Cole Schaefer Ambulance Pomona

shademt

Forum Probie
Would anyone have any updated information on this company? I know they run 911 in certain areas but does anyone know their interview process, pay, working conditions, operation setup (BLS calls, running 911, etc)? I appreciate any feedback

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
I applied to Shaefer many times and never got a response. I have lived in Pomona for 17+ years........ I have coworkers that use to be employed with Cole-Schaefer and after what they say I'm glad I never got a response from them. And theres a rumor going around that Cole Schaefer is losing Pomona.

OP
OP
S

shademt

Forum Probie
Out of curiosity, what are some of the negative things your coworkers said about the company? Im trying to do 911 and im looking into schaefer or AMR Rancho

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Just the typical management problems. Stay away from Schaefer if u want 911 experience. You will always be last on scene and only get to help with loading/unloading stretcher. Schaefers main office looks pretty rundown.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
We are always hiring here in Riverside, if that's not too far from you.

terrible one

Always wandering
Would not recommend.
Poor pay, poor conditions at stations, poor quality of equipment / rigs, horrible schedule.

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
I am surprised that there are so many negative comments on Schaefer, I thought they were a good place to work like Care/AMR/McCormick as they all provide exclusive 911 transport. Schaefer sounds like your typical dialysis company on here lol

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I am surprised that there are so many negative comments on Schaefer, I thought they were a good place to work like Care/AMR/McCormick as they all provide exclusive 911 transport. Schaefer sounds like your typical dialysis company on here lol
They use to be great. The owners (Schaefers kids) like to pinch pennys.
They have a union but I don't think their shop stewards are very helpful or people know how to use the union benefits. They pay your average 911 pay. I turned down a job with them years ago and I found them very warm and welcoming. I lived in Claremont for over 20 years. I knew some of the family.

terrible one

Always wandering
Covering a 911 response area does not equate to being a well managed, employee friendly company.

Exactly.
Yes, they do 911 transport. However, working there and then a couple years at McCormick I realized what a well run private 911 company looks like compared to a poor one.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I believe they now work an A, B, C schedule. Which means you work two 24s a week with for three weeks with a third 24 worked in once a month. They are now paid full 24s.

In the SGV division, Full Time employees work 911 cars. Part time employees work a set schedule on IFT cars. LA division is all IFT.

I've had a couple buddies work for Schaefer and it sounds significantly mismanaged, equipment leaves much to be desired, and stations that are more like barns to house employees.

If your choice is Schaefer vs. AMR Rancho, go AMR Rancho. You'll be 1-1 with a medic in Rancho. With Schaefer, you'll get some interesting calls in Pomona, Azusa, or Glendora but mostly you'll be just standing around tearing tape for county fire.

terrible one

Always wandering
Glad to hear they at least changed their horrible "A" "B" schedule. Not surprising nothing else has changed since I left almost 10 years ago.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
OP
OP
S

shademt

Forum Probie
Thanks for all the feedback, its much appreciated. Schaefers pomona station is down the street from me but It seems working IFT or AMR Rancho is better than having to deal with poor 911 working conditions.

wtferick

Forum Captain
Thanks for all the feedback, its much appreciated. Schaefers pomona station is down the street from me but It seems working IFT or AMR Rancho is better than having to deal with poor 911 working conditions.
Whatever experience you can take. Take it.