EMT-B/BLS care is there a point??

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
What I am beginning to see is an entirely different side of a forum member that I had respected...
Why? That's one person who has never been shy about pointing out the shortcomings of EMT-B's, the lack of education for them, their inability to render anything more than the most basic care, and the false feeling that many have that they provide so much care for their patients.

In all honesty, there really isn't anything taught in an EMT-B class that's that spectacular; the majority of the things a well-trained Boy Scout could do. The problem is that so many Basics, (and this is partially the fault of instructors who don't make it clear that what they are learning is a bare minimum and they NEED to know more to adequately care for people) think they can do so much when they can't. So many think that they bring a lot to offer to the table, when in reality, they don't.

The first time I had to care for a patient as an EMT-B, the first thing that crossed my mind was "Holy crap! I don't know anything about what's going on! I can't do anything for this person! Holy crap! I need to get my butt back to school, and fast!" It's a fairly common reaction...for people who actually belong in this field and will move to a higher level. The problem is that many don't, and won't, and will go on believing that what they do is all that needs to be done.

And our culture let's them keep believing these lies.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
wow I don't show up for 24 hours and everyone goes crazy...... LOL

Ok I am not sure you all understood what I was going for or really ranting about. It was not a who's better then who and it sure as hell wasn't for all medics to jump on the bandwagon ( even some basics ) and start belittling the lower level of care. I was not looking to draw the lines and start an all out war here. although it makes me giggle a little because of all the heated back and forth.

Is it not true that Basics are needed? I am going to explain something with my limited knowledge and you all can retort.
I can almost assure you most of your als/medics aren't going to want or need to do an interfacility transport for a doctor visit, return from said doctor visit, returning to a nursing home from a higher level of care with no EQ or special precautions.
EMS- Do you medics want to or need to respond to every sick person, headache, and runny nose that gets a 911 call.
I am a dispatcher and I know for a fact that I have sent units on "BS" calls but I am not allowed to make that designation professionally because every call we receive we dispatch and as we should. I also know that working for one of the largest ambulance companies if not the largest in the greater southwestern region how short on medics we are. Which would lead to me to believe this is a nation wide trend.
I posed this same question to my trainer and supervisor and his answer went as fallows.... It would be impractical to send ALS on every call. Considering cost and man power its just impossible. It is far more expensive to equip a ALS unit then it is a BLS. the equipment and Meds alone are extremely expensive. Not to mention then you need the Medics to fill the units. You can see how many ALS units we have and how we are often short. There are times when BLS will suffice and ALS would be better posting for the next call we can utilize their abilities.

I agree with rid the standards are far to low for basics, especially considering the profession. I agree that education and the continuing of it should be very important to everyone in the profession.
Maybe its just the softy in me saying that we should all sit around the camp fire holding hands and singing kumbya. But I do believe that if there was a better relationship between all of us these issues would reach a conclusion. I also do agree there are numerous people out there making themselves out to be more then they are with their limited titles. Giving everyone a bad reputation and making it difficult to close these gaps.

You present a clear point, one that as a medic, I appreciate. There is a major over abuse of the system nationwide, but just as every ER RN out there can attest, you just have to deal with them. Just as ER's are starting to do more medical screening exams and getting people who have no business consuming ER resources out the doors, EMS can and in some places will follow. I actively inform pts. of the MSE possibility and have no hesitation dispelling the rumor of faster service by calling 911. This education alone has shown me a personal decrease in the number of unneccessary transports. But despite the call volume, I strongly believe, as do many others here, that each and every patient deserves a thorough assessment and diagnostic check utilizing all available resources in the pre-hospital environment. That cannot be performed proficiently by an EMT-B, sorry.

I have stayed out of this thread until now, because I have the definite ability to carry my stick to the pot and start stirring, but this needs to be addressed, because apparently some folks just don't get it.

First off, Interfacility transports to physician appointments, dialysis, and discharges back to the nursing home ARE NOT EMS CALLS. They are private transportation services. There is no medical service required and the only reason they are being taken by ambulance is due to an inability to sit upright unassisted. Or supposibly having that inability! I see very few dialysis patients actually lying in a bed during their treatment, yet hundreds of them are transported in Houston every single day by ambulance. Why? Because, these private companies fraud Medicare to pad their pockets. In reality, even bed confined patients can be transported by an non medical driver, even if they are on oxygen. Bottom line, probably a good 85% of these patients have no business in an ambulance (or vehicle the private company calls an ambulance). Drs. appts., same criteria. discharge from the ER, send 2 EMT's. Again, these calls are not EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES calls, they are taxi calls with modified positioning for passenger transport.

Second, I realize the frustration of sending an ALS unit to a known B.S. call or frequent flyer, but the next time you are dispatching, take a look around you and ask yourself a question...............

Would you trust the person sitting next to you to make the official triage call as to what ambulance they send to you when your buddies call and say that you have been drinking and fell down? What do you think they would do? My guess would be send the BLS truck for the fallen down drunk, who in actuality has a closed head injury and starts seizing just seconds after the arrival of EMS.

See the problem? Now we aren't asking an EMT-B to make a triage and transport decision. We are asking a dispatcher who is not on scene, cannot make any objective observation, and has minimal if any EMS education. That doesn't work that well. You are blessed from the standpoint that you have some EMS knowledge, most dispatchers dont. Now through in the fact that you dispatch for multiple agencies, and if there is any police agencies involved in that dispatch center, I will guarantee that something WILL be overlooked and a poor decision made. Remember, a law enforcement officers duties and life will come before any issue an ambulance has on scene. It is for good reason I agree, but bottom line is that mutli agency dispatch is Darwinism at is best!

EMT-B's are needed, just not at the helm of a 911 truck. Sorry, but people deserve the best capabilities available. They deserve definitive interventions following a proficient assessment. An EMT-B cannot perform this, period, end of story. For all of you EMT-B's out there arguing this point, you can cry until you are blue in the face, you're preparatory training is insufficient to effectively delivery proficient pre-hospital care. In an assisting role, yes you all can be a priceless assest, but leading a crew on a 911 truck creates limitations to care that is and should be reasonably expected by the public. Sorry, can't sugar coat it any better than that............

Yes, that means a higher premium and price, yes that is difficult in some areas, impossible in few. However, I see so many agencies that use the "we can't afford it card", yet do not tax or bill. Sorry, you can't have your cake and eat it too!

It is expensive. Its only going to get worse. But it can be done. Community education and political action is key. We have to get out there and air our dirty laundry a little. Public perception is everything. Let them know the limitations and constraints. You would be surprised what Joe Q. Public is willing to pay for!

In the meantime, lets take 'em to the ER!

Keep it safe!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Why is this so confusing? Would would one think if they went to Nurses.com and read discussion that nurses aides were claiming & complaining that they should be able to do such and such, voiced opinions on how & what the nursing profession should be, just how much credibility would one give it.. Now in comparison to those of RN's or higher level nursing professionals? Do you think that the RN's would just naturally agree?

Would you consider it belittling if the RN's informed them that they lacked the education and knowledge to perform anything else that they were trained in... again emphasizing that it was a starting position.. the very Basics, nothing more should be expected or performed. That their opinions are valuable but in reality they lack the understanding of the profession as a whole to really be able to voice an educated opinion.

Would you not also agree that they should not be speaking on behalf of the profession? That they lack the knowledge, professional growth & clinical experience to debate or give any advice other than what their current level is? Would you entrust a volunteer nurses aide at a nursing home to give you advice of the nursing profession?

This is NOT belittling, just the facts. EMT is an entry point, not the finale or even half way point. The care of the EMT is just above common laymen. Again, this is the facts. We do not train or educate those to be much more. Again, because it is an entry point. The first step of many..

Why would one expect anything else? Why is their any confusion? It is even confusing that there is even a confusion? Why would anyone consider it belittling when that is what the curriculum is designed and taught as. The very bare minimum. Sorry, again this is the facts based upon those that make up professional EMS standards of care and educational organizations such as NEMSP, NAEMSE, NAEMT, NREMT, AMA, ACEP and on and on... Where their opinions matter the most.. they make the National & State Rulings to be judged and followed by.

What I find very frustrating on this site is so many assume that they are an EMS expert because they have just entered the profession or just finished an entry point. Again, ignorant (which is not the same as stupid) of the EMS as a Profession and delivery of medical care. I would be outraged that such programs still exist if I was a basic level. If I had just paid hard earned money and did not receive anymore education than what was delivered. Again, most of those do not understand and what it is entitled and requires to deliver true medical care.

Maybe instead of arguing of what they "we are" and cannot do, maybe the effort and strength could be better channelled into requiring more education for the EMT level. By doing so increasing the chances of better pay, better benefits and actually making it a profession so we can attract and keep well educated professionals that want to deliver excellent care.

Now, with that being said.. I ask how many really do understand EMS as the profession? Outside the "box".. How one can work in a system without knowing the system? Every health profession studies their history and professional standards except EMS. How can one know the future of EMS if we do not know the past (Johnny & Roy, James Page, Nancy Caroline, etc) or study EMS as a system? How serious is one about their profession if they are not willing to know more than than an entry point level?

Read the posts, how many really know about the billing process, medical documentation, professional EMS standards and the ethics of medicine? All that make up EMS. How much anatomy & physiology, different diseases and illnesses are discussed, or better yet not covered? Again, EMS is much more than performing a very minimal assessment and history, splinting, applying oxygen and obtaining a set of vital signs. Is it essential to understand more than the "basics" yes..!

So instead of getting feelings hurt about the facts place the energy in increasing your knowledge, participating in increasing EMS as a profession. Anyone can whine but it takes a real professional to change things...

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeke

Forum Ride Along
EMT is an entry point, not the finale or even half way point. The care of the EMT is just above common laymen. Again, this is the facts. We do not train or educate those to be much more. Again, because it is an entry point. The first step of many..

R/r 911

I remember halfway through my clinicals, I was shocked to find that after all the hours I had put into the course (in actuality about 180 at that point, I had a veeery long course) I still didn't feel adequately prepared. I came into it expecting a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of what to do and how to do it, yet all I seemed to know was how to stay calm, ABC's, assess, and transport. It seemed that a basic should've been no more than the EMS equivalent of a CNA; a Certified Paramedic Assistant.

JPINFV

Gadfly
^
There will never be a level called Certified Paramedic Assistant because CPA has already been claimed...

OP
OP
LE-EMT

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Valid point Flight-LP. I completely understand that there isn't as much of a need for Basics in EMS especially with the policies that are in place. Policies that are ever changing. With the need for on the spot accurate assessments. but I feel interfacility transports are completely acceptable for basics. It also may be some deeper plan from corporate America to suck us all dry.

I also understand and note that on a known "bs" frequent flyer call we do not make judgment calls. We dispatch on what we are told not what we think is happening. We do not make assessment calls other then whether we send ALS or BLS. I dispatch EMS so I really don't have to worry about interfacility. We have a list of ALS specific calls. coincidently they are most calls....... If I question any thing I send ALS.

That took me about an hour to type cause I got side tracked........ so yeah

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
Basics are mostly used for transfers around here. Do you think it would be a good idea to have ALS trucks do transfers all day? Does dropping grandmas off at doctor appointments all day sound fun? Talk about a waste of money. Yeah most of these patients should probably take a cab or be driven by a friend or family member, but some of them are unstable and can croak on the road. If so, advanced first aid is all you need for that small period of time. Ambulances have lights and sirens for a reason, because they cannot deliver definitive care. Lights and sirens let you get to a hospital where they can get real medical assistance asap.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Basics are mostly used for transfers around here. Do you think it would be a good idea to have ALS trucks do transfers all day? Does dropping grandmas off at doctor appointments all day sound fun? Talk about a waste of money. Yeah most of these patients should probably take a cab or be driven by a friend or family member, but some of them are unstable and can croak on the road. If so, advanced first aid is all you need for that small period of time. Ambulances have lights and sirens for a reason, because they cannot deliver definitive care. Lights and sirens let you get to a hospital where they can get real medical assistance asap.

Please oh please, don't tell me you really think lights & sirens saves lives! OMG. did you just leave the 60's? Seriously do you even understand EMS? The most one saves is maybe two to five minutes by going with lights and sirens, definitely not enough to "save a life".. Really, do you understand it is 2008 and the same treatment can be given in an EMS unit (they are no longer hearses or Cadillacs either). There is NO difference in the majority of care be it in an EMS or in a ER! .. Please, understand that!

Personally, take off those L/S.. they usually do no good. Better be good at what you supposed to be doing .. patient care!

If an ambulance is dropping off Grandma at a Dr. Office then and charging it to Medicare, then it is fraud as Flight-LP described. Sorry, so called EMS-Ambulance Services abused Medicare & Insurance and now everyone has to pay the consequences. If they can "croak" on the road, then they need an ER not a clinic!

p.s. frogs croak.. not patients!

R/r 911

phunguy

Forum Crew Member
Wow... I feel lucky here in Arizona. All the paramedics I have met actually respect us BLS types. We work together and everyone is there for the patient care. A EMT-b can not start the paramedic program until they have 1 year of service under thier belt. So maybe the respected attitudes come from being in the basics shoes at one point. Maybe some others who never did BLS and jumped right to medic should try this approach...

Clibby

Forum Crew Member
Heres my 2 cents, take it or leave it. All the medics here, for some reason which I have yet to find anywhere in my area, believe basics are useless in 911. Really? You don't need them? At all? I think you need to take a second look.

I'm not saying you need them to save patients' lives because honestly we can't do all that much. But you know what, if there is a hospital within 10 min and a level 1 trauma in 13, such as my area, as long as the patient is AOX4 and has no life threatening injuries, that drunk or that fender bender victim or the broken bone patient will get to the ER before a medic can do all that much, especially before he develops a complication that wasn't visible to police on scene. Now for those bad calls or complicated calls, do you really need to pay a medic to drive? At the same time do you want someone who has not had basic training arriving on scene with you?

Last night, for instance, we responded to a difficulty breathing. Turns out the pt was in cardiac arrest. We had 2 basics and a medic. As soon as we saw the pt, the medic gave us the look and went to the truck to set up. We had him short boarded and in the truck in under one minute while the medic set up his ET tube and got his meds ready. The police drove for us while one of us basic bagged him, post intubation, and the other set up the IV, EKG, and performed compressions when he crashed. This freed up the medic to do his job. By the time we got to the hospital, we had him go from respiratory arrest/cardiac arrest to fighting to take the tube out. Granted this doesn't happen often, if we only had medics then the police probably would have still drove, but the medics would have to perform CPR instead of doing their job saving his life.

Do you really think it is effective to have 3 medics. That is at least twice the money and you now have at least 2 chiefs in one tribe. In a perfect world with no money and enough medics for every 911 truck who get along and all have the same right ideas, then every truck should have 3 medics, but this isn't a perfect world. While its nice to have someone to bump ideas off of, if a medic isn't confident in his own abilities then he shouldn't be allowed to run his own truck, period. He should be a junior and ride with another medic who runs the truck. A medic shouldn't need another medic to know what to do. Its nice to have another medic who can start IVs for you, but thats really not going to make enough of a difference to save a life, its more of a convenience for the hospital. If you think you need to waste a medic on those basic jobs, then you are beyond arrogant. At the same time, not anyone can perform those tasks. Granted they are not hard and any bozo who can keep a calm head and read can do it, legally you need someone with the basic training who has done it before and it helps tremendously if a person can anticipate what the medic is going to need.

Basics saving medics doesn't mean that we remind the medics of their ABCs and try and push our knowledge on them; it means that we do our job so they can do theirs. Medics shouldn't have to tell anyone to control bleeding, perform compressions, have an IV hung and spiked with flushes set up, set up EKGs, or ventilating a pt; these are jobs for basics. We don't save lives, we help medics save lives, neither of whom can do so without the other.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Is there a point to this thread? No

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Wow... I feel lucky here in Arizona. All the paramedics I have met actually respect us BLS types. We work together and everyone is there for the patient care. A EMT-b can not start the paramedic program until they have 1 year of service under thier belt. So maybe the respected attitudes come from being in the basics shoes at one point. Maybe some others who never did BLS and jumped right to medic should try this approach...

I respect Basics. That is NOT the point, the point is that the current curriculum is ineffective and piss poor. As well, why do I want an EMT with poor or bad habits prior to entering a Paramedic program? Now, I have to re-teach and attempt to break them.. There has not been any validity that proves or improves a person to be an EMT first. Really, how much are you bringing to the program? There is quite of bit of difference between advanced care and basic.. again, it is usually those that are not educated to attempt to prove different. Ironic huh?

R/r 911

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Heres my 2 cents, take it or leave it. All the medics here, for some reason which I have yet to find anywhere in my area, believe basics are useless in 911. Really? You don't need them? At all? I think you need to take a second look.

I'm not saying you need them to save patients' lives because honestly we can't do all that much. But you know what, if there is a hospital within 10 min and a level 1 trauma in 13, such as my area, as long as the patient is AOX4 and has no life threatening injuries, that drunk or that fender bender victim or the broken bone patient will get to the ER before a medic can do all that much, especially before he develops a complication that wasn't visible to police on scene. Now for those bad calls or complicated calls, do you really need to pay a medic to drive? At the same time do you want someone who has not had basic training arriving on scene with you?

Last night, for instance, we responded to a difficulty breathing. Turns out the pt was in cardiac arrest. We had 2 basics and a medic. As soon as we saw the pt, the medic gave us the look and went to the truck to set up. We had him short boarded and in the truck in under one minute while the medic set up his ET tube and got his meds ready. The police drove for us while one of us basic bagged him, post intubation, and the other set up the IV, EKG, and performed compressions when he crashed. This freed up the medic to do his job. By the time we got to the hospital, we had him go from respiratory arrest/cardiac arrest to fighting to take the tube out. Granted this doesn't happen often, if we only had medics then the police probably would have still drove, but the medics would have to perform CPR instead of doing their job saving his life.

Do you really think it is effective to have 3 medics. That is at least twice the money and you now have at least 2 chiefs in one tribe. In a perfect world with no money and enough medics for every 911 truck who get along and all have the same right ideas, then every truck should have 3 medics, but this isn't a perfect world. While its nice to have someone to bump ideas off of, if a medic isn't confident in his own abilities then he shouldn't be allowed to run his own truck, period. He should be a junior and ride with another medic who runs the truck. A medic shouldn't need another medic to know what to do. Its nice to have another medic who can start IVs for you, but thats really not going to make enough of a difference to save a life, its more of a convenience for the hospital. If you think you need to waste a medic on those basic jobs, then you are beyond arrogant. At the same time, not anyone can perform those tasks. Granted they are not hard and any bozo who can keep a calm head and read can do it, legally you need someone with the basic training who has done it before and it helps tremendously if a person can anticipate what the medic is going to need.

Basics saving medics doesn't mean that we remind the medics of their ABCs and try and push our knowledge on them; it means that we do our job so they can do theirs. Medics shouldn't have to tell anyone to control bleeding, perform compressions, have an IV hung and spiked with flushes set up, set up EKGs, or ventilating a pt; these are jobs for basics. We don't save lives, we help medics save lives, neither of whom can do so without the other.

Yet again, another EMT-B attempting, unsuccessfully, to justify their position. I'm sorry and please do not take this personally, but your examples, especially the "broken bone" one, are completely incorrect. Two words, PAIN MANAGEMENT. I don't care if the ER is pissing distance away, the patient deserves comfort. Preference being in the medicinal form, an act that a BLS provider again cannot provide.

But that is not what bothers me.................

Just as Rid mentioned, the overall system is broke. Experience prior to entering medic school paves the way for horrible habits. Like having the belief its o.k. for a medic to walk away from a cardiac arrest patient and go to the truck to set up his intubation equipment instead of being prepared in the first place. Not to mention that intubation is the LAST think you should be worrying about during a code. Sounds like a half arsed C.F. to me, yet when you typed it, I bet you had no idea that it was remotely incorrect. Right?

Again, its the blind attempting to lead the blind. Notice that throughout the NUMEROUS threads of BLS vs. ALS, never once has there been a Paramedic that agrees with the crap you guys are believing. Every time its an EMT-B. Honestly, a few of you are making the overall BLS population look bad. There are some very talented and educated Basics running around. Many that I would work with in a heartbeat, and be proud to do so. They are easy to identify, they are the ones not feeding into this nonsense. You call us egotistical, arrogant, and having "Paragod" syndrome. But you have yet to have one Medic agree with you. Are we all wrong, or is it possible that you just are not educated enough to really know the truth? The answer lies within this forum, stop trying to illude yourselves otherwise.

Littlebit

Forum Probie
apples vs oranges

In one of the posts we're now comparing CNA's vs RN's. Not sure what that has to do with the topic going on. My comment regarding CNA's vs RN's is "try running a nursing home without the CNA's and it'll crumble!" Granted the RN's have the knowledge and education but I doubt if the RN's would stay if the CNA's were not longer available. But to me this really has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
this topic could go on forever with no resolution. If EMT B's are uneducated then maybe the Department of Public Health EMS should be notified.
At any rate: it may be an entry point and maybe its all that EMS individual wants. Not everyone wants to be educated to the fullest extent possible- thats why there are different levels out there.
No matter what a person's education level is they are deserve respect until proven otherwise.
EMT-PS

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Why are there so many people out there that feel they are fully trained after only one semester of college though. i had to take a year of English comp to get my AAS in paramedic's does this make me a professional in writing? I don't think it comes down to medics not respecting basics, but respect is still earned not given. Do basics do jobs that medics can't do...no. do basics do jobs that medics don't want to do or can't get to due to triage...yes, but heaven forbid that you bring that up less you get a whole " you don't respect me thing". Can we have 2 attendants on a rig that are both medics...i do. Not everyone can afford two medics per rig, but that is not our problem. Basics should continue to get their education and not just stop at the cert and call it a career...if you want my respect.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
This isn't so bad...not anywhere near completely right, but not completely wrong either. It's a start, and probably the most acccurate thing to come from an EMT-B in this thread so far.

A Basic isn't useless...it's just that the bring extremely little to the table, especially when they have never worked with a paramedic before. In all honesty, ask yourself, if you were alone with a patient that needed ALS care, what could you do for them? Answer: next to nothing. While Basic's can assist on calls, they shouldn't be in charge, and shouldn't be taking patients on their own except in very controlled circumstances; your broken leg scenario proves that.

The amount of education that goes into learning to be an EMT-B is so minimal it's laughable; if you continue on to a higher level this will become more and more clear to you. The problem is that the majority of basic's don't know this, aren't willing to admit it, aren't willing to admit that they cannot adequately care for most patients, or all of the above. And when this get's pointed out they automatically get defensive about it.

Basic's can have a role in EMS (and I don't mean transfers to/from a Dr's appointment; that's not EMS) but it's a very small role that, in the vast, vast majority of cases will be that of an assistant, not a primary care giver. Until the educational standards change, that's all that's appropriate. Unfortunately, the culture we have is one that allows, and even encourages people to think otherwise.

If EMT B's are uneducated then maybe the Department of Public Health EMS should be notified.
At any rate: it may be an entry point and maybe its all that EMS individual wants. Not everyone wants to be educated to the fullest extent possible- thats why there are different levels out there.
No matter what a person's education level is they are deserve respect until proven otherwise.
EMT-PS
Department of Public Health EMS? Do you even know who sets the standards for EMS education and enforces it? And I'm not talking about at the local level. A bit more education for you is in order I think.

If someone doesn't want to know how to appropriately care for their patients then they shouldn't be in this profession. And you can't do that as an EMT-B. End of story. Far as respect goes...everyone get's treated appropriately until they do something to change that, but's that not respect. You want my respect? Earn it.

Littlebit

Forum Probie
"Basics should continue to get thier education and not stop at cert and call it a career...if you want my respect."
Can you clairfy- does this mean unless they are certified at your level they don't have your respect? I hope I am reading it wrong. What gets my dander up and makes me respond to this post is way it is presented.
We've probably all had experiences in our life in which an individual in a position of authority is disrespectful just because of thier position or level of education. If you have a higher level of certification that is an opportunity to encourage and teach.
If I work with an individual who does an exceptional job or displays the potential to advance thier education I will encourage however there are individuals who do not have the potential to advance- that does not mean I have less respect for them.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain

Not sure if you're referring to a specific company/FD but where I went, you could go straight to Medic school from Basic...