EMS and relationships

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Just curious how many of you met your husband/wife/significant other while working in EMS.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Just curious how many of you met your husband/wife/significant other while working in EMS.

I met my girlfriend in EMT class. Going on a year and a half. Does that count? B)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I met my ex fiance during trauma course (prereq for our paramedic school). She met her current husband at the service we both worked for (my ex-partner).

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Met my wife while working in EMS. She has nothing to do with medicine. She was working as a translator at the time.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

That brings me to my next question. Do you feel it is easier or harder to maintain a relationship with another person in the EMS field as compared to someone who is not EMS.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

I met my girlfriend in EMT class. Going on a year and a half. Does that count? B)

It's longer than most of my relationships so I think so.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
That brings me to my next question. Do you feel it is easier or harder to maintain a relationship with another person in the EMS field as compared to someone who is not EMS.

Works both ways.

I cannot talk about all parts of my day or life, but it is nice to have some connection to the world outside of medicine.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Mrs Brown may or may not be an RSI qualified Intensive Care Paramedic which means Brown had best be on Browns best behaviour .....

Veneficus

Forum Chief

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
:blink: That's a kind of convoluted relationship web.

Heh, it's even worse since the start of her relationship with my partner was before our relationship ended.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Heh, it's even worse since the start of her relationship with my partner was before our relationship ended.

Ouch.

On another note... I sometimes wish my fiancé was part of the EMS world. But its nice to leave that part of me for a while and escape

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
This was quite the thread to read. ^_^ Every time someone posted the plot thickened, lol.

Lol, and that's why I try to tell new EMTs that sleeping with coworkers is not hte best idea... Now ED nurses on the other hand...

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Lol, and that's why I try to tell new EMTs that sleeping with coworkers is not hte best idea... Now ED nurses on the other hand...

The rule is:

Never sleep with a nurse you don't plan to marry.

Infact it is not a rule, it is a commandment as well as the 37th strategem (which was lost)

The amount of general havoc that the breakup creates rivals that of any disaster. From the prehospital people, to cops, to doctors, it affects everyone.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Thats one of those rules thats meant to be broken, right? :)

In the same way as breaking the rule:

"never try to catch a nuclear bomb"

experiment at your own risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Here's the middle school version of "my ex is now married to my old partner". This is what I had to deal with today.B)

A and B dated for a whole 3 months. (That's a long time, if you're 13.) B decides that C might be more fun to kiss, so B and C proceed to start necking. Smack in the middle of my classroom, during study hall, where everyone can see.

I have a squirt bottle for stuff like this, so it ended fast, but not before A walked by in the hall and saw it. A big fat girl fight resulted and I had to sweep up hair weave from my floor. :(

A and B have my last class of the day together, and I'm still not sure how B didn't get his stupid self killed. He sat there the whole 90min and made comments about C's kissing ability.