EMS is public safety.

Too Old To Work

Forum Lieutenant
Of course you get better on an ambulance. Going from AMS due to hypoglycemia to a normal blood sugar is getting better. Going from respiratory distress to breathing easy is getting better. Going from a 10/10 pain to a more manageable 5/10 is getting better. From bleeding to not bleeding is getting better.

There is no cure for asthma or diabetes, or CAD, or afib or many diseases that you get called for. You can manage the symptoms to make them better, a lot of the time that is achieved on an ambulance.

This is merely parsing words. What you are calling "getting better" is in fact stabilization. A cardiac arrest patient with ROSC is better than one without. Still, what we do is stabilization since we can't fix them to the point where they don't need transport. Any patient that still needs to go to the hospital after we treat is being stabilized.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Many go to the hospital just as a formality. The diabetic/asthmatic/allergic reaction you treated? Probably wont recieve much more in the way of care and will be home within hours.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
The attitude of some people makes Brown so horrendously unquantifiably disgusted it makes Brown want to vomit to the point it would be unhealthy as Brown would become dehydrated and depleted of essential electrolytes Brown would become mortally obtunded and die.

Brown can no longer willingly participate because it makes Browns head explode.

*Brown takes Oz, Negro and Smash to the pub .... come lads, let us forget this thread ever existed

Your shout

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
God in heaven.

I'm pretty sure that I am now dumber as a result of reading this thread.

I'm heading to the pub with Brown and company.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
I made it to page 3, and I don't understand the point of this thread (as is the case with most of the OP's threads).

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok I thought the breast implant thread was ugly, then I flipped through this one.

Its official there is no hope for EMS, or civilization for that matter.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
I made it to page 3, and I don't understand the point of this thread (as is the case with most of the OP's threads).

I've been through the entire thread several times and I still have no idea what is going on.

I'm beginning to wonder if the OP has adult onset anencephaly. Or perhaps Feal Encephalopathy.

Monteiths Black for me Mr Brown!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Please don't take this thread the same path of the other and keep your criticism constructive.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Lucid

If someone tells you the moon is made of green cheese, you naturally reply with an explanation, perhaps even respectfully worded, of why it isn't, despite having a bit of a private giggle. If you then find yourself being told, in the considered prose of an 8 year old, that you are wrong for a host of laughably poor reasons, being constructive in you criticism seems a bit pointless.

Not to point any fingers, but in a general sense, its a waste of time to argue with idiots because they're too stupid to know when they're wrong, no matter how much you huff and puff.

Monteiths Black for me Mr Brown!

Do drink it all. I'll even shout you a few. Just to make sure I never accidentally get served with any ;)

A pint of Boags Premium, cheers Brown.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Although I understand your position, name-calling and literally accusing those who do not agree with your opinion of lacking a brain does not get us anywhere. Whether they are right, wrong or indifferent, calling someone an idiot or belittling them does nothing to advance the field or our community. Just keep this in mind. It's not necessary, really.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I believe a few years ago the Government of Canada declared that EMS workers are public safety. Air traffic controllers were also declared to be public safety. I believe that EMS is half medicine and half public safety. That's just my two cents worth.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
This is merely parsing words. What you are calling "getting better" is in fact stabilization. A cardiac arrest patient with ROSC is better than one without. Still, what we do is stabilization since we can't fix them to the point where they don't need transport. Any patient that still needs to go to the hospital after we treat is being stabilized.

yes yes yes

IMHO, nobody gets better in the ambulance.

We stabilize them.

We transport them safely. Without endangering other motorists. Better than a hysterical relative.

What we do as EMS is important. But do not confuse it with what happens at the hospital.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I believe a few years ago the Government of Canada declared that EMS workers are public safety. Air traffic controllers were also declared to be public safety. I believe that EMS is half medicine and half public safety. That's just my two cents worth.

I will agree it does overlap. The interface is in the ER room.

My point is, there is nothing wrong with public safety. No shame in being an "ambulance driver", as far as standards, we have to impose greater standards on that driving. No texting talking on phone, chowing on a trough of take out crap food while driving, and being defense and diplomatic about it on the road.

Avoiding crashing the ambulance.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sometimes eating while driving is the only time a crew member gets to eat. So id rather have a poor image than an emt passed out from hypoglycemia.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
Ten pages of arguments over something posted by a person that has proven themselves to be a forum troll in previous threads.

Come on folks. At some point we have to learn the lesson.

IMHO this thread, like others started by the OP should be locked as it has gone absolutely no where.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Sometimes eating while driving is the only time a crew member gets to eat. So id rather have a poor image than an emt passed out from hypoglycemia.

Have a light snack at downtime.

There is always downtime.

And nobody needs eat eat the huge container of rice and beans.

You cant use "I was eating" as a defense for crashing the vehicle.

Public safety work involves long stretches with unpredicatable breaks. There should be better screeening. Someone prone to hypoglycemia is not suited for this work. And EMT or Paramedic should be able to function long periods of time.

If someone cant, then they can get a job in a doctor's office with scheduled breaks.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief

Someone unable to work during long periods of time should not have this profession.

There is always downtime for snacking.

Someone prone to hypoglycemia should not work in an ambulance, fire truck or police car.

People can not eat while you drive. It distracts the operator from controlling the vehicle.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Although I understand your position, name-calling and literally accusing those who do not agree with your opinion of lacking a brain does not get us anywhere. Whether they are right, wrong or indifferent, calling someone an idiot or belittling them does nothing to advance the field or our community. Just keep this in mind. It's not necessary, really.

NOBODY GETS BETTER IN AN AMBULANCE:

Someone is bleeding, the EMT stops the bleeding, they fdont get worse, but they dont get better.

They go to a hospital where a doctor heals the wound.

EMS is not law enforcement and people should be weeded out for thinking they are, at the same time, those people without the ability to go to medical school or nursing school should not play doctor or nurse in an ambulance.

You assess and stabilize the person, and get them to the hospital.

Standras should be maintained. Physical fitness. To many people in EMS "oh, I cant lift", be thick skinned, be able to drive, be able to work long periods without a break.

Why do so many ambulances crash ?

Really be strict about the driving.

EMS people should put their phones away, put the troughs of food away, and just do your job. Nobody that can not go 8 hours without eating should have this job.

During emergencies there are times when someone can not eat or sleep for hours. If someone can not do that, they should not have this job.

The real issue is they just do not have the commitment for medical or nursing school or graduate , so they rote memorize a few $5 words and discuss things on the cellular level and act as if they above everyone else. They use their $5 words to distract everyone from the fact they can't drive, can't lift, and cant go 10 minutes without checking their phones or wolfing down quarts of lo mein.

JPINFV

Gadfly
EMS people should put their phones away, put the troughs of food away, and just do your job. Nobody that can not go 8 hours without eating should have this job.

During emergencies there are times when someone can not eat or sleep for hours. If someone can not do that, they should not have this job.

I'm taking it you've never actually worked for an ambulance service that even flirted with the term "busy."