EMS With Felonies

ccc55555

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,

I just recently started my EMT training program. However, I have two felony convictions. One for threatening someone and another for possession of a large amount of marijuana with alleged intent to distribute.

Could someone just be brutally honest with me and tell me if it will be impossible to obtain certification with these felonies? This would apply specifically to the state of California but I imagine the certification procedure is roughly the same in every state.

Thank you.

JPINFV

Gadfly
There's too many intangables involved where your best bet may be to contact your local county EMS office or the state EMSA. The biggest question is going to be what codes where you charged under and how long has it been since you were convicted. The longer, the better.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There's too many intangables involved where your best bet may be to contact your local county EMS office or the state EMSA. The biggest question is going to be what codes where you charged under and how long has it been since you were convicted. The longer, the better.

Aside from making a dirty joke about your last sentence I have to agree with everything. You may have to go in front of/write a letter to the state EMS office/ Local EMS office explaining everything.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Aside from making a dirty joke about your last sentence I have to agree with everything. You may have to go in front of/write a letter to the state EMS office/ Local EMS office explaining everything.

That's what she said.

travis23

Forum Probie
I was under the impression that you couldn't even take the class in california with prior felonies such as yours.

I could be wrong though, the class I took was felony tolerance free.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I was under the impression that you couldn't even take the class in california with prior felonies such as yours.

I could be wrong though, the class I took was felony tolerance free.

You can take and pass the class with a felony in CA. But getting NREMT and/or state certified is a different story.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You can take and pass the class with a felony in CA. But getting NREMT and/or state certified is a different story.

Agreed.

Here is the NREMT policy on it: http://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/policy_felony.asp

Some info on CA EMS (relevant portions highlighted in RED)

Title 22, Section 9, Chapter 6 100214.3

22 CCR § 100214.3

Cal. Admin. Code tit. 22, § 100214.3

Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 22. Social Security
Division 9. Prehospital Emergency Medical Services
Chapter 6. Process for Emt and Advanced Emt Disciplinary Action
Article 4. Determination and Notification of Action
§ 100214.3. Denial or Revocation of a Certificate.

(a) A certifying entity, that is not a LEMSA, shall advise a certification or recertification applicant whose conduct indicates a potential for disciplinary cause, based on an investigation by the certifying entity prompted by a DOJ and/or FBI CORI, pursuant to Section 100210(a) of this Chapter, to apply to a LEMSA for certification or recertification.

(b) The medical director may deny or revoke any EMT or Advanced EMT certificate for disciplinary cause that have been investigated and verified by application of this Chapter.

(c) The medical director shall deny or revoke an EMT or Advanced EMT certificate if any of the following apply to the applicant:

(1) Has committed any sexually related offense specified under Section 290 of the Penal Code.

(2) Has been convicted of murder, attempted murder, or murder for hire.

(3) Has been convicted of two (2) or more felonies.

(4) Is on parole or probation for any felony.

(5) Has been convicted and released from incarceration for said offense during the preceding fifteen (15) years for the crime of manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter.

(6) Has been convicted and released from incarceration for said offense during the preceding ten (10) years for any offense punishable as a felony.

(7) Has been convicted of two (2) or more misdemeanors within the preceding five (5) years for any offense relating to the use, sale, possession, or transportation of narcotics or addictive or dangerous drugs.

(8) Has been convicted of two (2) or more misdemeanors within the preceding five (5) years for any offense relating to force, threat, violence, or intimidation.

(9) Has been convicted within the preceding five (5) years of any theft related misdemeanor.

(d) The medical director may deny or revoke an EMT or Advanced EMT certificate if any of the following apply to the applicant:

(1) Has committed any act involving fraud or intentional dishonesty for personal gain within the preceding seven (7) years.

(2) Is required to register pursuant to Section 11590 of the Health and Safety Code.

(e) Subsection (a) and (b) shall not apply to convictions that have been pardoned by the Governor, and shall only apply to convictions where the applicant/certificate holder was prosecuted as an adult. Equivalent convictions from other states shall apply to the type of offenses listed in (c) and (d). As used in this Section, “felony” or “offense punishable as a felony” refers to an offense for which the law prescribes imprisonment in the state prison as either an alternative or the sole penalty, regardless of the sentence the particular defendant received.

(f) This Section shall not apply to those EMT's, or EMT-IIs who obtain their California certificate prior to the effective date of this Section; unless:

(1) The certificate holder is convicted of any misdemeanor or felony after the effective date of this Section.

(2) The certificate holder committed any sexually related offense specified under Section 290 of the Penal Code.

(3) The certificate holder failed to disclose to the certifying entity any prior convictions when completing his/her application for initial EMT or Advanced EMT certification or certification renewal.

(g) Nothing in this Section shall negate an individual's right to appeal a denial of an EMT or Advanced EMT certificate pursuant to this Chapter.

(h) Certification action by a medical director shall be valid statewide and honored by all certifying entities for a period of at least twelve (12) months from the effective date of the certification action. An EMT or Advanced EMT whose application was denied or an EMT or Advanced EMT whose certification was revoked by a medical director shall not be eligible for EMT or Advanced EMT application by any other certifying entity for a period of at least twelve (12) months from the effective date of the certification action. EMT's or Advanced EMT's whose certification is placed on probation must complete their probationary requirements with the LEMSA that imposed the probation.

Note: Authority cited: Sections 1797.107, 1797.176, 1797.184 and 1798.204, Health and Safety Code; and Section 11522, Government Code. Reference: Sections 1797.61, 1797.62, 1797.118, 1797.176, 1797.202, 1797.216, 1797.220, 1798, 1798.200 and 1798.204, Health and Safety Code.

HISTORY

1. Renumbering of former section 1000216 to new section 1000214.3, including amendment of section and N ote, filed 5-18-2010; operative 6-17-2010 (Register 2010, No. 21).

22 CCR § 100214.3, 22 CA ADC § 100214.3

This database is current through 3/22/13 Register 2013, No. 12

END OF DOCUMENT

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Smells trolly around here.:nosoupfortroll:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Smells trolly around here.:nosoupfortroll:

Based upon what? It is a fairly common question posted here, and I have seen nothing from the OP to suggest trolling.

phideux

Forum Captain
In SC, when I went to school you had to have a background check before starting school. Felonies would have got you booted from the class.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Yeah, I had to submit to a full background check and drug test before being allowed to enroll in the EMT class at Ivy Tech in Indiana. Failure of either prevents even being allowed to register for the class.

AzValley

Forum Lieutenant
Also, depending on where you do your required clinical hours, this may be an issue as well with the background check.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I am gonna say yes, it's likely gonna be an obstacle getting a cert, and it will be very unlikely you'll ever get a job as an EMT/Paramedic.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
you know what? call me a jerk if you want, but if you have two felony convictions, find another career. could you become a career firefighter? what about a cop? maybe a teacher?

oh wait, they all do background checks to prevent convicted felons from working in their fields, to prevent from losing the public's trust.

it's time we raised our standards and did the same.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Cant get a cert in NJ with two felonies, most squads wont accept you anyway with that kind of history as well.

find a different job

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
you know what? call me a jerk if you want, but if you have two felony convictions, find another career. could you become a career firefighter? what about a cop? maybe a teacher?

oh wait, they all do background checks to prevent convicted felons from working in their fields, to prevent from losing the public's trust.

it's time we raised our standards and did the same.

Sad to say but he could become a firefighter some places in Cali :sad:

(For those in Cali I'm not talking about the convict crews that are used).

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Maybe he could just get another conviction and then try and get on a convict fire crew??

:rofl:

travis23

Forum Probie
Sad to say but he could become a firefighter some places in Cali :sad:

(For those in Cali I'm not talking about the convict crews that are used).

:huh: Convict Fire Crews in California? If you don't mind please explain, I've never heard of this haha, do we pay these convicts? and where do they work from

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
:huh: Convict Fire Crews in California? If you don't mind please explain, I've never heard of this haha, do we pay these convicts? and where do they work from
They're from the minimum security prisons (if I recall correctly) and they earn their way on the crew. They're trusted. Why? They're "allowed" out of prison to work the fire lines and are expected to not run-off. Yes, they have guards watching them, but...

And my understanding is that we do pay them, but it's the typical standard prison pay-rate for work done. If I'm wrong about that, well, it's only because I don't work at a prison. ;)