Do you donate regularly?

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Just curious how many people here donate blood on a regular basis? I've done it once before, and I'm thinking I should start making it a habit. My initial complaint is that finding the time is hard, but then I admit to myself it is only one hour every 57 days. :p

Anyone else? Does being a in a health care profession mean that we should be champions of blood donation?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I used to donate blood all the time, but I've since been told that I shouldn't do it any more.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I donated a few years ago and the next day I went back asking for my blood back. I felt super sick, lethargic, hypotensive, etc.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I've tried twice. I had too much iron in my blood the first time. And the second time I almost passed out after the finger stab haha.

Never tried again an probably never will.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
I would but I've spent too much time out of the country.

I think I'm eligible to start donating again in a few months.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
When I lived in Austin I went every 8 weeks like clockwork for about 2.5 years. It's been pretty sporadic since I moved. I'm going to add that to my list of things to start doing though.

I've never had a bad experience during or after donating.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I never had problems except that they cannot answer my questions and ave an attitude. I was lied to to get me to come in once.

I take multiple drugs, none of which are needed by a generic person needing blood. I asked about how they get medications out of the donation and was told "Oh, it doesn't matter".

I asked why they don't wear gloves and was told they had a special law allowing them to. (TUrns out there seems to be an OSHA exemption. (How "Universal" of them).

So I still carry my card to get credit for my donated units if ever I need a donation, but they date no more recently than the late Eighties and early Nineties.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I haven't since I got my tattoo.

I used to often. I would have issues from time to time though, because my iron levels were in the 9s. And it needed to be twelve I think.

I have sold plasma a few times though. 50bucks is 50bucks.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

I used to often. I would have issues from time to time though, because my iron levels were in the 9s. And it needed to be twelve I think.

50 bucks? wow that's decent money. I had a call once where some girl donated plasma like 4 times in 8 days to get money to go our for her 21st birthday and then spent it with us and the hospital staff instead. It still holds as one of my ickiest calls ever.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Regular double red cell donor. Just switched from the Red Cross to the BWH/DFCI blood bank. The Red Cross were calling me too often and didn't give me the VIP treatment I deserve as a young healthy O- male with awesome veins.

I figure I should donate as much as I can before I'm deferred for occupational exposure or archaic notions of HIV risk.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Nope, never have and no intention to unless a family member needed it. First, I hate needles. Second, seeing blood come out of me makes me pass out. I do enough of people-helping at work that I'd rather not suffer through it.

I'm O- too, so I guess that makes me all the more selfish? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I donate blood, plasma, and platelets when I am eligible to do so, and able to do so.

OP
OP
C

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief

Wait. They give you MONEY for your plasma? As in cold hard cash?

Wow.

I think I should make more trips to the States. ;)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Nope, never have and no intention to unless a family member needed it. First, I hate needles. Second, seeing blood come out of me makes me pass out. I do enough of people-helping at work that I'd rather not suffer through it.
This is why I don't donate either. IV class and an accident with a band saw have taught me what to expect, passing out.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I also am not a fan of needles on myself. I passed out after a itty bitty 22g blood draw. Large bore donation needle... No thanks.

Also the principles of the red cross don't jive with me. A couple of my friends are gay and can't donate even if they wanted to...that pisses me off. I'm not sure if it's national or just the red cross but it ain't right.

Skittles

Forum Probie
I've donated once. Since then I've gotten a tattoo every six months. I just passed my 1 year anniversary again since my last tattoo, so I'm making an appointment later this week. And then another tattoo. I think I'll end up donating just once a year.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Only ever donated blood once to impress a girl.

But I give my very blood everytime I go to work, does that count?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Anemic, finally resorted to iron infusions to maintain a useful hemoglobin. I think not.