EMT-B certification

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
If you want a real and honest answer, then you need to contact perspective employers in your area. As many have described it is all dependent upon the EMS administration insurance company. Like I described, many providers will not even consider anyone under the age of 21, so it would not even matter.

If you want a legal answer, then one should contact an attorney. Only they can give you such answer for the area you live in. Each state has its own laws and regulations, as many do not have "special license" to drive whereas some require EVOC prior, etc.

Good luck,
R/r 911

Wiser words have never been spoken.B)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
You can go to the DMV and request a copy of your driving abstract. This will show what infractions are on your legal record. As to the being underage thing, in most states, your records are not 'public' when you are under 18 but can be acquired through other means. Military recruiters, civil agencies that you are seeking employment with, and some other methods. In most states, they have an option or having your records 'sealed'. If the offense occurred when you were a minor and you have no further offenses until you reach legal age ( or some other age, date set by the court) you can request that your records are 'sealed'. This prevents anyone, ever from gaining access to your records. This was created under the assumptions that some kid-stuff is based more on immaturity than true stupidity.

There is also the option of deferring prosecution which means if you can go through the conditions of the deferrment and remain offense free for a specified period of time, you are never actually charged with the crime.

Since this is affecting your employment and career plans, I'd suggest sitting down with an attorney familiar with the laws in your area and exploring your options.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
from what i know your driving record is sperate from your criminal background check, and a DUI would show up on your record even if you were under 18 when the offense was commited. But i agree you just have to talk to the employer and see what they think. And i know you need a background check to get your ambulance drivers lisence in california so dunno if that would show up or not

*ofLife

Forum Crew Member
I think the demand strongly varies by location and it wouldn't be fair to say that "there is no demand for EMT-Bs". My advice is go with EMT-B, call around, get the information you need from the EMS in your area, and take it from there. Don't be discouraged by statistics or ratios. If its what you want to do, there's no reason why you can't find a job and do it. Best wishes.