Coronavirus Discussion Thread

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
Makes perfect sense to me, but it certainly wasn’t the case early on when they were shutting down entire firehouses for 14 days because one person tested positive..
Better safe than sorry approach?

Simple comparison between the US to a very well documented other country that has undertaken extreme precautions.
Thailand close to fully shutting back down when 1 asymptomatic person tested positive, which turned into 3 a day later and 7 four days later.

Sum totals:
Thailand: 3,239 infections, 58 deaths, 3 active cases at present. Country is closed to foreign visitors.
US: 3,764,000 infections, 141,000 deaths, active cases 1,911,870 (https://corona.help/country/united-states)
Comparison to US: 20% population. .086% infection rate. .041% deaths attributed to C-19.
Chinese tourists per year, 2019, approx 10,000,000. (search engine: Chinese visitors to Thailand per year)
One major difference between the two countries is economically Thailand relies much more heavily on foreign tourism than the US.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
How long does this go on? Everyone is so scared.
I haven’t seen any reliable data to indicate this is something to be so afraid of. The mortality rate is not that high, the scientific community flip flops daily on information, and the virus ultimately will take its course despite social distancing, mask wearing, etc because we aren’t doing it forever but the virus will be out there forever.

Let’s face it... this is all politics now. We flattened the curve, we prepped logistics, and we have more treatments.

I’d like to get back to normal with some heightened precautionary measures for the obviously demonstrated vulnerable ones, but ultimately more normal than not.

Last edited:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I haven’t seen any reliable data to indicate this is something to be so afraid of. The mortality rate is not that high, the scientific community flip flops daily on information, and the virus ultimately will take its course despite social distancing, mask wearing, etc because we aren’t doing it forever but the virus will be out there forever.

Let’s face it... this is all politics now. We flattened the curve, we prepped logistics, and we have more treatments.

I’d like to get back to normal with some heightened precautionary measures, but ultimately more normal than not.
There are still some communities that are being hit extremely hard by this virus. As in no ED beds available, no ICU beds available, all ventilator being utilized, and all HFNC being utilized, with 20% of the population being positive. Unfortunately some of our local doctors are still having to pick who will get a ventilator and who will die because there are not enough resources.

I’ve been out of work the past week since I tested positive for the Rona however in that week things have not changed in my local area.

Sure in the majority of the US it may be political but there are areas where it is more than that and should still be taken very seriously.

RedBlanketRunner

We flattened the curve
Never got near it. Reasonably accurate ultra easy to interpret charts. First chart, top left, infection history. Curve lessened very slight on May 8th. Picked up June 18th, went near exponential June 24. https://corona.help/country/united-states
Compare to a country that strictly adhered to lockdown, used masks and maintained social distancing: https://corona.help/country/thailand

The US just hit over 80,000 new infections in a 24 hour period. Appears Fauci's prediction of 100,000 per day will become conservative.

Last edited:

SSMTB

Forum Probie
There are still some communities that are being hit extremely hard by this virus. As in no ED beds available, no ICU beds available, all ventilator being utilized, and all HFNC being utilized, with 20% of the population being positive. Unfortunately some of our local doctors are still having to pick who will get a ventilator and who will die because there are not enough resources.

I’ve been out of work the past week since I tested positive for the Rona however in that week things have not changed in my local area.

Sure in the majority of the US it may be political but there are areas where it is more than that and should still be taken very seriously.
I second this, I work at a hospital in Los Angeles and none of us could have envisioned at the start of the year some of the stuff going on right now.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I’m not a denier of the virus. I’m a realist. I actually went to work in hard hit areas on contracts. I understand the severity in some places. I have treated Rona+ patients face to face.

However, those communities are densely populated areas that have absolutely nothing in common with the majority of the remaining landmass of the nation. The one size fits all approach is not appropriate.

The realism is this- and it’s hard to hear because everyone has some level of fear... This virus is much like other virulent illnesses in that it isn’t going away and it is going to get you sooner or later. There’s nothing we can do. You can hide in your house, you can wear a mask, you can avoid gatherings. Sooner or later you will come out, you will take your mask off, you will go to a social function, or you will slip up on the protections you have... and you will get this virus. And for, oh I don’t know, ~98% +/- of people it will be no big deal or a bad “flu like illness.” For a few it will equal lasting complications, for far fewer death.

Members here have had it, known people who have had it, and appear to be alright save for some who have lost someone vulnerable to it. It affects people differently, but eventually it will affect you to some degree. So all this shutting everything down and halting civilization is a bogus. It’s just delaying the inevitable.

SSMTB

Forum Probie
My knowledge of American demographics isn’t the best, but don’t the densely populated areas, host the majority of the population ? (Genuine question, I have actually have poor knowledge )

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
My knowledge of American demographics isn’t the best, but don’t the densely populated areas, host the majority of the population ? (Genuine question, I have actually have poor knowledge )

Yes, but what is considered densely populated in the US is far more sparse than in Europe or many parts of Asia

RedBlanketRunner

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
The pandemic will end. It won’t be because we wore masks or didn’t or did go to a baseball game or didn’t. That’s all I’m saying.

RedBlanketRunner

The pandemic will end. It won’t be because we wore masks or didn’t or did go to a baseball game or didn’t. That’s all I’m saying.
Probably taper off, like the 1918 H1N1 flu. So far they are tracking very similarly. Spanish flu averaged 19 million infections per month over 26 months. C-19, almost 5 million per month average and rising very steadily. Spanish flu had 5 waves, C-19 3+ months into the first.

Last edited:

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief

I’d like to get back to normal with some heightened precautionary measures for the obviously demonstrated vulnerable ones, but ultimately more normal than not.

As I've been saying for several months, I think long-term disability is the least understood and possibly the most consequential part of this virus. I'm attaching the first research I've seen on it. It's just a starting point.

I agree that politics is embedded in COVID-19 debates, but I wouldn't call it "all politics." I think it's reasonable and prudent to take precautions -- e.g., masks, distancing -- despite what some public figures say, at least until a vaccine is ready. I also think it would be much harder to make an argument to family members of the dead or disabled that the virus is nothing to be afraid of. Chuck Woolery is a high-profile example of how family illness can upend one's conviction that the virus is overrated.

Attachments

• Lingering symptoms research.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 183

RedBlanketRunner

Exemplary infection outbreak response. https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/e...ew-coronavirus-cases-including-16-in-xinjiang

As I've been saying for several months, I think long-term disability is the least understood and possibly the most consequential part of this virus. I'm attaching the first research I've seen on it. It's just a starting point.
There's been some talk in international circles about the long term effects. It's a little aggravating at present in that proper clinical procedures are being rigidly followed. Nothing wrong with that in itself but many procedures can take months to undergo proper reviews, get published and disseminated to the public. Such is the case with long lasting and or debilitating effects. It could be a year or two down the road before we get a full heads up.

I'm really wondering why some countries are playing so fast and loose with this virus, treating it like just another version of H1N1.

Last edited:

RedBlanketRunner

Last edited:

RedBlanketRunner

Reopening the economy without a hitch here. Malls and big box stores opening back up. Ministry of public health in conjunction with the CDC has established rigid guidelines.
Went to a home builders supply today.
Single entrance. Masks mandatory. If you don't have one they are selling them at the entrance. N95 masks. I was already wearing one but got them to sell me 2 more. High quality for about 35 cents each. Cost price? Gov. subsidized? Then sign in, use provided hand sanitizer and get temperature checked.
Looked like a double or even triple shift of employees. Big businesses helping out the working stiffs. They were present to enforce social distancing as well as customer service. And at the checkout line, another dose of hand sanitizer after handling merchandise and money.

RedBlanketRunner

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Dang. 3rd day in a row of record high new diagnosed cases. Thursday saw 55 new cases, yesterday was 60, and now 73 today.

Statewide cumulative total is 1,620. Of those, 1,167 people have been released from isolation while 161 have been hospitalized. No new updates on our ICU load, tho I haven't heard anything to make me think those numbers have changed significantly (we're sitting juuussst under half capacity) Hopefully these new spikes won't need to change that....

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Where are all the studies on Hydroxychloroquine etc.?
There is too much back and forth. I see the FDA statements. I’d like to see the studies.

I’ll keep digging

Last edited:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It will never work. Trump supports the use of it, so it must be bad. Any medical professional who supported it now faces the cancel culture backlash. facts and studies be damned, if you tell people to use it, it must be because Trump said so. After all, if the economy stays closed, if more people die, the greater the chances that Trump will lose in November.
In the future, I believe this misbegotten episode regarding hydroxychloroquine will be studied by sociologists of medicine as a classic example of how extra-scientific factors overrode clear-cut medical evidence
very true words