EMT drop out?

EMSANTHEM

Forum Crew Member
In ct

in CT , we started off with over 80 students first night by the end 30-something.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
So what do you guys think the reasons are for so many people dropping out of your classes? Seems like a lot of double digit numbers being tossed around in here. It cant be that its too difficult, maybe people realize that blood freaks them out?

EMSANTHEM

Forum Crew Member
I here you as i stated above alot of dropouts. Some try balancing it with working full time and can't hack it. In this profession and for any schooling I beileve you have to really want to do and want it. I'm making a career out of EMS, others who knows? one guy in my class said he was taking the class so he could be firefighter but constanly failed. You have to want it. What so you think "Chief". ?

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
I here you as i stated above alot of dropouts. Some try balancing it with working full time and can't hack it. In this profession and for any schooling I beileve you have to really want to do and want it. I'm making a career out of EMS, others who knows? one guy in my class said he was taking the class so he could be firefighter but constanly failed. You have to want it. What so you think "Chief". ?

I would think thats about right. Balancing a career and school can be difficult for some people. Im wondering if most people drop out once they find out how much EMTs make, or how competetive the job market is.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Just curious as to know how many people dropped out of your EMT-B, AEMT, or Paramedic course? The average average drop out at my school is between 20 and 22 people

I don't remember as far as my EMTB course, for Paramedic I think maybe 1-2 dropped out on their own, and the others failed out that didn't graduate. we started with 40 and graduated 18.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
So what do you guys think the reasons are for so many people dropping out of your classes? Seems like a lot of double digit numbers being tossed around in here. It cant be that its too difficult, maybe people realize that blood freaks them out?

As an Instructor I do not see many people dropping out, I see a lot of people failing out though.

Most of the EMTB fails I have seen are people who have completed a Fire Academy and are getting the EMTB cert just to appease the FF requirements for a Dept. However, they are not able to pass the test and quizes. And EMT class is a lot harder than a Fire Academy as far as Academics is concerned.

For Medics, most fails are because people are unable to comprehend and apply the material. Not everyone is Medic material but as instructor we sure do try hard to help you.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Our b class lost abount 50 percent

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
...and some ppl are just idiots.

sorry, I'm a cynic, but I still cannot believe the level of idiocy some of these people displayed. However, most of my class were hard-working people who had real jobs now (a lot of construction and a few military honestly) who wanted to do something else with their lives, who had families and busy lives. There were defintely some struggles (not just mine) but our instructor was great and very helpful. If you ask for help, most ppl will help you, in my experience. Most of our class were in their late-20s, early-30s, a few were older than that, and a few younger ones. I won't go on that tangent again about those stupid girls, but most of my class was pretty awesome.

On a side note, I love the thread about what our other/previous jobs/careers have been. Lots of different experiences!