EMT BASIC STUDENT

Dylan B

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys! I just joined this website, I'm 18 ( just turned 18 ) and I start my EMT basic class next Monday, I was just wondering what like advice you guys could offer me heading into school and hopefully eventually into the EMS world!

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
[This is a copy-paste answer.]
Read the book before going over the material in class.
Take everything you are told with a grain of salt (or handful).
Figure out what professionalism is and strive for it.

Mandatory Reading:
http://emsbasics.com/
http://prehospitalwisdom.blogspot.com/

From now on, start using Google to pull answers out of this forum. It's been around for nearly a decade now and has collected numerous answers both good and bad.
In the search bar or the Google text box type "[topic] site:emtlife.com".
Example:
EMTLIFECCREXAMPLESEARCH.png

Tk11

Forum Captain
It's a fun class. Lots of information to know and a lot of work to do but if you like the field you'll enjoy the material you're learning and you'll be fine. Study and keep up. Reading the chapters before it's covered in class is good too, but I don't think it's necessary. A lot of people will tell you too. I did for some chapters, but most I just sat through the letures of the chapters being covered first then went home and read over them and did the work required. Help me understand better, but everyone's different.

OP
OP
D

Dylan B

Forum Ride Along
Okay thanks for the advice! Yeah the huge book we got is a little intimidating but so far I've taken notes on the first three chapters and I'm hoping I won't feel like I'm behind or anything

Tk11

Forum Captain
Okay thanks for the advice! Yeah the huge book we got is a little intimidating but so far I've taken notes on the first three chapters and I'm hoping I won't feel like I'm behind or anything
I read each chapter as the were covered in class then before tests I re read ones I didn't understand much and skimmed through the others while taking notes. The book is huge, but it's really not that bad, just keep up with the class.

OP
OP
D

Dylan B

Forum Ride Along
I read each chapter as the were covered in class then before tests I re read ones I didn't understand much and skimmed through the others while taking notes. The book is huge, but it's really not that bad, just keep up with the class.
Okay thanks for the advice! I'll deff keep up with the book as much as I can and pay attention to the class as well, also, what's it like to be an EMT? Like how would you describe it

Tk11

Forum Captain
Okay thanks for the advice! I'll deff keep up with the book as much as I can and pay attention to the class as well, also, what's it like to be an EMT? Like how would you describe it
You'll have to ask someone else that hah. I actually just finished classes around May. Took the NREMT a month or two later (which I don't recommend) and I recently got offered an emt position but don't start until next week.

OP
OP
D

Dylan B

Forum Ride Along
You'll have to ask someone else that hah. I actually just finished classes around May. Took the NREMT a month or two later (which I don't recommend) and I recently got offered an emt position but don't start until next week.
Wait how come you don't recommend it? And oh snap that's legit congratulations! You'll have to tell me about it

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't settle for meeting minimums. Nothing pisses me off more than people who are content with mediocrity and just skating by, especially when it comes to this. I can accept it with McDonalds, but not for the people who could potentially help my family some day, even if it is for something simple. Put in the effort. Ask questions. Act like you want to be there or that you care about what you are learning. You don't have to be the best in the class, but if you aren't being the best you can be then you aren't putting in enough effort. And have fun....its really not that hard, it just takes a little time and effort. If you have a good teacher, it will be one of (or the) best class you will get to take, so enjoy it.

OP
OP
D

Dylan B

Forum Ride Along
Don't settle for meeting minimums. Nothing pisses me off more than people who are content with mediocrity and just skating by, especially when it comes to this. I can accept it with McDonalds, but not for the people who could potentially help my family some day, even if it is for something simple. Put in the effort. Ask questions. Act like you want to be there or that you care about what you are learning. You don't have to be the best in the class, but if you aren't being the best you can be then you aren't putting in enough effort. And have fun....its really not that hard, it just takes a little time and effort. If you have a good teacher, it will be one of (or the) best class you will get to take, so enjoy it.
Yeah I totally get that, this is something that I wouldn't take lightly and something that you have to try your best in all the time. Thanks for the advice!

Tk11

Forum Captain
Wait how come you don't recommend it? And oh snap that's legit congratulations! You'll have to tell me about it
When you pass the classes don't wait long to take your national registry, like I did. That's what I meant. But don't need to worry about that yet.

OP
OP
D

Dylan B

Forum Ride Along
When you pass the classes don't wait long to take your national registry, like I did. That's what I meant. But don't need to worry about that yet.
Ohhhhh okay I got ya, do you have to register to take the test like how far in advance? Is there a certain time?

Tk11

Forum Captain
Ohhhhh okay I got ya, do you have to register to take the test like how far in advance? Is there a certain time?
Your instructors will go over it with the class. But you don't need to worry about it yet just focus on your class.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Study and keep up. Reading the chapters before it's covered in class is good too

This. I didn't always get a chance to read ahead, but I got more out of the lectures when I did. And don't get behind. It's hard to catch up once that happens. I would even re-read the chapters before every test (it would go faster once they've already been read and all of the material has been covered).

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
A lot of things are situational. Try to adapt the things you learn to all possible situations. Have fun with it!