don't want to volunteer

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
In my state (NJ) I get the impression most people sign on to volunteer with their town's first aid squad mainly because the cost of the EMT-B course will be paid for by the state training fund. But, I personally don't want to volunteer. I feel that if I'm going to do this type of work, I should be paid. So I have a bit of a dilemma. Do I pay for the course myself and then get apply for a job with an ambulance service, or join my town's squad so they'll pay for the course and also to get experience? I should mention that my town requires a commitment of a 12 hour shift every week and an additional 6 hour shift every other weekend.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Pay for it yourself. Barring you going to a mill, it really isn't that expensive.

Cost me(my parents) less than $300 total for my EMT / books.

OP
OP
N

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
It's quite a bit more here---around $600 at a local community college.

8jimi8

CFRN
Don't abuse the fund.

Grow up and pay for it yourself. you'll feel better.

OP
OP
N

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
Don't abuse the fund.

Grow up and pay for it yourself. you'll feel better.

I'm probably older than you, so I've been grown up for quite a long time.

But I agree that I'll feel better if I pay for it myself. It's not good to volunteer if your heart's not in it, and I'd get more experience running with an ambulance service (I think).

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
I'm probably older than you, so I've been grown up for quite a long time.

But I agree that I'll feel better if I pay for it myself. It's not good to volunteer if your heart's not in it, and I'd get more experience running with an ambulance service (I think).

1) Join the volley, have them pay for class, then short change them by not giving your one hundred percent when you grudgingly come in for shifts and run calls. This is, essentially, theft. Secondary to that, everyone at that station will know what you did and they'll make sure their friends know as well.

2) Join the volley, have them pay for class, spend a night every other week bunking in (it's not as if the down time at volunteer EMS/fire hall is THAT hectic), take calls, gain experience, network. When you're done your class and have done EMS for a bit, you'll have experience, knowledge and maybe even a few letters of reference when you walk into your first interview. If you're lucky, your first interview for a PAID position will be with a member of your volunteer squad.

3) Pay for the class.

Option 1 doesn't count, that's the "wrong choice".

So, does the amount of effort required for option number two make it more attractive than spending the cost of number three?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
In my state (NJ) I get the impression most people sign on to volunteer with their town's first aid squad mainly because the cost of the EMT-B course will be paid for by the state training fund. But, I personally don't want to volunteer. I feel that if I'm going to do this type of work, I should be paid. So I have a bit of a dilemma. Do I pay for the course myself and then get apply for a job with an ambulance service, or join my town's squad so they'll pay for the course and also to get experience? I should mention that my town requires a commitment of a 12 hour shift every week and an additional 6 hour shift every other weekend.

Don't give the milk away unless you "want" to give it away. You're an adult. It's ultimately your responsibility to pay for your own course. The tax write-off and the license will then be all your's :)

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
My classes ran around $900 w/ books but counted as college credit when I took them. May I ask why you do not want to volunteer as an EMT-B? In rural Iowa most all the towns are 15 mins apart and ran by volunteer agencies with a few paid ALS services within 30 mins or more. Can you not volunteer and apply for a paid position as well? You'll gain some experience which I'm assuming the employer would rather you have as well as practice as a new EMT.

I would have to say about 1 out of 20 EMT's in my part of the state might have a part time paid position.

I only asks because you make it off to sound like being an EMT-Basic is not worth doing or taking the chance at malpractice(which I don't see happening to often at this level) unless your making bank doing it.

Either way good luck w/ the class and your decisions.

OP
OP
N

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
May I ask why you do not want to volunteer as an EMT-B? In rural Iowa most all the towns are 15 mins apart and ran by volunteer agencies with a few paid ALS services within 30 mins or more. Can you not volunteer and apply for a paid position as well? You'll gain some experience which I'm assuming the employer would rather you have as well as practice as a new EMT.

It's because I have a full-time job in an unrelated field, so I don't have unlimited free time. I figured if I'm going to do this, I should get paid for it. I wouldn't have time to work at my 40+ hour per week job, volunteer and then also work a paid ambulance gig.

I only asks because you make it off to sound like being an EMT-Basic is not worth doing or taking the chance at malpractice(which I don't see happening to often at this level) unless your making bank doing it.

Either way good luck w/ the class and your decisions.

I think it's worth doing, but I'd be volunteering 60 hours a month, which seems like a lot. With my full-time job and other things I have going on, I'm not sure I have the time to devote to it. If I do a paid gig, then I can work per diem for however many hours I can.

8jimi8

CFRN
maybe you haven't researched the wage of an EMT-B.

you will probably still NEED a full time job.

edited to add:

heck... maybe you haven't researched the wage of a PARAMEDIC.

Where I volunteer full time medics make $11.00/hr

8jimi8

CFRN
Actually, I volunteer just outside of san antonio. Austin medics start out around 42/year and they do not let anyone volunteer with them. As a side note, you have to pay them to do clinical hours too.

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Wages

I believe Basic's in SW Iowa are starting at 11.00/h and the Medic's 15-18 depending on the company.

Flight.. just a quick question...so per say an Austin Medic Student wanting to do ride time in Austin needs to pay the preceptor?

8jimi8

CFRN
It was me that said that.

Yes, for clinical times you pay. I haven't run any clinicals with them, but when I was attempting to get ride time, I was informed that I would have to pay.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

I hear you on the opportunity cost of volunteering when you could be padding your income instead. It would be nice if we all could live well with just one job w/o OT or per diem work.

Think of it this way, they want a minimum of 15 hours per week on average. If you work as an EMT for a private IFT company, 10 dollars an hour is about average. So, those 15 hours a week will give you a gross of $150 You'll keep $100 of that after tax, as a lowball estimate, since you already work FT. So, if the EMT course costs $600, you'll earn enough to pay for the class in just six weeks, maybe seven if you need to buy gear for the job. What does the volly house want, 15 hours a week for a year or more? Quite the racket if you look at it that way.

Say that you're an indentured servant for the volly house for a year just to get a free $600 EMT class. If you're working 15 hours/week for a whole year, they're getting your services at 77 cents an hour (.77 x 15 x 52 = 600.6). If you were to work the same amount of hours for the IFT company, you'll have $7800 gross on the year, or $5226 after tax assuming you keep 2/3. If you work, you come out on top by $4626. That's maybe two mortgage payments, or maybe car payments for a year.

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
It was me that said that.

Sorry Jim and thank you any idea the cost that sounds kinda crazy and wrong in a way but who knows maybe high demand in the area.

mct601

RN/NRP
$11/hr? Acadian pays their basics more.

Pay for the class, like you said, your heart is not in it to volunteer. Then don't sponge the fund when someone else can get that spot that wants it. My class was $500 total with books, at a CC. By the end of class I had invested in a stethoscope ($15), 5.11 pants ($35 with free socks), and boots ($130, but I knew I would use them in my career so I got the expense out of the way). Outside of that, gas was the only expense. Not being an ***, just being blunt. I understand your point completely, and your best route is paying.

njff/emt

Forum Crew Member
vollie and services all do emergency jobs., i work full time at a transport company getting paid 13 p/h, pull a 12 hr shift at my volunteer squad once a week, and i also volunteer as a firefighter., i agree with 8jimi8 with not abusing the system., i'm not trying to attack u or be mean, but volunteering isn't for everybody., i enjoy volunteering mainly because i get a great sense of pride helping others in need for no charge whatsoever., all vollie orgs. are hurting really badly cause alot of people don't have the spare time anymore like yourself., if u want u can do what i did and go on the weekends., there's a place called community safety consultants that has classes in methuchen., granted it's alot of money for someone strapped for cash, but once you pass, you should make back the money in no time.

medic417

The Truth Provider

I applaud you for not wanting to give away your services. If more people had your attitude and if education standards went up we would see this become a profession where we could make a decent living without working multiple jobs. Also some services do not give you credit for volunteer service and still others will not hire anyone that has been a volunteer. Why? Because so many volunteer agencies sadly have fought to keep standards low, they have strived for the minimum in many cases. Not all are that way, but the truly good ones are the exception not the rule.

OP
OP
N

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
I applaud you for not wanting to give away your services. If more people had your attitude and if education standards went up we would see this become a profession where we could make a decent living without working multiple jobs. Also some services do not give you credit for volunteer service and still others will not hire anyone that has been a volunteer. Why? Because so many volunteer agencies sadly have fought to keep standards low, they have strived for the minimum in many cases. Not all are that way, but the truly good ones are the exception not the rule.

Thanks for understanding what I'm trying to do. I'm not saying volunteering is a terrible thing, only that I believe when you give something away for free, you take away it's value. Do you ever see doctors or nurses working free? They might volunteer their services once in awhile, but not on a regular basis.