EMS (in TN especially) is a joke

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Wow right after I posted that I realized how bad of a run on sentence I created. :oops:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
To say everyone is wrong. In the area I work you will find many people that have made EMS a career.
Fair enough. And honestly where i am we have career providers too. But we also have goof municipal and county systems.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
To the OP, let me just say thanks from Tennessee for your feedback about our system and EMS in general. It's not often we hear from someone so young, and yet so proficient in the use of three-letter words. No doubt your experience as an AEMT gives you a unique perspective not only on the professionalism of paramedics, but also on our bathing habits.

Listen, don't sweat the reciprocity thing; I know how inconvenient it can be to have to provide proof of certification. I went through the same thing down here ten years ago. 'Course they charged me a lot less, but maybe that was because they felt sorry for my low intelligence level. These days I just sort of hang out with other not-terribly-bright folks, hoping someone like yourself will bring respect and much gladness to our industry. We may be at the bottom of the barrel, but at least we're looking up.

Jdog

Forum Crew Member
I'm going to have to disagree with you a little on this one Jordy. There are plenty of people who go on to paramedic for the pay and they are some of the worst offenders of many of the complaints that are aired here because the only thing that motivated them was the pay check.
I've been doing some research and turns out there are some pretty good EMS services around the country where you can make it a career. I've only known Orange County EMS my whole life where if you don't land a fire job, you won't be able to survive. Anyways, interesting discussion.

BEN52

Forum Crew Member
Your post is painted with a broad brush and full of stretched truth.

I spent several years in Tennessee and was lucky to work in 3 quality systems and serve with many quality providers. With a stated sample size of n=1 you appear to have assumed that all or at least most services in an entire state are the same way. Perhaps the problem is you and your clear immaturity.