Dumbest thing heard on the radio

sarweim

Forum Probie
"**91 to EMS dispatch"
"**91"
"**91 is clearing St. Mary's, and **92 just arrove."

Arrove?!? Even our patient in 92 was laughing.

(92's radio and dispatch weren't getting along that day)

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
"**91 to EMS dispatch"
"**91"
"**91 is clearing St. Mary's, and **92 just arrove."

Arrove?!? Even our patient in 92 was laughing.

(92's radio and dispatch weren't getting along that day)

Sorry, what was so funny? I must be slow on the uptake today...

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
arrove is not a word.

You're right, but you wouldn't know it from hearing it spoken. "Arrove" is not a word but "arove" is, but you can't tell that a word is misspelled when it's spoken. "Arove" is an older form of the past-tense of "arrive".

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
You're right, but you wouldn't know it from hearing it spoken. "Arrove" is not a word but "arove" is, but you can't tell that a word is misspelled when it's spoken. "Arove" is an older form of the past-tense of "arrive".

Sarweim just got told...

This is one of the cool things about english. There are lots of things you can say that are not technically correct, but a native english speaker will have absolutely no question about what you mean.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
Sarweim just got told...

This is one of the cool things about english. There are lots of things you can say that are not technically correct, but a native english speaker will have absolutely no question about what you mean.

That is not limited to English. I can think of several examples off the top of my head in Spanish.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I dont think arove is a word. I think its always arrived.

*sigh*

attachment.php

"Obsolete past tense of the verb ARRIVE." Now I did say it was an "older form". We can debate the merits of using obsolete words in modern times if you really, really want to, but the fact that "arove" is a word is indisputable. Personally, I see no need to stay on this tangent any longer and am eagerly awaiting more dumb things heard on the radio. :)

Attachments

• arove.jpg
    arove.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,933

njff/emt

Forum Crew Member
Dispatch: Headquarters to FA
Us: Go ahead
Dispatch: Your responding to the bus stop for a sick person
Us: The diner or an actual bus stop
Dispatch: Across from the bus stop

Last edited by a moderator:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
FF said on the radio on an 'investigate for smoke in area' that he was in the air (instead of area). took him a while to live that down

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
*sigh*

"Obsolete past tense of the verb ARRIVE." Now I did say it was an "older form". We can debate the merits of using obsolete words in modern times if you really, really want to, but the fact that "arove" is a word is indisputable. Personally, I see no need to stay on this tangent any longer and am eagerly awaiting more dumb things heard on the radio. :)

Obsolete being the key word. Use silly obsolete words and I retain the right to laugh at you.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Obsolete being the key word. Use silly obsolete words and I retain the right to laugh at you.

That's fine. But tell me it isn't a word, and I reserve the right to inform you of the absolute fact that you are wrong.

OP
OP
HasTy

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
Come on guys don't let this thread fall off topic I started it for humor not for people to argue if you wanna argue argue in PM please!!!

CodyHolt83

Forum Lieutenant
In the city I dispatch for just outside of Dallas, Texas, our ambulance checked en-route to Baylor Garland Hospital. The medic that was on likes to say everything really fast just to mess with me. It went like this--

Box: ''Box 1 is enroute to Bay-Gar C1.'' (remember, he says it really fast.)
me: ''Recieved Box 1 show you enroute Gay-Bar.......''

I'm still hearing about it, every time we have a new dispatcher in training. UGH! lol

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Unit 1: unit 1, show us out at an MVC involving 2 vehicles.

Dispatch: Copy, unit 1. Make sure you call 911.

Unit 1: Copy?

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Unit 1: unit 1, show us out at an MVC involving 2 vehicles.

Dispatch: Copy, unit 1. Make sure you call 911.

Unit 1: Copy?

Reminds me of EMT class...In the CPR portion ("BLS for Health Care Providers") we're taught that as a solo rescuer, we first do the "Hey! Hey! Are you OK?" to the patient, then point to a bystander and shout, "CALL 911!".

Well my partner and I were testing in the mod that included CPR, and were told by the proctor to demonstrate CPR on the "patient" lying on the floor. So my partner went over to the dummy, knelt down, grabbed its shoulders and said, "Hey! Hey! Are you OK?" Then he pointed at me and said, "CALL 911!" At which point the proctor, trying not to laugh, informed him, "No need to call 911, you're already here!"

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Just remember that when you are teaching CPR in a business, with other people in the building that EVERYONE in the building needs to know that there is a CPR class going on.

I had 30+ 911 calls from a business I was teaching at when my first student yelled "you, go call 911 for an Unresponsive person". they did and I got a full Box Alarm dispatched due to all of the calls

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes...that is amusing...but my story took place in an EMT class in a fire department training academy. :D

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
That is not limited to English. I can think of several examples off the top of my head in Spanish.
Kind of like German....where you can create new words simply be taking a deep breath and talking fast. LOL

CotJockey

Forum Ride Along
Dispatch: 412 You have a GSW patient at this location (quietly asks" whats's a GSW?)

US: We copy, responding to the stabbing code 3