Challenging the test result for paramedic

rescue1428

Forum Ride Along
Has any failed the NREMT paramedic exam and challenged the score? If so what did you get back from the results and what did NREMT do to correct then. I feel like a found a lot of problems with my test questions and answers. Back ground I've taken the paramedic exam 5 times, today was the 5th. Haven't got results yet. On some of the question I was telling my partner and other medics about was not correct to them. Brief example patient in PEA rhythm has a BP of 90/60. How can you have a BP with pea. Also no hr, and rhythm was attached to the question.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I’m just gonna throw it out there and say that after 5 attempts maybe you are just not understanding the questions that are being asked and/or not retaining the information you covered in medic school.

The NREMT questions are not just questions that was written by volunteer medic mike. The question bank has been written, approved, and verified by multiple members/committees before they are allowed to be used. Additionally new questions are typically used as beta questions that don’t count towards your score. The beta process works as another verification process.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Has any failed the NREMT paramedic exam and challenged the score?
Challenged the score? You mean the pearson vue one? the written, where you only get pass or fail?

First I would check out https://www.nremt.org/document/cognitive-exams

If you still have any questions, I would contact the NREMT directly here: https://www.nremt.org/Contact

If so what did you get back from the results and what did NREMT do to correct then.
I don't think I have ever heard of NREMT correcting their results... I mean, they have some bad questions, but that's par for the course.
I feel like a found a lot of problems with my test questions and answers. Back ground I've taken the paramedic exam 5 times, today was the 5th. Haven't got results yet. On some of the question I was telling my partner and other medics about was not correct to them. Brief example patient in PEA rhythm has a BP of 90/60. How can you have a BP with pea. Also no hr, and rhythm was attached to the question.
I know you might not want to hear this, but after failing the 4th time, maybe the issue isn't with NREMT?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Has any failed the NREMT paramedic exam and challenged the score? If so what did you get back from the results and what did NREMT do to correct then. I feel like a found a lot of problems with my test questions and answers. Back ground I've taken the paramedic exam 5 times, today was the 5th. Haven't got results yet. On some of the question I was telling my partner and other medics about was not correct to them. Brief example patient in PEA rhythm has a BP of 90/60. How can you have a BP with pea. Also no hr, and rhythm was attached to the question.
Just a couple things: the NREMT does place "beta" questions that are basically unscored questions to see how they do in a "live" environment before they're formally adopted into the test question pool. Second, I highly suggest you look at how computer adaptive testing works. Third, I think you should look at how RN questions (NCLEX) are designed and how to parse them so you can properly answer those kinds of questions. The NREMTP exam is built in a similar manner. When NCLEX-style questions are used along with adaptive testing, it is much easier to determine pass/fail for any given candidate in a relatively few number of questions. This system will find the limit of your ability for that day.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Dan Limmer has a good series on how to successfully pass the NREMT by having a sound test taking strategy. I recommend it to all my students.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
NR does have a process for you to request a rescoring of your exam -- details available at https://nremt.org/Policies/Examination-Policies/Cognitive-Exam-Policies under "Exam Review Process". The review process is available, and very fair, but from what I understand, very rarely successful. The rescoring costs $150, and if you are requesting, you should be extremely specific about your concerns.