CPR Instructor/First Aid Instructor question

Hockey

Quackers
Going to be taking CPR Instructor course whenever I can find somewhere that is going to do so.

How long does it take? How much does it cost or so? My county agency will pay for it so cost isn't a big deal. Do I have to front the money for any dummies etc?

I have a friend who does CCW courses as an actual secondary job, and they are wanting to start up a CPR/AED Course, and also First Aid, Advanced First Aid, and Ditch Medicine / Self Applied First Aid. Just trying to get information

Thanks

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Different agencies charge different amounts, so no one answer will be 100% correct.

Usually one charge covers all your expenses (books, FA kits, manikins, etc)

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
So what you're saying sort of, is that part of the charge for CPR Instructor Course is for your own personal collection of dummies when you teach?

Never heard of that

JustMarti

Forum Probie
The course isn't expensive, but the equipment can add up quickly. I'm an AHA CPR/First Aid Instructor, but we "rent" our manikins from the local EMS service. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have to buy all the dvd's and manikins.

The class itself was only 8 hours...

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
will you be teaching with your county EMS agency or independently?

Most likely independently, BUT the County will pay for it for whatever reason (not complaining). I will teach for the county if they need a class taught

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
So what you're saying sort of, is that part of the charge for CPR Instructor Course is for your own personal collection of dummies when you teach?

Never heard of that

Are you asking how much the instructor course is? Or how much it costs the instructor in supplies?

I'm really confused here.

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
I know in California, the Red Cross has you take a FIT course first before you are allowed to take an instructors course. The FIT course here is $45 and to become a FR Instrucors course is another $200. I konw that you are in Michigan.

To rent the sullpies from the Red Cross, they charge $20 per manikin. Check with your locial Red Cross to find out.

I just made a five minute phone call to find out all this information.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
ARC puts the CPR/AED/FA for Adult/Child/Infant with FIT all together in an instructor course (at least in my area). In order to teach, you need to work under an "Authorized Provider", which requires a contract that essentially says you are responsible for buying your books from ARC (~$2.50/book, $7.25/skill card) directly (and cannot teach a class for certification, an additional $12 processing fee) without buying the materials from them.

Aside from that, Instructors (or APs) can choose whether to rent mannequins from their local ARC chapter. The mannequins are expensive to rent ($10/mannequin/day)-- so shared between three people ($3/mannequin/student * 3 for the adult, infant and AED trainer).
By the end, you are looking at 10/student for mannequins, another 17/student for books, then you need to factor in the DVD, first aid supplies, face shields, processing fee, etc. The costs really add up quick (with ARC)...