Did you work while in paramedic training?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I didn't work full time during medic school. I knew I was going to be leaving my full time job in broadcast and going to school, so I banked enough to pay most of the bills during that time. I was still doing some freelance consulting work and working part time at my BLS job, but school was the big focus.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
My program was 40-48hrs/wk, and I worked on the box 24-36hrs/wk on top of that. It's definitely doable.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I worked 36 hours a week doing rural 911 and another 36/48 a week doing urban IFT/backup 911 for my rural service while I was in P-school. Both my positions were as an intermediate, and I ran as an in charge doing 911

Last edited:

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Yes, I did. I worked about 40 hours a week and also attended a different university full-time. I finished paramedic with a 92%, and passed registry on my first try.

However, about 10 people in my class did not work or go to school or do anything else except medic school, and they flunked out. School was not that hard, but there was about a one month period where I felt like I didn't sleep for a whole month.

It really just depends on the individual. I'm the kind of person in school that always gets an A, and I never do poorly on tests. You should talk with coworkers who know you personally, and can give you an answer that fits you individually.

arny81991

Forum Probie
It isn't paramedic training but I will be going to EMT basic this fall while also working full-time at an insurance company and I am also in the process of getting married.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
My work does a paramedic sponsorship. They paid for tuition, and I clocked in every day at school. 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Same with clinicals except they were 12s.

I'm now in internship and that is my shift.

marian

Forum Crew Member
I went to an I information session for the program that I am applying to for the fall. The head of the program stated that we should expect to be spending 50-60hrs week on the program and because of that he doesn't reecomend working.

Really? The first semester is only 16 hrs a week of class time. I can't imagine spending an additional 40 hours studying material that was covered in 16hrs of class.

That seems...excessive. I'll go ahead and keep my job and keep training my sport until such time as it us no longer sustainable.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I went to an I information session for the program that I am applying to for the fall. The head of the program stated that we should expect to be spending 50-60hrs week on the program and because of that he doesn't reecomend working.

Really? The first semester is only 16 hrs a week of class time. I can't imagine spending an additional 40 hours studying material that was covered in 16hrs of class.

That seems...excessive. I'll go ahead and keep my job and keep training my sport until such time as it us no longer sustainable.

Is there clinical time in the first semester?

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
My work does a paramedic sponsorship. They paid for tuition, and I clocked in every day at school. 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Same with clinicals except they were 12s.

I'm now in internship and that is my shift.
That is a very nice deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

My first semester of medic school we were doing one or two twelve hour clinical shifts a week

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I did it while working EMS 56 hrs a week (24 on/48 off). Most of the people in my program were sponsored firefighters, so they did the same. Most of the people who failed were the ones with little to no field experience.

marian

Forum Crew Member
Is there clinical time in the first semester?
My first semester of medic school we were doing one or two twelve hour clinical shifts a week

From what I understood, the clinical time only starts at the end of the second semester. But, sign-ups for open clinical shifts is based on placement in the class so the better I do, the easier it will be to pick my clinical shifts.

I have some money saved up and I qualify for a loan but I'm hoping that at least for the first part of the program that is just class and labs, I'll be able to work part time/per diem. I'd like to get more experience, not draw down my savings too quickly, avoid taking out loans (or at least minimize them), and learn more about the agency that I'll be trying to get in to full time once I finish.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I worked full time during my didactic component and also managed to get my 300 clinical hours during the two semesters. We work 24s (XOXOXOOOO) and class was Mon/Tues/Weds from 9-1600. On duty days I would go to class and then drive to work and finish my 24 (usually starting at 1700). Then wake up and drive right back to class. On the other days I scheduled clinical rotations and when those weren't available I'd pick up extra 12 hour shifts at my part time AMR place.

I did get paid for the whole 24 even if I spent the first nine hours obligated for class. I could not schedule clinicals on duty days though. My internship takes precedence over duty days and I will still get paid my weekly rate, but I am expected to pick up open shifts when not on internship so that kinda sucks, looks like it'll be about 80 hours a week on some sort of ambulance. I am limited to 60 hours straight combined between internship and work, so that'll sort of cap it.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief

Wait till clinicals start. We did 1800 hours of clinicals in 14 months, along with school and work

marian

Forum Crew Member
Wait till clinicals start. We did 1800 hours of clinicals in 14 months, along with school and work
Oh, fo' sho' but if I can work for a little during the beginning I'd like too.

But, I'll just see how it goes and adjust as necessary.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Anybody done medic school while in a non-clinical graduate program?