Christmas Shift

emscrazy1

Forum Lieutenant
Who is working or picking up a shift on Christmas? I'll probably pick up a shift simply because I will get holiday pay plus it'll be overtime for me. I don't have kids or a girlfriend so why not make money?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm working on Christmas and new years. It's double time for us.

OP
OP
E

emscrazy1

Forum Lieutenant
I'm working on Christmas and new years. It's double time for us.

We actually get 8 hours of pay for holiday pay. We work 10 hours shifts though, I guess they wanted to cut off 2 hours. I'll take the 8 hours of pay plus time and a half for overtime. It will end up working pretty well for one shift.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For holiday pay we get double time for the first 8 hours of our shift. The next 4 hours is 2.5x normal pay. Anything over 12 hours on a holiday is triple time. This makes it so not alot of people want holidays off so it's not an issue for the company.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'm working Christmas too, and have the past few years. I'm Jewish, so if I weren't at work, i'd just be getting Chinese food and going to the movies. The Holiday pay and OT aren't bad either.

c3255f539098bc800546940555826eee.jpg

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Christmas day and new years eve for me :( BUT... Leaving for a week to CO right after my new years eve shift :D

Sasha

Forum Chief
I work Christmas, NYE and NYD.

I'm going to be rolling in the money.

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
I'm working a 24 on Saturday to Sunday. So I will be working all day Christmas and New Year’s Eve and 8 hours into Christmas and New Year’s Day. I don't mind it. I am 19, single and it is good money.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Not any more!

I'd always get tapped as "the old man" who could help keep the shift going so the real managers could always weasel off and leave a newbie (not me) in charge.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I'll be working Christmas Eve, and until 0700 on Christmas day, but I'll probably just hangout with the crew on Christmas day anyways. Then I'm working New Years day, so no parties for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Im off over christmas but have to work over New Year's.

We dont have kids so having to work Christmas isnt that big of a deal to us. Course it still wouldnt matter if we did work. We would just arrange what we do around work and carry on. EMS doesnt stop for a holiday.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
We used to work Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas every year. We didn't have kids, our families liked to schedule things to be on a different day anyway, and so on.

I am PT, and didn't sign up for any Christmas shifts, and hubby managed to trade off of his. If he gets promoted, that will end, and he'll be the low man on the totem pole for a few years again.

Oh, well.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, 12 hour day shift. Third year in a row. My platoon has two more years of working Christmas until the rotation has us off for the next five or so. By then I should have the seniority to take it off if I want. It's a pretty lucrative shift though at double time plus 12 hours stat pay.

Missedcue

Forum Crew Member
I work until 20:00 on Christmas Eve then hop a 23:00 flight across the country. It's going to be an interesting holiday.

Roman506

Forum Probie
I am scheduled off, but since i'm single I am working 48 straight picking up a 24 hour shift for another emt.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
No kids and no wife so I'll be working Christmas and new years. Sure I'll probably one day die alone with no one to hear my weak pitiful cries after I fall off the couch and slowly starve to death, but for double time and a half I'm willing to risk it.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
No kids and no wife so I'll be working Christmas and new years. Sure I'll probably one day die alone with no one to hear my weak pitiful cries after I fall off the couch and slowly starve to death, but for double time and a half I'm willing to risk it.

I'm glad there's someone else with the same life plan as me...