EMT-B Student curious about the field.

Joek9966

Forum Ride Along
I start my EMT-B course here soon, currently in school under the EMT associates degree program and am going to be going to fire academy shortly as well. i will be done with my EMT-B way before all of my fire training and will need a job along the way. I currently live in TX (northern transplant due to prior military service), i've heard it unheard of for EMT-Bs to get a job, is this true?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
What area of Texas? We are a rather large state after all... And I would imagine you could get an EMT job in just about any region of Texas.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
EMT jobs are certainly harder to come by than for a Paramedic, but far from "unheard of". You have to be willing to apply everywhere, and commute farther than you'd previously thought reasonable. But it can definitely be done in just about any region.

OP
OP
J

Joek9966

Forum Ride Along
I'm in Killeen right now, but would obviously be willing to work anywhere in central texas.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
The best advice I got in regards to jobs coming out of the fire academy was apply far and wide and take the first offer you get. If you don't like it, you can always change later, and a lot of people do, but you need to get your foot in the door and it's better to be somewhere mediocre while looking for a better position than getting no experience.

OP
OP
J

Joek9966

Forum Ride Along
i've heard that as well. Academy is only going to get me my fire 1 and EMT-B, and I always figured it would be easier to get an EMT-B position over a probie fire 1, not to mention my ultimate goal is getting my medic cert. Of course I would like to be proven wrong! haha

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
It's difficult getting a job as a firefighter/EMT around here. Not impossible, but you really don't stand out. You'll be fighting against tens to hundreds (sometimes thousands) of other candidates that have your exact same credentials. So yes, getting a job as an EMT would be much easier. There are more positions that are typically less desired.

Once you get your medic, your job opportunities will jump tremendously.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

Joek9966

Forum Ride Along
I've heard that as well, and i'm okay with that since I originally planned on getting my medic before ever realistically expecting a fire rescue gig in the first place. I know many departments even require around where I am.

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I'm in Houston and we have plenty of transport companies here. I started off at a volunteer fire department because it's the best way to get experience and they are almost always hiring.

OP
OP
J

Joek9966

Forum Ride Along
I plan on jumping in with a volly department as soon as I can, i'm just hoping I can find a EMS job at the same time.