emt-b abroad?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
If that's so then it sucks for me. I cant complain about multiple high fidelity mannequins though.

I don't want to start a pissing match with you, I like you, but i still think your making a very blanketed statement.

Point taken and I do realize there are some very damn fine programs out there that charge through the nose. No offense intended to those attending those particular exceptions to the rule.

OP
OP
E

emtabroad

Forum Ride Along
Sorry for the absence all. But its about providing for my family while enjoying what I do. As for now I own a body shop and make more then I will make as an emt but I'm absolutley burnt out on what I do. I want to enjoy what I do and have a sence of pride while doing it. And a major reason why I want to work in ems is because I want stability!

Anjel

Forum Angel
O and EVERYTHING cost more in cali!

move lol

25 percent of the threads on here are something like

"How to find a job in cali"

"Anyone hiring in cali"

"Any good companies in the LA area?"

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
90% of the threads on are like

"How do I find a job in CA"
"How do I get an ambulance driver certificate in CA"
"How do I get a county card in CA"
"If I have a state card in CA do I need a county card?""
"ZOMG WTF why can't I find a job in CA?"
"What is this weird thing known as Brown?"

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Why do people refer to California as cali? Don't they know that god kills a kitten every time that damn "word" is uttered?

OP
OP
E

emtabroad

Forum Ride Along
Lololol I hate cats. I want to move but givin my situation i can not just move to then hope I get a job. So that's why I'm here to see if any other certs would be needed to work out of CALIFORNIA and if my DMV record will follow. I guess I was hoping for someone to say "hey move here your record won't follow you and your absolutely going to get a job at a decent pay rate". But that would be asking people to lie. Has anyone moved out of California :) with good success in this forum? And if so does one need to rectify for the new state? Is the pay rate about the same from state to state "emt or er tech"? And if no to the last question then is the cost of living at least cheaper? Sorry for asking so many questions but you all have been nice so far so I figure IDE keep asking haha. By the way this forum has a lot of knowledgeable people as opposed to several other ems forums I've attended in the past once again thanks for the hospitality.

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Ems via private ambulance seems to employ humble people. No offence to anyone in the FD this is just personal local experience.

Private ambulance companies are NOT where you want to spend a career. If you really want to spend 20-30 years in EMS, you need to get on with some type of government agency. Ideally you want to try and find a third service. If you are not familiar with what that is, a third service is a government run ambulance service. Usually run by county governments. The pay is better, the equipment is nicer, there tends to be room for advancement and the retirement will beat anything a private ambulance can offer you. Another option is to try and find a decent hospital owned and operated EMS system.

Private ambulance companies are in it for the money. Their owners are out to make a profit at your expense. You can expect low pay, crappy benefits, high turnover, a junk 401k if you are lucky, ambulances that are run until the wheels fall off and a call volume that will beat you down over the years. There are some exceptions to the rule, but the vast majority of private ambulance companies are there to get some experience and move on.

The bad thing about California is that the private ambulance companies have a lock on most of EMS there(AMR being the biggest). The rest is FD run EMS. There are a few third services. There are a couple decent private companies there, Hall Ambulance in Bakersfield would be one. But even the good companies can lose contracts for 911 service and you can be out of a job or starting all over with the new ambulance company taking over the contract. My suggestion is to move the soonest you can to an area that has a lower cost of living and a lot of third services to pick from. That's why I moved to Texas from Nevada(Nevada is similar to CA when it comes to EMS agencies).

Good luck in whatever you do.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Which part of Nevada? Northern NV is mostly Volunteer, with a few Hospital based, FD based and a well respected not for profit private.

Clark County is mostly all Private (AMR), with LVFD trying to push them out.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Which part of Nevada? Northern NV is mostly Volunteer, with a few Hospital based, FD based and a well respected not for profit private.

Brown thinks Clark County has MedicWest which is technically owned by AMR LOLZ :D

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Brown thinks Clark County has MedicWest which is technically owned by AMR LOLZ :D

Yessir. MW is North Vegas and East Vegas. AMR is South and West.

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant

Southern. I used to work for MWA which is now owned by AMR.

All the FD's in Clark County are trying to push out the private companies. North Las Vegas already tried, but the franchise contract prohibited it (and their busted budget couldn't pay for the lawsuit AMR would have brought against them). Once the franchise is up you can bet that NLVFD will transport 100 percent like Henderson FD, LVFD will take more of the transports from AMR, and CCFD will start transporting even more than the 100 or so they do a month right now. Private 911 EMS in Vegas is a dying breed. The FD's will continue to eat at their transports in order to justify their extremely bloated salaries and budgets. Eventually the privates in Vegas will do nothing more than inter-facility transports.

Northern NV is a bit different. But there is only one player as far as EMS is concerned which is REMSA. REMSA is not a private ambulance, but more of a third service not supported by tax dollars. They are a good organization. Then you have a few small hospital based ambulances in the boonies.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Northern NV is a bit different. But there is only one player as far as EMS is concerned which is REMSA. REMSA is not a private ambulance, but more of a third service not supported by tax dollars. They are a good organization. Then you have a few small hospital based ambulances in the boonies.

I'm in REMSA's paramedic program. Nice rigs, nice gear, happy employees, I'm hoping to get a leg up on getting in with them once school is over. Seeing as they trained me and I will do my internship in their system. Technically REMSA is the overseeing authority while RASI is the actual ambulance company, but when you break it down that far your just splitting hairs.

Shooting for a per diem EMT-Intermediate shift with them at the moment.

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I'm in REMSA's paramedic program. Nice rigs, nice gear, happy employees, I'm hoping to get a leg up on getting in with them once school is over. Seeing as they trained me and I will do my internship in their system. Technically REMSA is the overseeing authority while RASI is the actual ambulance company, but when you break it down that far your just splitting hairs.

Shooting for a per diem EMT-Intermediate shift with them at the moment.

I looked at REMSA when we were deciding where to move for a better place to raise our kids. I also know a few Medics who worked for them or worked in Northern Nevada and all said they were a good place to work. One of the turn offs was that they moved to System Status Management a while back and I wanted no part of that after working SSM in Vegas for a few years. SSM is great for the company but bad for the employees and, in my opinion, is one of the prime factors in medic burn out.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I looked at REMSA when we were deciding where to move for a better place to raise our kids. I also know a few Medics who worked for them or worked in Northern Nevada and all said they were a good place to work. One of the turn offs was that they moved to System Status Management a while back and I wanted no part of that after working SSM in Vegas for a few years. SSM is great for the company but bad for the employees and, in my opinion, is one of the prime factors in medic burn out.

SSM sucks, I agree. I did all my Intermediate ride time with them. It'd be nice to work in a high volume ALS system right out of the gates though to gain experience to add to my applications later in life. Plus I was born and raised in the area and love it here.

/highjack

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
SSM sucks, I agree. I did all my Intermediate ride time with them. It'd be nice to work in a high volume ALS system right out of the gates though to gain experience to add to my applications later in life. Plus I was born and raised in the area and love it here.

/highjack

Can't beat the area, Reno/Tahoe area is great. As far as EMS, there are worse things than SSM. REMSA is a very good system, especially for someone first starting out. Do they have any rural stations that are 24 hours? I know of some systems that run SSM in the urban areas, but still have 24 hour posts in suburban and/or rural areas for guys who have time with the agency. I thought REMSA had some, but I could be wrong.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
They had a 24 hour car that was assigned to a hard post in an apartment complex in south Reno, but they don't have it anymore. It's all 12 hour or 16 hour shifts.

It's gonna be hard to give up the ski patrol/beach patrol seasonal employment I've been doing for the last couple of years when school is done, no matter where I end up haha.