Driving Commute

djarmpit

Forum Lieutenant
What's the farthest you drive/have driven for your EMT job?

throcktharock

Forum Probie
1 Hour. (50 Miles) one way

During school I drove up to 2 hours (100 miles) to some clinical sites. Never again.

Edited to add mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Living in SoCal at only 18 years old. I drove 225 miles for my first EMT job that was also ALS 911 only in a rural no FD response area. We did do 72/96 though so it was worth it. No SSM and it was pretty mellow.

Anjel

Forum Angel
50 miles one way to work and school.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Living in SoCal at only 18 years old. I drove 225 miles for my first EMT job that was also ALS 911 only in a rural no FD response area. We did do 72/96 though so it was worth it. No SSM and it was pretty mellow.

Desert Ambulance, Barstow? Baker/Needles? Ridgecrest- Liberty Ambulance? Blythe? I know that area pretty well, fond memories.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Desert Ambulance, Barstow? Baker/Needles? Ridgecrest- Liberty Ambulance? Blythe? I know that area pretty well, fond memories.

Blythe is a good one, but my first thought was morongo basin ambulance, or something in Imperial County

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
30-35 miles each way. But I'm currently driving on the complete opposite side of the USA for my EMT job, does that count? :p

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Depending on the base, either 11 miles and 25-50 minutes or 25 miles and 30-40 minutes.

I prefer the longer drive, there are like 26 stoplights on the 11 mile drive and that combined with rush hour city traffic makes me want to punch someone. The other one is nearly all highway.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
I think the furthest was 1 hour for a 24 hour shift.

I made a rule for myself never to drive more than an hour for an <8 hour shift. So 30 minute commute (one way) for 8-16 hour shifts, up to an 1 hr away for 24 hour shifts To make it worth "my time" to drive.

Achilles

Forum Moron
One hour five minutes to school through construction both ways.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
30 minutes all highway and interstate for a rotating 12 hour shift currently

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Forty five minutes or so. Might start driving a couple hours soon

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Excluding days with traffic, 45 minutes.

I refuse to drive any substantial distance or pay a toll without compensation. Many parts of NYC require a fee sometimes as high as $10 to drive to. I work for the city, if I have to pay them to reach my station they put me in, it is a pay cut.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Used to commute 48 miles each way 5 d/wk. Moved closer so that went to 17, then 23, for the remaining twenty years.

I occasionally drive over fifty miles to rescue abandoned CPR classes at a red cross office.

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
Bwwaaahahahahahaha.....got you all beat!

The company I worked for was just bought out by another and the new folks closed my station. Until another one opens, hopefully soon, 85 miles one way, 1.5 hours if no traffic, 2+ hours if traffic. Right now is a 24 hour shift, so it's not bad, but they are talking about going to 12's.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Excluding days with traffic, 45 minutes.

I refuse to drive any substantial distance or pay a toll without compensation. Many parts of NYC require a fee sometimes as high as $10 to drive to. I work for the city, if I have to pay them to reach my station they put me in, it is a pay cut.

Only $10 dollar? Try $13 at teh GW now. $14 next year.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Currently 27 miles, and about 40 against traffic without tolls.

the maximum I would travel is 2 hours, for a decent paying 24 hour shift. For a 12 hour shift, only an hour is my maximum.

If for some reason I was looking at a greater than 1 hour commute, I would be looking to relocate to somewhere closer to work. Fuel is expensive, and tolls add up.

and the Verrazano is up to $15, and 12 on the Outerbridge. Makes it hard to commute from NJ to Brooklyn for anything.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm still in high school, taking an emt program, too though. I drive 20 minutes to my highschool (26 miles/ 75-85 MPH for 22 of them dependent on traffic), another 32 to my EMT class, 45 minutes, then I have to work another 20 minutes south from there. Makes my commute home around 1 hour 45 minutes in light traffic, normally get home 11:30 or so, if I'm unlucky and we close late then around 12:15. Then get right back up at 4:30 to start all over! Oh, the joys of high school... Who says this is the easiest time of our lives?? haha.
Forgot to say this, also. I make a whopping $4/ hr at my work... Whew, gonna be rich! haha.

Last edited by a moderator: