EMS addiction

Tone

Forum Crew Member
So I bet some of you dorks on here were expecting this thread to open like;

"I love working EMS and just cant stop"

I actually thought Id start my first post with a more serious topic. EMS employees who are serious hard drug users.

Based on the sheer number of EMT's out there, probably more than you might think. Ever look at the person to your right or left in the truck and think:

"is he/she looking a little bit caked out today?

What support systems does your service have in place to deal with this issue? hopefully you don't just accuse and exile them with a complete lack of evidence....

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Hmmm. Now I'm curious. I think I'll look over my SOPs again.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
EVerywhere I've worked the SOP essentially reads "If your partner is stoned out of his gourd, tell mgmt ASAP"

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
EVerywhere I've worked the SOP essentially reads "If your partner is stoned out of his gourd, tell mgmt ASAP"

But if he's a little stoned, it's cool. Haha.
I haven't seen this a lot in my area. Or I just don't notice it.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If I think my partner is under the influence of drugs, in any amount, they're getting kicked out of the truck.

Luckily, my current partner has the same view on drugs as I do, so I don't foresee it as a problem with us.

medic417

The Truth Provider

zmedic

Forum Captain
Bigger problem then drugs I'd say is alcohol, especially with the volley departments. Where I used to do EMS there was a volly FD that had someone show up to drive their ambulance after having a few beers. I know people drink during their time off, but as much as you want to go on the call stay home if you have ETOH in your system.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Do EMS workers not get random drug testing????

Everyplace except one IFT company I worked for very briefly did random drug testing and yearly testing on all employees.

People who were found to be positive for a host of drugs they could not produce a prescription for were instantly suspended pending confirmation testing. If found positie on confirmation were fired immediately.

I know both nurses and paramedics who were caught stealing narcs. The nurses both were put on probation by the state board of nursing, and now work for a different facility. The medics had their certs revoked for life by the Dept of public safety. All were fired from the employer that caught them.

I agree ETOH is a much bigger problem. It is neither tested for and in the early stages, easily concealed. I have known several coworkers of all levels who would go to the bar right after work every shift. The employers (EMS, industrial, and hospital) had rules regarding no alcohol between 8-12 hours before shift, but drinking right after a shift usually meant they would meet the time restraints.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Great first post...insult, then pose a question.

What a way to set the "Tone".

I reserve further judgment until I see more posts as something smells foul. :)

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
I wish our service would do a random drug test.. I know several people that wouldn't be employed here anymore.

But nothing is mentioned in our policies.

rockwood

Forum Ride Along
emts and drugs

I don't know about yall, but my rescue squad (all volunteers) doesnt drug test but if we knew someone was coming to a shift high then we would not let that happen, just like if someone came to a shift with alcohol on their breath.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
I don't know about yall, but my rescue squad (all volunteers) doesnt drug test but if we knew someone was coming to a shift high then we would not let that happen, just like if someone came to a shift with alcohol on their breath.

Well I was always told you can cover the alcohol smell on your breath up... :p

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Well I was always told you can cover the alcohol smell on your breath up... :p

Oh you can, pretty effectively too. Done it a time or two to fool parents... er... I mean so I've heard it can be pretty effective

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I know you weren't talking to me.

Roger, AK

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
You know what I think?

I wouldn't even begin a discussion with you on that subject Tone until you've been participating in this Forum for a while and had established yourself as having an intent to contribute.

You're asking very sensitive stuff without us having any idea who you are or where you're coming from or where you'd take the info we share.

octoparrot

Forum Probie
We need to remember that drug use is easy to hide if they're good at it. I've seen a few great medics drug/drink themselves out of a career because they couldn't ask for help. Since we're trained to be the help its often hard for people to ask for help when it involves something as sensitive as drug/etoh/ivdu abuse. When i spot someone or suspect someone is using/drinking on the job, its my safety at risk as well as a standard of care issue. It's serious stuff but I think i read somewhere that EMS has a very high potential for drug &etoh abuse.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
In my paid on call/volly service if any member were to show up drunk or stoned then they are immediately terminated as a member of the service no exceptions. As well our members cannot consume any alcoholic beverages while on call.

OP
OP
T

Tone

Forum Crew Member
I wouldn't even begin a discussion with you on that subject Tone until you've been participating in this Forum for a while and had established yourself as having an intent to contribute.

You're asking very sensitive stuff without us having any idea who you are or where you're coming from or where you'd take the info we share.

Ok fair enough.

Ive been reading a bit on here from time to time. Who I am is a full time paramedic, five years on the road.

The reason I threw the dork comment out there is because thats how I feel in the workplace. I walk into work and people ask, what did you do on your days off?

Im hearing replies like:

"oh i played baseball and went to bed at 11pm! Man i was tired..."

Or something like,

"I went to wal-mart, got some new blinds, put them up all in the same day!"

How about: "well I took out 800$ after we got paid, picked up an 8 ball and hit it hard on monday and tuesday. Had sex with 3 different girls in 2 nights, just came in to work on zero sleep and took a new clean uniform from supply, cause ive been living in my truck for the past 2 weeks. But hey I did go to the gym last night. (hypothetical example)

My point is, there are lots of people without varied life experience in EMS. I feel that at least my coworkers, the majority who probably came through college paid for by trust funds and lived upper middle class. Would not have a constructive view of addictions/abuse recovery. (cue the stories of everyone on here saying how they worked 3 jobs to pay for school)

The whole PTSD and incident debriefing really is a joke. If anyone fell into some serious addictions/ abuse issues, at least the system I know would probably just ridicule them and gossip behind their back about it.

Does anyone on here have a supportive addictions program in their workplace?

Last edited by a moderator:

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
kinda of topic, but before I worked as an EMT I didnt even know what dip was, now it gets me trough a 48 staying up and running calls non-stop.