Color-Blind

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Straight to the point, I want LOTS of opinions here...

I am colorblind, should I pursue a career in EMS or not?

Some people tell me it doesn't affect the job at all, and it isn't on any exam.
Others tell me that I shouldn't even consider a job in EMS, because nobody will hire me.

Please help..

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
i know a few medics who are colour blind. They haven't complained about it.

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
I know almost everything, if not everything is not only color-coded, but like the needles have the gauge size on them as well.. That's how I grab the correct one.

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
So a full time fire dept, who does both fire and medical probably wouldn't hire me?

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
So a full time fire dept, who does both fire and medical probably wouldn't hire me?

There is no harm in looking into it. If you call around to some recruitment folks im sure they would have no problem telling you their policy. I imagine that like everything else in EMS, it varies by department.

I dont know of any fire departments near me that will hire somebody who is color blind though.

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Alright, Thank you!

Joe

Forum Captain
i may or may not be slightly color blind (looks around to see if anyone important is looking) it hasnt effected me yet. i can see colors i just mix up green and a couple shades of red. doc cleared me so i guess it wasnt that bad. just check first or be really good at faking it

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
i may or may not be slightly color blind (looks around to see if anyone important is looking) it hasnt effected me yet. i can see colors i just mix up green and a couple shades of red. doc cleared me so i guess it wasnt that bad. just check first or be really good at faking it

Lol.. Believe me, I am a PRO at faking it.. when a medic ask's for "THE GREEN ONEE!!" You wouldn't believe how fast I can read all the needles, and find the proper gauge! ;P

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I know almost everything, if not everything is not only color-coded, but like the needles have the gauge size on them as well.. That's how I grab the correct one.

Wouldn't not being able to properly differentiate colors then require you to look further into what it actually is by reading what it says?

Potentially reducing errors?

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Wouldn't not being able to properly differentiate colors then require you to look further into what it actually is by reading what it says?

Potentially reducing errors?

I REALLY like the way you think! ;)

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Straight to the point, I want LOTS of opinions here...

I am colorblind, should I pursue a career in EMS or not?

Some people tell me it doesn't affect the job at all, and it isn't on any exam.
Others tell me that I shouldn't even consider a job in EMS, because nobody will hire me.

Please help..

Absolutely there is no place in EMS for racism.

bigbaldguy

Lol sounded funnier in my head I guess. Being color blind is another way of saying you're not racist. I deliberately misconstrued the meaning in this context so as to create what was meant to be a humorous remark.

Let me start over (in monotone and completely humorless voice) No I don't think there is any reason you could not be in EMS due to your colorblindness.

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Lol.. at first I was like.. hmm is he being serious, or funny? So if you WERE being serious, I didn't want to like offend you, so that's why I said what I did. :)

It has also been a VERY long day for me, my brain isn't firing on all cylinders..

Thanks for your input too! :)

bigbaldguy

Lol.. at first I was like.. hmm is he being serious, or funny? So if you WERE being serious, I didn't want to like offend you, so that's why I said what I did. :)

It has also been a VERY long day for me, my brain isn't firing on all cylinders..

Thanks for your input too! :)

No worries.

JPINFV

Gadfly
As long as you can identify the periwinkle box when running a code. ;)

OP
OP
Oculuck

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Mmm.. What's that, an EMT-S?

EMT-Shrink? Lol.. :rofl: