Color-Blind

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There was a pretty basic test for my company. You only had to see red yellow and green. No tricks.

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
To help calm a friend down I told her that her sister is at a great hospital with smart and competent providers and that if I ever had to be a patient I would want to go there.

The first part is completely true. The second part not so much. I would never go to that hospital if I had a choice.

What does that have to do with me being colorblind? :blink:

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
There was a pretty basic test for my company. You only had to see red yellow and green. No tricks.

So basically they wanted to make sure you can read a traffic light properly?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What does that have to do with me being colorblind? :blink:

Hahaha. I posted that on the wrong thread but fixed it.

Yeah that was all it was. There were 3 huge boxes that were either red, green, or yellow. You just had to say what colors your saw up there.

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Lol.. I didn't have a CLUE what you were talking about.

Damn, that is SUPER easy, even for me!

Lozenger19

Forum Crew Member
I'm colour blind and am training as a paramedic.

Colour blindness is recognised as a disability under the disability discrimination act, so they can't refuse to give you a job just because you're colour blind.

The only problem is... Are you allowed to drive?
My colour blindness is so bad, that I can't see traffic lights so have been refused a driving licence

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm colour blind and am training as a paramedic.

Colour blindness is recognised as a disability under the disability discrimination act, so they can't refuse to give you a job just because you're colour blind.

The only problem is... Are you allowed to drive?
My colour blindness is so bad, that I can't see traffic lights so have been refused a driving licence

It's not that you can't be fired or refused to be hired because you're color blind, reasonable accommodations must be provided. If all of the EMTs and paramedics are required to drive and, for what ever reason, you can't drive, would being an attendant only be considered a reasonable accommodation? For example, in California to be medically qualified for an ambulance driver certificate (same medical standards as a commercial vehicle driver license), you must be able to differentiate between red, green, and amber.

Similarly, especially given how oversaturated the job market is in most places, try to prove that being color blind was the reason you weren't hired.

Last edited by a moderator:

phideux

Forum Captain
I don't know if it disqualifies you or not, but when I took my physical to get hired, there was the color-blind test.
Also alot of stuff is color coded:
Braslow tape
IV catheters
Triage tags
Blood draw sets

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not that you can't be fired or refused to be hired because you're color blind, reasonable accommodations must be provided. If all of the EMTs and paramedics are required to drive and, for what ever reason, you can't drive, would being an attendant only be considered a reasonable accommodation? For example, in California to be medically qualified for an ambulance driver certificate (same medical standards as a commercial vehicle driver license), you must be able to differentiate between red, green, and amber.

Similarly, especially given how oversaturated the job market is in most places, try to prove that being color blind was the reason you weren't hired.

Just don't tell them until you're given a job offer.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I think it will be up to you, but using color alone to identify anything, due to changing lighting conditions and lack of standards for many things, is an invitation to errors. In any system, color coding is never as good as some sort of alphanumeric code or good old big lettered labeling.

In fact, we were taught to disregard such things as color and patterns when we were taught to do stuff because even the same manufacturer can change colors between packaging years, or between different manufacturers.

As long as they market maroon scrubs (on which blood is nearly invisible when not yet faded by the laundry) and provides wear black shoes, I don't see where color sense plays much part in EMS except to appeal to buyers.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Super secret trick, all stop lights are in the same order. Red is always the top, color, amber the middle and green the bottom. If you can tell which light is lit up you don't have to be able to see colors.

I know some places have sideways lights, i think those are red to green from left to right but I'm not 100% sure.

The entire traffic system is set up so you don't have to be able to read or see color to use it. There is a reason the stop sign is the only octagonal sign.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

JPINFV

Gadfly
Super secret trick, all stop lights are in the same order. Red is always the top, color, amber the middle and green the bottom. If you can tell which light is lit up you don't have to be able to see colors.

I know some places have sideways lights, i think those are red to green from left to right but I'm not 100% sure.

The entire traffic system is set up so you don't have to be able to read or see color to use it. There is a reason the stop sign is the only octagonal sign.

I never argued otherwise. I simply stated the physical requirements listed for a commercial drivers license, which are also used for a ambulance driver certificate. Counterpoint: flashing lights on vehicles approaching you or vehicles parked that you are approaching.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
That wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at the person above who said they had been refused a driver's license because they were color blind. While I'm sure state law varies, i thought it was worth pointing out color blindness doesn't automatically mean it is impossible to drive.

Emergency Laughter

Forum Probie
color blindness

I'm color blind and worked in EMS and surgery for 20 years without any issues. The only time I was told I couldn't do something was filling in at a dispatch center with a color coded computer program. Oh and nobody lets me paint their house anymore...

You should know the shades of color you have problems with so just be aware of it. Don't let it stop you.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The only time I was told I couldn't do something was filling in at a dispatch center with a color coded computer program. Oh and nobody lets me paint their house anymore...

In other words no loss at all :)

Lozenger19

Forum Crew Member
That wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at the person above who said they had been refused a driver's license because they were color blind. While I'm sure state law varies, i thought it was worth pointing out color blindness doesn't automatically mean it is impossible to drive.

I assumed you were aiming this post at me?

Th reason I was refused a driving licence is because I can't see traffic lights. I can't even tell if I is traffic lights or a sign or what. I see a big black square and nothing else.

I'm not living in/ working in/ from america

I live and work in the UK

Riley

Forum Ride Along
I know you may have an issue getting signed off if they require a physical for your school. My basic school required one but my medic school did not. I know my doctor would have refused to sign off but she tested my colorblindness by using the vacuum tubes which are the common color coded methods.

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
I know you may have an issue getting signed off if they require a physical for your school. My basic school required one but my medic school did not. I know my doctor would have refused to sign off but she tested my colorblindness by using the vacuum tubes which are the common color coded methods.

The only test I have ever seen is the bubble letters/numbers that are in.. say red, and the background is green. Those are what I cannot tell the difference with, and that is what I am afraid the physical will have.