emt-b abroad?

emtabroad

Forum Ride Along
Hey evryone I'm in need of help. Yes im new and hope I don't break any rules but here we go. So I'm 4 months into my emt-b certification and am looking for work. Now here's the whole story. I have 3 points on my CA driving record freshly certified EMT-B and can not get on an ambulance due to my driving record. I'm wondering if I try getting work out of state or abroad if IDE run into the same roadblocks? I want to work in this field so bad but have 2.5 years left till my ca record clears. I'm 24 and have a baby boy on the way "2 months left" and am feeling the time crunch. Yes I've looked into ERT positions and simply put the pay and hours are not adequate to support my family. I think I covered everything thanks in advance for any responses.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey evryone I'm in need of help. Yes im new and hope I don't break any rules but here we go. So I'm 4 months into my emt-b certification and am looking for work. Now here's the whole story. I have 3 points on my CA driving record freshly certified EMT-B and can not get on an ambulance due to my driving record. I'm wondering if I try getting work out of state or abroad if IDE run into the same roadblocks? I want to work in this field so bad but have 2.5 years left till my ca record clears. I'm 24 and have a baby boy on the way "2 months left" and am feeling the time crunch. Yes I've looked into ERT positions and simply put the pay and hours are not adequate to support my family. I think I covered everything thanks in advance for any responses.

What are the "points" for?

Also, if ER tech isn't going to cover your expenses, chances are the field is not going to pan out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emtabroad

Forum Ride Along
One point for an at fault accident and two pointer for failier to yeild to emergency vehicle " I know i was in a tunnel no place to pull over at all though". And here in town or within 100 mile radius all er techs are varied on call shifts.

EMS Patient Care Advocate

Forum Lieutenant
Traveling to avoid local Laws?

DUI, criminal speeding sometimes it depends specifically what the problem was - road blocks will be met most everywhere. I’m not sure how long you will need to earn all your points back and "prove" it was a mistake or whatever. Unfortunately most criminal history is NEVER disregarded. I personally have worked as an ER Tech and can assure you the pay is about the same as an entry level EMT B. Actually an entry level EMT in most areas will make less. Also check closely, most tech positions will require a CNA (certified nursing assistant) certification and experience in one or both CNA/EMT. Don’t give up trying though. Start maybe with a volunteer or paid/call service to keep up your certification? Sometimes you can have a particular roll and be assigned as an EMT and not a DRIVER

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Outside the US there is no equivalent to the US EMT within the emergency ambulance service in any international jurisdiction Brown knows of.

Australia requires a Bachelors Degree and has only two levels Paramedic/Intensive Care Paramedic

The UK is moving towards an all State Registered Paramedic

Europe you need to be an RN or MD

South Africa has a two year educated DipTech Emergency Care Technician (ILS) and a Bachelors Degree educated Emergency Care Practitioner (ALS/CCT)

Canada requires one to two years of education for Primary Care Paramedic (called EMT in Alberta) and three years of education for Advanced Care Paramedic (ALS)

New Zealand requires a Bachelors Degree for Paramedic and Intensive Care Paramedic requires a Post Graduate Diploma

Paramedics in Japan (called Emergency Life Saving Technician or ELST) have a Bachelors Degree and operate at about 2/3 of the US Paramedic level, e.g. LMA, defibrillation, adrenaline

OP
OP
E

emtabroad

Forum Ride Along
California holds driving records against you for 3 years "for my personal offenses". And I will never let a opportunity pass as I have applied to all er tech positions available buuuuuuut you are correct and some are asking for other other certifications. I won't give up but are overseas ems jobs strictly for medics? What about air ems jobs? Is all the fun reserved for medics?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
What about air ems jobs?

Not a chance as an EMT-B. Besides, are you trying to leave your kids without one of their parents?

I won't give up but are overseas ems jobs strictly for medics?

Yeah, medics with additional education. Face it, you're not getting an overseas job as an EMT-B with no experience. Also, you're not going to be able to support a family on an EMT job. It just sounds like it's not in the cards for you. Sorry but that's the way the dice roll sometimes.

Forum Lieutenant
almost all require a much higher level education- even than "paramedic"
ALL over seas posistion require samples and history of EVERYTHING!
Dont go over seas if you have a kid on the way, yes the money can be good. Yes I have friends doing it and working their butts off.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You have to be a medic or RN with lots of experience to fly. Many are higher level providers than EMT-P/RN.

OP
OP
E

emtabroad

Forum Ride Along
Ok well that's that I'm still going to go to medic school but was hoping to get into something while doing so. Thank you all that replied.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok well that's that I'm still going to go to medic school but was hoping to get into something while doing so.

You're likely going to need experience as an EMT-B to do that. You might be better off looking into another field given the low pay, :censored::censored::censored::censored: hours and all the headaches you're encountering.

OP
OP
E

emtabroad

Forum Ride Along
It's only 10k not like thats not alot or anything but I've put it away for a reason and i figure by the time I get my national cert my driving record will be good or almost there. The hours, I want them. The low starting pay as medic, I want it. The bottom line I'm not in it for money "at least live comfortable". If it were about pay or hours IDE take a FD job and sit on a lazyboy between calls and make 3-4x's the $. I've been through a fire academy and started off wanting to be in the FD. But the attitudes of most of them just arent even bearable. Ems via private ambulance seems to employ humble people. No offence to anyone in the FD this is just personal local experience.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Get the heck out of california. From what I can tell it is the worst state for ems jobs.

Here you can have up to 4 points on your license before you are dq'd from employment thats at my company.

The pay sucks but I manage to bring home 2k a month. But I also work 40-50 hrs of overtime in a 2 week period. And they just cut OT hours.

So im at about 1500 a mnth after taxes.

You really shouldnt have that big of an issue finding a job anywhere besides CA.

And 10k for a medic program is insane. The best ones around here are 4k or 5k.

Good luck.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
It's only 10k not like thats not alot or anything but I've put it away for a reason and i figure by the time I get my national cert my driving record will be good or almost there.

There are a lot of more productive things you can do with $10K. $10K for a medic program is a sign that they are operating solely to bilk suckers.

The hours, I want them. The low starting pay as medic, I want it. The bottom line I'm not in it for money "at least live comfortable".

So is this about keeping a roof over your kid's head or about your desire to have an interesting job?

Forum Lieutenant
In CA can you get you medic without experience? Here you either need to climb the ranks EMT-B, EMT-I and then you can take a “bridge” course to paramedic. Anyone else has to go to an associates program?
Like I said before try volunteer departments you might walk right in and be able to get experience and maintain your license. They just may restrict you from driving for however long.
None of us are perfect! So it IS possible to do this. Don’t get discouraged by anyone if this is what you want to do. I didn’t, and I made it- with more than that on my record. Though it should be almost funny when you mention in the interview you want to be an EMT and you failed to yield to one, funny! You’ll be ok. Its not uncommon to go longer than 4 months seeking a job, especially in today’s economy.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There are a lot of more productive things you can do with $10K. $10K for a medic program is a sign that they are operating solely to bilk suckers.

That's a pretty bold, blanket statement. My school is 9k including the internship and we don't have to worry about finding a hospital to do clinicals or a company to do our internship with.

Taught mostly by upper level practitioners, with amazing equipment and facilities, and goes well beyond the DOT curriculum. Yea it's not a degree program but lets not start that argument.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
My school is 9k including the internship and we don't have to worry about finding a hospital to do clinicals or a company to do our internship with

None of the programs here have those problems (outside of the few diploma mills) and none of the reputable programs charge more than 4-5K unless you're getting a degree out of the mix.

Taught mostly by upper level practitioners, with amazing equipment and facilities, and goes well beyond the DOT curriculum.

The program I was affiliated with was taught by MDs/DOs and extremely veteran EMS personnel. The last price I heard quoted before the program stopped operating when the medical director retired was $3500.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If that's so then it sucks for me. I cant complain about multiple high fidelity mannequins though.

I don't want to start a pissing match with you, I like you, but i still think your making a very blanketed statement.