Code driving

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
im sure you have seen the over powering profile of the old grey building that is the county hospital across the street.

Oh, yes, I have, just haven't had the pleasure of actually going through those gates.

Clibby

Forum Crew Member
Wait, are you seriously telling me that all transports require the use of emergency lights and sirens? That said, the amount of times I've seen a BEMS ambulance sitting 5-7 cars back at a red light blaring their sirens and horns and forcing cars into intersections with people in the cross walk in pretty scary. I saw it happen twice last week alone.

Of course the really stupid thing (albeit not a BEMS thing) is the amount of times I've seen ambulances going north on the 93 by the Neponset circle with their L/S when there wasn't any congestion. (note to any EMTs in MA south of Boston. If you're ambulance is going the speedlimit on the freeway you really don't need any ambulances).

Actually right here in Boston, BEMS's protocols state that every call must be responded to with l/s. Then every transport must use l/s. They justify this for non-emergencies by saying that it helps get the units back on the road for the next call. I'm not saying it is right, but that's how it is. I also know that some of the private companies in the area have similar mandates.

JPINFV

Gadfly
That's just madness. I guess that explains why everytime I set foot outside of my lab near Tufts I see a BEMS unit going code three.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I think if you are going l/s because it makes you feel better, time to downgrade to a non-code response.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
We try to run l/s as rarely as possible. We use A,B,C,D,E priority dispatching and only use l/s to respond for C,D and E. It's pretty rare to see one of our units transporting l/s to the hospital.