CPR Instructor Course?

8jimi8

CFRN
I have a few question.

If you take this certification class, do you have to buy your own CPR mannequins, or is there typically a place to rent them from?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Usually one has to be associated with a training center and they will sometimes loan you mannequins.

R/r 911

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
You are required to be under a training center. However you may be doing your classes on your own and independently (ie. start a business), where you would need to use your own mannequins. Talk with a local TC and see what the options are...

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
I'm not sure what you mean by, under a training center? I just talked to Austin Travis County EMS and i'm getting all of the details to take their instructor course. Do you mean i am required to be evaluated by a training center? If that is what you mean, then I understand. I am wanting to start a little business part time, that is why I am interested in the instructor course.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not sure what you mean by, under a training center? I just talked to Austin Travis County EMS and i'm getting all of the details to take their instructor course. Do you mean i am required to be evaluated by a training center? If that is what you mean, then I understand. I am wanting to start a little business part time, that is why I am interested in the instructor course.

I think what her means is that if you are certified as an instructor under an agency such as Red Cross or AHA (or maybe the aency for which you are looking to certify) and you instruct under that arrangement, as an instructor for Red Cross or AHA, then you would likely be using their equipment to do so. If you are going to become an instructor and go out on your own (as if starting a business) then you are on your own in this regard as well... This would be something to ask the folks at Austin Travis County EMS.

reaper

Working Bum
If it is through the AHA, then you must work under a training center. Could be a college or private center. Most have the equipment to use. You will likely have to rent it from them. Ours rents out mannequins that are already disinfected and come with new lungs and face Shields. It does cost money to put on a class. You should be taught all about this, when you take an instructor course.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
AHA has training centers (TC) either education or private that one has to be affiliated with to teach. One cannot just get a "card" just because they are an instructor as the paperwork and coordination have to be done.

As far as business, be careful. If you are loaned out mannequins expect to possibly reimburse the center for rental. Most will loan out those for volunteer or agency type services.

I know of many that has attempted to do this and as of yet, seen few that ever succeeded. The initial costs of mannequins, maintenance and up keep, books and time alone is costly. '

R/r 911

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am my own Authorized Provider for ARC classes. That means I host my own "training centers" wheerever I hold my classes. I chose to rent my equipment from the regional ARC, and it is expensive ($10/mannequin/day), but am obligated to buy some supplies and books from them, as well as the admin fees for certification...

reaper

Working Bum
You can do your own AHA classes. But, they require you to be affiliated with a training center.

Can't speak for the Red Cross, don't associate with them. To much politics and money grabbing!

MRE

Forum Captain
I am my own Authorized Provider for ARC classes. That means I host my own "training centers" wheerever I hold my classes. I chose to rent my equipment from the regional ARC, and it is expensive ($10/mannequin/day), but am obligated to buy some supplies and books from them, as well as the admin fees for certification...

I'm my own Authorized Provider too. It makes things fairly easy and flexible as far as finding training locations and providing courses.

I read on the ARC instructors website that a chapter was replacing their "fleet" of manequins and was selling the old ones (Laerdal Rescusi Annies/babys) for $50 each. They were in "well used but working" condition, and the same model is still made by Laerdal, so faces and lungs are still available.

I bought two adults and two infants, and found that they only needed a real good cleaning and some new foam for the adult abdomens.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I provide classes both through agencies and on my own. Most agencies will allow you to use their manikins if you agree to do some teaching for them on a vollie basis. At the cost of the manikins, well worth the investment.

sepsis

Forum Ride Along
Better to purchase them. I teach cpr aed bls acls pals ekg etc and the girl I worked for bought her own and made bank in the process