remember for basic, but for medic we started with 36, and graduated with 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
About 10% attrition in my basic class (low for the school)

I'm not letting anyone drop out of my intermediate class. We only have 8 and they're all smart enough to pass if they try. If anyone else drops out we won't have enough people to practice on.

EMT-23

Forum Crew Member
there were about 15 people in my class, no one dropped out...but 2 ppl failed the final...

mommak90

Forum Ride Along
my class started out with 18 students, by the second semester we only had 8 (all dropped-out), at graduation there were 6 of us. We graduated in May and only myself and one other person out of my class have actually taken and passed the NREMT and are licensed. Only 2 of the others have taken it, but failed. No-one has heard anything from the other 2 since graduation, including our instructor.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
My EMT Program.

Pass rates for any school or programs have to be weighed against the fact that many EMT Schools have open admisions.

I took my EMT-b class from a private EMT school in 2010. They advertise a pass rate for the NYS DOH Test of 98%. What they do not publish is the gross difference of how many people enroll in the class and how many people actually sit for the NYS test.

When I first signed up, there were seventy-five people. (The school has open admissions.) The room was over flowing. The class met twice a week for 3 1/2 months. There was a pro-rated drop out refund for the first three weeks. A few people left during that time.

Then there were several points where the program would drop people (however, they were allowed to re-enroll within a year for 50% off).

You neded a 70% or above quiz average to take the first quarterly test.

At least a 70% on the first test.

At least a 70% on the mid term test.

At least 70% on the final test.

Pass the practical. If someone failed a station they were given a second chance the same session and if they failed overall they were given a second chance on a different session (with no re-takes).

Then one could sit for the NYS DOH Test. When I took it, I counted 28 people. I do not know how many passed.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Paramedic Schools in Greater NY Area.

The Paramedic Schools I looked into do not have open admissions. They require an EMT Certificate to be held for one year and that person to have had 100 patient contacts. They also require an interview in front of an admissions board.

I am making a guess they want to screen people before accepting there 8k check and then have to drop them. For the $800 for an EMTb class I think they are happy to take the money...

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
At least in NYC, there is no EMT-b school that has selective admissions.

Form what I have seen and heard, it is not so much the school but who the actual instructor is. Many instructors work at more than one school and skip around due to schedule, etc. People who know people already in EMS find out where and when a particular instructor is wokring and try to get into that section.

Just like any school, etc, most of it is what the student puts into it.

hurley

Forum Ride Along
Started with 20, finished with 12. A couple dropped out for personal reasons, the rest failed the early tests, and our program had a strict grade policy.

RookieEmt

Forum Probie
My course started out with about 40 people. At the end, there were about 12 - 15 people in the course. 1 failed the final exam and was prevented from taking the state exam.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
My schol purposely makes their final harder than the NYS Test. However, I received 90 on the school test and 79 on the NYS test.

Probably my own anxiety did that.

Sodapop

Forum Crew Member
My PM class started with 36. We lost one in the first month who opted for the US Army instead. The remaining 35 went through all 8 months of didactic and at the end we lost 2 on finals. One could not pass the written (he should have failed out sooner and the world is better off without him trying to do ALS) and the other choked on practicals from severe test anxiety.

Of the remaining 33 that are going into clinicals I expect that there may be 3 that can not handle it and make it to the end.

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
Emt-b

my EMT-B class only ahs a 50% pass rate. And its not due to lack of good instructors the ones at my college are AMAZING. They really care about their job and the students. Some people just arent cut out for it and some people just havent been in any type of school or are literally too small (im talking men and women) to be able to handle going up and down several flights of stairs with a stair chair with a patient in it.

In my class of 40 after we started doing practicals and we lost about 5 or so due to the physical aspects. Then a few left because of family/personal reasons and once midterms (practicals/written) came around we lost another 10 or so due to failing grades and because of failed grades not being able to sign up for clinical rotations which bars them from taking the licensing exam.

Right now just a couple weeks after midterms my class of 40 is down to about 22. Though i will say the class is relatively easy as long as you actually study. I have a medical background (was going to do nursing) and alot of it was common sence or at least something i remember learning about but you still need to study the people that come in and think they can just take scenario based exam questions and not need to study protocols or steps involved in particular situations are just setting themselves up for failure.

And its only going to get harder if these same lazy students think the paramedic course is going to be the same or any easier.