Define a "damn good" medic

NRP2011

Forum Ride Along
i always here people say "he's a damn good medic" etc. What exactly does this mean? I mean we all have the same skills. There's only so much we can as a medic so what distinguishes those guys? What makes them so great? And how do I become "great"? Just your opinion. Thanks

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
The ability to search out the answer for the patients problem, rather than just taking the easy road and posting a new thread--err, I mean, mindlessly following protocol.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
i always here people say "he's a damn good medic" etc. What exactly does this mean? I mean we all have the same skills. There's only so much we can as a medic so what distinguishes those guys? What makes them so great? And how do I become "great"? Just your opinion. Thanks
In a way, no, we don't. We, as Paramedics in the same system, generally have the same scope of practice and generally know how to perform various psychomotor skills that we're all limited to, the newer Paramedic hasn't learned when not to do something. The "damned good medic" generally is a curious dude, always looking for causes of a patient's problem, always looking to learn something. He's going to be familiar with some generally common labs. He might get an "abnormal lab values" call and if he's not attuned to it, might blow it off, only to find himself running a code under less-than-ideal conditions. He's not only aware of the usual indications for all his meds he carries, but is also aware that many of "his" meds can also be used for other things and an order to use them that way (non-protocol) is just a call to OLMD away.

In short, the DGM is that medic that we'd call to take care of us when we're sick because we know we'd be in very capable hands. It goes beyond that though. The DGM is not just a medic robot, the DGM knows how to project/exude confidence and knows exactly how to gain your trust through those "soft" interpersonal skills.

In short, the true DGM is really often a unicorn, an ideal that some folks we call a DGM come somewhat close to, but it's something that we can all aspire to. For those of you that are on flight teams, some of your RN teammates might also be a DGM.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
You really think that all medics are equally skilled? I've seen veteran 911 medics who can barely start an IV or perform an intubation.
Then there are others who have good psychomotor skills, but are useless protocol monkeys who call trauma alerts for unscathed MVA patients with minor confusion just after impact. IMO, a good medic is a clinician who is highly capable and confidence-inspiring in all areas of the job.

Last edited:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
You really think that all medics are equally skilled? I've seen veteran 911 medics who can barely start an IV or perform an intubation.
Then there are others who have good psychomotor skills, but are useless protocol monkeys who call trauma alerts for unscathed MVA patients with minor confusion just after impact. IMO, a good medic is a clinician who is highly capable and confidence-inspiring in all areas of the job.
Re-read what I wrote. I didn't say that all medics are equally skilled nor did I comment on ability to think beyond the protocols. You're basically describing a "lazy" Medic. One kind doesn't care to improve on skill level, the other kind doesn't care to think and probably is just collecting a paycheck. Good single sentence summation of what a DGM is.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Re-read what I wrote. I didn't say that all medics are equally skilled nor did I comment on ability to think beyond the protocols. You're basically describing a "lazy" Medic. One kind doesn't care to improve on skill level, the other kind doesn't care to think and probably is just collecting a paycheck. Good single sentence summation of what a DGM is.

I was addressing the OP (on the same topic that you had highlighted).

Last edited:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

medic5678

Forum Ride Along
First I will say you guys are grossly underpaid and EMS is one of the most under appreciated careers one could imagine. I was a medic, now an ER nurse. There is some skill difference among the medics, just like there is among nurses and doctors. Becoming a damn good medic, like a damn good nurse requires concentration, high standards and vigilance. I don't think there's a shortcut to a lot of hard work. So, when we have someone bring us a hot patient, and they didn't even attempt an IV.. I would say that guy isn't a damn good medic :). And I second what ERDoc just said!

Last edited: