EMS book suggestions?

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Hey all, just looking for any suggestions for EMS related books. Its been a while since ive read anything other than a textbook and id like to read something for pleasure.

Ive already read "En Route" by Steven Grayson and "Rescue 471" by Peter Canning. I really enjoyed Grayson's book. Has anyone read his other release, "A Paramedic's Story: Life, Death, and Everything in Between"?

Im open to anything.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
When I first read your post, I thought you might have been asking for text book suggestions for continuing ed. I never realized that there were EMS related "recreational" reads. How cool! I'm going to take a peek at your suggestions...! :)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
IIRC En Route and A Paramedic's Story are the same book, different publishers.

OP
OP
C

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
When I first read your post, I thought you might have been asking for text book suggestions for continuing ed. I never realized that there were EMS related "recreational" reads. How cool! I'm going to take a peek at your suggestions...! :)

En Route was a better read in my opinion, i would absolutely recommend it.

Oh wow, thanks. I was a few seconds away from ordering it on Amazon.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

This is true. Mr. Grayson commented yesterday in the thread about his book and said that the dedication was the only difference between the two. However, the original version (Life, Death, and Everything in Between) actually has 12 chapters that the new publishers cut out. I really enjoyed reading "A Paramedic's Story", but I just ordered the original version yesterday, I want those extra chapters :p

Here's the link to the other thread

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
Hey all, just looking for any suggestions for EMS related books. Its been a while since ive read anything other than a textbook and id like to read something for pleasure.

Ive already read "En Route" by Steven Grayson and "Rescue 471" by Peter Canning. I really enjoyed Grayson's book. Has anyone read his other release, "A Paramedic's Story: Life, Death, and Everything in Between"?

Im open to anything.

Canning has 2 books, not sure if you've read the other, it's called....err... *checks bookshelf* "Paramedic; On the Front Lines of Medicine." I also recently found an online blog from an EMT-B in London (who has, since he began writing the blog in 2003, changed careers into a nurse type position at a hospital) who wrote about his calls and the National Healthcare system in England; he has two books called "Blood, Sweat, and Tea," and of course, "More Blood, More Sweat, and More Tea." I haven't gotten my hard copies yet as I'm workin out a deal with him to get autographed copies (e-mailing folks can yield wonders), but I'm under the impression that the books are almost exactly like the blog, which is randomreality.blogware.com/blog

I've got another few books tabbed on my browser to get around to buying- why are books so expensive?- "Ambulance Girl" by Jane Stern, which I understand is more of a finding-yourself type book than a stories-of-my-calls book; "Confessions of a Trauma Junkie" by Sherry Jones Mayo seems promising; "House of God" by Samuel Shem is more of a doctor's book but apparently it is hilarious and a "must-read," so there you are.... Lastly I have "Blue Lights and Long Nights" by Les Pringle, who is British and therefore the only place I have been able to find the book is on Amazon (at an unfortunately unflated price due to the exchange rate of British pounds to our dollars). Blue Lights is based on the 70's but all the reader reviews say that the stories are all the same as they are these days, the craziness and the sadness, etc.

....I promise, I have a life, I really do. Not really.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
"House of God" by Samuel Shem is more of a doctor's book but apparently it is hilarious and a "must-read," so there you are

It is about the intern year for new doctors & it totally is a must-read for anyone in healthcare, and it is quite entertaining.

And Ambulance Girl is exactly as you described it. I liked it, but it's more of a personal journey/reflections story than an EMT story. I don't see it appealing to the majority of EMTs.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I enjoyed Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs as well. Members of Service is good, as is Saving Providence.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Throw another vote for House of God. Also consider picking up The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat by Dr. Oliver Sacks.