EMT-B certification

michelie0

Forum Probie
So what exactly happens when you get your emt-b certification and where do you go from there? I know that they will give me people to contact. But what happened with you guys? How long did it take you to actually get the job you want or have now and what things did you have to do along the way?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Well about 85% will do nothing with there EMT and will allow it to expire. There is very little demand and no jobs with a decent salary. In fact, so many that most are volunteers. Then volunteer or work at a non-emergency transport or as a EVOC.

The other option is like Reaper stated.

R/r 911

OP
OP
M

michelie0

Forum Probie
why is the demand higher for paramedics than emt-bs? and by how much? also about how much did it cost you to go to patramedic school

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The reason is simple there are literally hundreds of thousands of Basic EMT's.... i.e in my rural state, we have >6,000 alone for 100 EMS services. Not to say as well, that most of those do not employ basics..

There is NO demand for EMT's.. since EMT is a simplistic, course that is accomplished in a short amount of time. The turn over is high, but readily filled.

Paramedic school varies in prices from $1500 to $23,000 .. all depends on what, how much, and what your plans are.

R/r 911

reaper

Working Bum
In Florida I think there are around 60,000+ emt-b's and only 14,000 paramedics. Since most systems here are ALS, you can figure which ones are in demand. Like most managers state " emts are a dime a dozen".

The system I work has a 5-1 ratio of medics to emts. so there is not alot of openings for emts.

Artique

Forum Crew Member
Well about 85% will do nothing with there EMT and will allow it to expire. There is very little demand and no jobs with a decent salary. In fact, so many that most are volunteers. Then volunteer or work at a non-emergency transport or as a EVOC.

The other option is like Reaper stated.

R/r 911

In riverside county there is a very high demand. I guess it depends on the area, but from what we are being taught is that Riverside county is lacking some 140+ Paramedics and EMT-B to pair. We are suppose to have 20 something firestations and we cant open them because most the EMTs are not NREMT certified or something. I dont know but Our class until 2008 is going to be iun high demand. we are one of the first for Riverside county to be NREMT certified. Pay is low but hours are available. Looking at 3 24 hour shifts with time n 1/2 for OT is nice.

OP
OP
M

michelie0

Forum Probie
oh really thats so awesome because I was thinking about moving down there soon because some of my relatives live in Lake Elsinore near riverside and its pretty deserted out there so that would be cool, no competition =P . I was gettin kinda down hearin that it would be hard to get a job so thanks for the info , it will give me a reason to finally nget my butt down there instead of being stuck in smelly san jose

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
why is the demand higher for paramedics than emt-bs? and by how much? also about how much did it cost you to go to patramedic school

In some systems, its simply a matter of 'more bang for the buck'. A paramedic can run a BLS call but an EMT-B can't run ALS. Same with Fire Departments, many used to offer the 'opportunity' for their firefighters to get their EMT- B and now many require them to be EMT-P prior to hire.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
So what exactly happens when you get your emt-b certification and where do you go from there? I know that they will give me people to contact. But what happened with you guys? How long did it take you to actually get the job you want or have now and what things did you have to do along the way?

I see you're in San Jose.

Go down to the County EMS Agency on Bascom (attached to VMC) and give them some cash. Get your county certification. Then go get yet another Live Scan, go to DMV, give them more cash, and get your California Ambulance Drivers License.

THEN you can apply with places.

* AMR
* Golden State Ambulance
* Silicon Valley Ambulance
* WestMed

That's it for this county. Priority One has ceased operations in Santa Clara County.

:)

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Oh, and to answer the question, it didn't take too long. I was in the right place at the right time.

And no, I don't work for AMR. :)

OP
OP
M

michelie0

Forum Probie
Well do I NEED an ambulance drivers license? Because of my whole DUI thing Im still confused on how to go about it. Like I said in my other thread it happened when I was under 18 im sealing my records in about a month but I dont legally get my license until may 08, so I think they would be suspicious as to why I have a restricted or suspended license. Or if they would already know or have access to those records that I would seal, I still need some good advice on that , I was thinkin of callin for legal advice when it came down to it. But im crossing my fingers because I really want this.

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
It's been exactly 4 months since I got my license, and I still am not on a volunteer sqaud. Can't work because I am too young and have two tickets. Good luck. It's a real pain. My training is going to waste right now. You would think volunteering to help people wouldn't be so difficult. Most places require an ambulance operators course. Basically you sit in a lecture and then drive the ambulance through some cones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Well do I NEED an ambulance drivers license? Because of my whole DUI thing Im still confused on how to go about it. Like I said in my other thread it happened when I was under 18 im sealing my records in about a month but I dont legally get my license until may 08, so I think they would be suspicious as to why I have a restricted or suspended license. Or if they would already know or have access to those records that I would seal, I still need some good advice on that , I was thinkin of callin for legal advice when it came down to it. But im crossing my fingers because I really want this.

If you want a real and honest answer, then you need to contact perspective employers in your area. As many have described it is all dependent upon the EMS administration insurance company. Like I described, many providers will not even consider anyone under the age of 21, so it would not even matter.

If you want a legal answer, then one should contact an attorney. Only they can give you such answer for the area you live in. Each state has its own laws and regulations, as many do not have "special license" to drive whereas some require EVOC prior, etc.

Good luck,
R/r 911

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It's been exactly 4 months since I got my license, and I still am not on a volunteer sqaud. Can't work because I am too young and have two tickets. Good luck. It's a real pain. My training is going to waste right now. You would think volunteering to help people wouldn't be so difficult. Most places require an ambulance operators course. Basically you sit in a lecture and then drive the ambulance through some cones.

(Sorry to take this off-subject)
I have had for just about as much time. I was lucky to be able to spend my summer with a clean driving record volunteering for a service (I did two fifteen minute driver training sessions, but was told that they never wanted me to drive outside of a dire emergency). This past week I was in a nasty car crash (It will go on the record as being my fault, but even the state cop on scene agreed that it shouldn't be). Next week I leave for Israel to spend three months away from the steering wheel but caring for patients as a volunteer.

When I come home, I hope to be able to asses the damage to my driving record-- whether I can ever be hired as an EMT again...

I understand being told that you are too young, and too inexperienced. I am lucky to have the chance to get expeirence otherwise.

Good Luck, Glorified,

DES

disassociative

Forum Captain
Now someone correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know your juvenile record is sealed upon your 18th birthday, considering there are no Class A or B felonies.
However, your driving record will still reflect these events regardless of age.

I remember when I applied for my EMT-IV here in TN, the application had a section on it, in which you were required to report any felonies or misdemeanors unless they were minor traffic violations in which the fines did not exceed ($150). The state also required an FBI/TBI(Tn Bureau of Investigation) background check. Your best bet is honesty; because if they look in to your driving record and see that you did not report a DUI; things will be alot worse than they would've been if you had told them the truth.

In regards to the EMT/Age issue; I received my NREMT-B/EMT-IV when I was 19, and age was not an issue. The issue was the fact that 99% of ambulance services were over-run with emt's, and the fact that were I to turn in an application for employment; I would be behind almost 50 applicants holding the same credentials. I ended up getting on at one, fortunately. Around here, most services put EMT's as Part-Time or PRN and reserve the Full-Time positions for the paramedics and senior providers.

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
Now someone correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know your juvenile record is sealed upon your 18th birthday, considering there are no Class A or B felonies.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but from what I've understood (at least in Arizona) you have the option to have your juvenile record expunged when you turn 18. Again, I don't know how you go about doing that, but it sounds like if you go through the process then all minor infractions will be wiped clean.

disassociative

Forum Captain
Well, yes the juvenile record is expunged; I know this for sure. What I am concerned with is the actual driving record on file with the department of motor vehicles.

OP
OP
M

michelie0

Forum Probie

I remember when I applied for my EMT-IV here in TN, the application had a section on it, in which you were required to report any felonies or misdemeanors unless they were minor traffic violations in which the fines did not exceed ($150).

Well for me this is what my probation officer told me that because the DUI happened when I was under 18 and I went to court after I was 18 I would have to be charged as a MINOR. So the same thing goes my record can still be sealed and if any cop pulled me over or anything and looked up my info then it would show no dui, and if I was drunk and driving (which will never happen EVER again) then it would be considered my FIRST dui.

soooo I guess this means I will have to go talk to the DMV and ask them and a attorney if anyone EVER looked up background checks will they see it. But as far as I know the only person who would know is my car insurance companies because they need to know to make my insurance higher..ugh so stupid. But its my fault for getting it in the first place, so im to blame.

Well thanks for your guys' advice. I will def. have to ask some people in charge about this one.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Do a backround check on yourself and see what you find. Might give you an idea.