EMT Boot Camp Starts Monday

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Here is the class description:

Day 1: Registration, Intro to Emergency Care, Well Being of the EMT, The Human Body, Lifting and Moving.

Day 2: CPR, Base Line Vital Signs.

Day 3: Airway, Airway lab, Open Lab, Written Eval.

Day 4: Scene Size-up, Initial assessment, focused physical Hx, & Physical Exam (Trauma), Focused Physical Hx and physical exam (Medical).

Day 5: Medical Legal, Ongoing Assessment, Communications, Documentation, Lab Patient Assessment.

Day 6: Eval Module 3, Respiratory Emergencies, Cardiovascular Emergencies, Lab Material to date.

Day 7: Diabetic Emergencies, Allergies, General Pharmacology, Lab Material to date.

Day 8: Poisonings/overdose, Environmental Emergencies, Behavioral, OB, Lab Material to date.

Day 9: Eval Module 4, Bleeding & Shock, Soft Tissue Injury, Lab Bleeding and Shock.

Day 10: Musculoskeletal Care, Chest/Abdomen, Injuries to the Head and Spine, Open Lab.

Day 11: Lab Trauma, Eval Module 5.

Day 12: Infants & Children, Lab Material to Date, Ambulance Ops, Overviews.

Day 13: Gaining Access, Open Lab.

Day 14: Situational Reviews, Open Lab.

Day 15: Local Final Written, Open Lab.

Day 16: Local Final Eval Practical.

Day 17: State Final Practical Exam, State Final Practical Re-test

Day 18: State Final Written.

Day 19: (Optional Makeup)

Just wondering for you other PA EMS providers, when will I have my actual certificate. Am I waiting for them to mail it to me or do I get it upon successful completion of the course.

Also, since this is a fast paced course and seeing the course outline, is there anything that you think I should do additional education on (yes I am planning on getting my Paramedic, but I mean immediately)? The anatomy and stuff I am pretty good on from High School Advanced Bio and I also have had Bio and Chem in college.

Thanks for the input in advanced.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Just wondering for you other PA EMS providers, when will I have my actual certificate

After retaking the test because of a substandard training course that insufficiently covered the material..............................

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
Just wondering for you other PA EMS providers, when will I have my actual certificate. Am I waiting for them to mail it to me or do I get it upon successful completion of the course.

Where are you taking this course? which part of PA?

After completion of the test you are notified by mail. pass or fail they mail you the info. or they did, but I doubt things have changed that much.

Also, since this is a fast paced course and seeing the course outline, is there anything that you think I should do additional education on (yes I am planning on getting my Paramedic, but I mean immediately)? The anatomy and stuff I am pretty good on from High School Advanced Bio and I also have had Bio and Chem in college.

Not really sure what to tell you brush up on. you can go over your 1st responder book again. You won't need the Chem. any bio you know is always helpful.

No clinicals?

I got started in PA. I got my 1st responder and my Basic in Allentown. If I remember correctly, my clinicals consisted of 12 or 24 hrs of ride time. that was it. But was a normal Basic class, not this Basic Camp thingy.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Here is the class description:

~snip~

Also, since this is a fast paced course and seeing the course outline, is there anything that you think I should do additional education on (yes I am planning on getting my Paramedic, but I mean immediately)?

Dude, that's a lot of stuff; don't worry about what else you need until you get this monster behind you...

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
wayyy tooo shorttt.....

crash courses teach you nothing!!!! just how to cram

MGary

Forum Probie
If the test is NREMT you find out online, usu. same day.

Learn the basics by heart. Know vital signs. Know CPR like none other. (ex. 2 professional rescuer CPR on a child = 15:2)

Don't worry about ANY ALS skills. Yes, they're fun to know. No, they won't help you on the test. Worry about Basic, and Basic only.

Study the ins and outs of things like OB and Medicals (SOB, Poisonings, etc) study these well.

DO NOT worry about acronyms or abbreviations. At least for me, they were not on the test. The only acronym even mentioned was AVPU and even then they didn't want the breakdown of what it stood for, they just wanted to know what it was used for (assessment of responsiveness of unconscious patient)

Know the order of things. If you come up on an OB, what do you do first? (By the book) Then what? And? Then? Finally? Get the picture?

Good luck. I wish my Basic was this condensed. My CNA is 3 months to 3 weeks kinda like this, but my EMT was 4 looong months.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Good luck. I wish my Basic was this condensed. My CNA is 3 months to 3 weeks kinda like this, but my EMT was 4 looong months.

Does anyone else see a problem with this? Why would one want to have a "condensed" course which would implicate and promote poor retention, being taught half arse, not being allowed to develop, practice and master skills to proficiently. Looking at your schedule, only represents your "camp" sucks. Tell me how much practice time or patient assessments you performed or scenario simulations? How many vital signs did you take before you where out of the class. Yeah, it looks like a great first aid class.

Four months too long? Two weeks long enough? Geez.. and they wonder what is wrong with our profession?

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Nodding my head and biting my tongue, all at the same time...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
This thread is a perfect example of why fast food makes more money than EMS

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Wow 18 long hard days. This course should turn out some great EMTs. Need to use this as the new national training standard.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Not really sarcasm. Just a jab at the thought of taking something that is simple to begin with and trying to simplify it even more. This is in my opinion one reason this field is having trouble moving forward.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Wow 18 long hard days. This course should turn out some great EMTs. Need to use this as the new national training standard.

I only count 14 days with the others being just testing.

But, for many places, this has been a "standard" with the option to continue to the 3 month Paramedic class.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant

But, for many places, this has been a "standard" with the option to continue to the 3 month Paramedic class.

My bad counted wrong.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant

3 month Paramedic class?
are you serious, someone can become a medic in only 3 months? this is a scary thought?

is this for real?

Sasha

Forum Chief
oooh, the sarcasm...it is dripping all over the place...you better clean up your mess...

So I take it you're in support of a ridiculous program like this?

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
So I take it you're in support of a ridiculous program like this?

um...NO...I was merely commenting on his response that seemed to overly saturated with sarcasm...I was commenting strictly on sarcasm and not what he said...

I don't like it any more than anyone else here...I am sure that if the camp had 20 ppl, we might see 1 or 2 decent basics come from this class, which 2:20-only 10%, but the regular class has a much better turn out.

this camp thing is gonna happen, and I am at least glad this kid wants to succeed, will he, I don't know. for him, since he is going this this camp, he will need to do extra work after the camp for him to retain and improve what he gets thrown at him at camp...

Sasha

Forum Chief
Personally I think if one wants to succeed, they'd take the time to do it right. In education, speed is not the name of the game.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This thread is a perfect example of why fast food makes more money than EMS

This is also why those of the fast food are more trained and educated within their profession. How embarassing and demeaning to the EMS profession.

New Title: Drive Thru Medics....