Driving Record

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
When employers are looking at your driving record, how concerning is a speeding ticket? I don't have a criminal background at all but I just got my first speeding ticket... 5 over...I've been driving for 10 years and this is my first ticket.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
You got a ticket for 5 mph over the speed limit? Go to court and see if it will get dismissed.

OP
OP
Fry14MN

Fry14MN

I sure did. I was shocked. It was over Memorial Weekend so maybe it was a "I'm going to ticket everyone who is even slightly speeding..." I have no idea but he asked me how my record was and I said I didn't have one..and he came back and handed me a ticket.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I got a speeding ticket the day I got hired at the company I work for. Called back the hiring manger that just hired me and he laughed, told me not to worry about it, and said just make sure it's taken care of.

I think you'll be fine. They're more interested in a pattern of stupid behavior than a simple mistake.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I would absolutely go to the court hearing just to make special plea. Explain that you are an EMS Professional, you have taken defensive driving courses and you are not there to challenge the officer's findings, but asking if consideration can be given to dismissing the charge so that your record remains unblemished as it impacts potential employment.

Basically you are asking for a favor and presenting yourself as professionally as possible. Normally, I do not advocate accepting guilt when making a court appearance, however in this situation which such a low level offense and first timer in long timer situation...it is absolutely worth it.

I have been let off of more serious offenses by handling it this way. There is NO harm in trying, you have nothing to lose. The charge will not become any worse, it can only get better...so give it a shot!

Do NOT attempt to make an excuse for or attempt to justify the speed overage in any way. This will get your request shut down FAST!

And I do agree that most employers would not care about this one time offense, especially if it is as described...however, any chance I have to remove something negative, I go for it.

OP
OP
Fry14MN

Fry14MN

The officer asked if I knew what the speed limit was and I said "I believe it is 30 mph." He said that I was going 35. I apologized up and down to him and offered no excuse other than I was just running a quick errand for work. He gave me the ticket and said, "You really need to learn to slow down.."

To say that I'm bummed is an understatement. I had some medical books on my passenger seat and I know he saw them. since he approached on that side. One was an EMT book. I honestly don't think he cared.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
1. Which is why you should go through the court motion...just get it removed if you can, even though it is inconsequential overall.
2. NEVER answer an officers questions such as "Do you know why I stopped you or do you know the speed limit?"

Let them tell you without you offering any input.

Do you know why I stopped you? Reply, No Officer, why?
Do you know the speed limit? Reply, No officer I do not.
Do you know how fast you were going? Reply, No.

Do not volunteer anything, contesting will always come later if needed, but absolutely contribute nothing in the initial conversation.

OP
OP
Fry14MN

Fry14MN

Thanks you for the help. Not that I plan on getting pulled over again but I will keep that in mind for the future IF needed.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I find PBA cards or corrections badges work well ;), but akfightmedic is 100% right, you can always contest the speed limits and such later, but if they have you saying "yes sir, the speed limit is 50" and your doing 60 your admitting guilt essentially.

OP
OP
Fry14MN

Fry14MN

And that's the thing, he asked me if I knew the speed and I said "I think it's 30." So right there I am saying I know the speed limit but was driving 35...

I understand that speeding is speeding and I'm not making a single excuse. I was speeding but it was 5 over and I've been driving for 10 years with not a single thing on my record. I feel like because I acknowledged I knew the speed that I'm pretty much stuck with it.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I would just go in confident I can only speak for NYDOCCS(Department of corrections and community supervision) because that is where i work, but you can catch a judge on a good day, bad day, the officer may not show up, theres a whole list of possibilities. Good luck!! feel free to ask me about how it works, anything like that.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The officer not showing would be good, as most places dismiss if the officer doesn't show

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
it also happens much much more then people think. courts are not scheduled all that well, and that officer may actually be working during court. In all honesty

OP
OP
Fry14MN

Fry14MN

I'm under review for consideration for a job right now so this ticket came at a less than desirable time. I'm going to fight it. I will let everyone know how it goes.