Certs in multiple states

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Say I'm licensed in State A and get reciprocity with State B. State B has automatic reciprocity with State C, but not State A. Does that mean I now have reciprocity with State C?

And a stupider question: If I "transfer" my cert from one state to another, do I lose it in the first?

I'm an situation where I could easily work in any of three states, and I'd like to extend my options. I'll be making lots of phone calls about this, but I figured I'd see if anyone knew much about the subject first.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Which states specifically???

If a state allow reciprocity and issues you a certification, then you are allowed to work under that certification within the directives and guidlines imposed.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One can have mutliple licenses and certifications and never loose as long they keep current. EMS is not usually alike nursing where one has a "original" state.

R/r911

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
As well, the beauty of the NREMT is that there you have a national registation, that can easily be transferred into certification in many states.

OP
OP
S

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Thanks, everyone!

I don't want to identify the specific states because it's a very weird combination and I'm paranoid about internet anonymity. But two take NREMT and one doesn't.

After calling around, it turns out that I can be licensed in all three (assuming I pass a state exam for one), but will have to do separate continuing education for two. The fees are minimal enough so that I'm going to go ahead and get the certs and deal with the CE as it comes up.

medic417

The Truth Provider
and deal with the CE as it comes up.

As soon as you can start CE's do so that way it doesn't sneak up and bite you in the butt. Then you will only have to worry about having money to pay for your renewal when it comes around.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Thanks, everyone!

I don't want to identify the specific states because it's a very weird combination and I'm paranoid about internet anonymity. But two take NREMT and one doesn't.

After calling around, it turns out that I can be licensed in all three (assuming I pass a state exam for one), but will have to do separate continuing education for two. The fees are minimal enough so that I'm going to go ahead and get the certs and deal with the CE as it comes up.

Paranoid? Ok....

NREMT-P, NJ MICP, NJ EMT-B, Fla EMT-B, and I'm waiting to take my Fla Medic test. I live in the 400 block of Connecticut Ave, in Atlantic City, NJ, with a giant 150# German Shepard I starve so he is vicious. :ph34r:

OP
OP
S

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
medic417 said:
As soon as you can start CE's do so that way it doesn't sneak up and bite you in the butt. Then you will only have to worry about having money to pay for your renewal when it comes around.

I will once I get the initial certs processed, but I'm going to ignore it until then aside from finding out what exactly they want. Too much to do in the next month.

Paranoid? Ok....

NREMT-P, NJ MICP, NJ EMT-B, Fla EMT-B, and I'm waiting to take my Fla Medic test. I live in the 400 block of Connecticut Ave, in Atlantic City, NJ, with a giant 150# German Shepard I starve so he is vicious. :ph34r:

*prepares letter bomb* :ph34r:

No, really, I've run into some seriously creepy internet people before. Besides, I'd rather keep a separate identity online in case I ever feel like ranting. EMS is a small world, and I know there are some people on here who work in my current area, although I don't think I know any of them in-person.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Paranoid? Ok....

and your qualified to get reciprocity in NY

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
As well, the beauty of the NREMT is that there you have a national registation, that can easily be transferred into certification in many states.

NREMT is not beautiful at all and reciprocity is hardly easy. Many stated "accept" the NREMT but then make you jump through hoops.

reaper

Working Bum
Not really! It is pretty easy to get your cert in most states.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Not really! It is pretty easy to get your cert in most states.

Exactly, to get my certs in the 2 states I have, one was filling out a simple form online, and the other was a little paper work through snail mail. Easy as 3.14

flhtci01

Forum Captain
NREMT is not beautiful at all and reciprocity is hardly easy. Many stated "accept" the NREMT but then make you jump through hoops.

I agree. Currently licensed in 3 states. Two NREMT and no problem getting licensed, the third accepted NREMT but still took three onths to get licensed.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
Say I'm licensed in State A and get reciprocity with State B. State B has automatic reciprocity with State C, but not State A. Does that mean I now have reciprocity with State C?

And a stupider question: If I "transfer" my cert from one state to another, do I lose it in the first?

I'm an situation where I could easily work in any of three states, and I'd like to extend my options. I'll be making lots of phone calls about this, but I figured I'd see if anyone knew much about the subject first.

It is not like a driver's license...
when you get your reciprocity to another state you are then licensed in 2 states...there are a lot of areas on state borders where the companies recommend getting certs for both states.

I am currently licensed in NH and NY (got my original medic in NY) my NY expires this sept. if I wanna renew I just got to take a written test...if it expires I just need to take the same test to re-instate it.

Automatic reciprocity just means that you won't have to jump thru hoops...it is more just filing paperwork...

When I took my PA basic to NY it was paperwork...but I have been told by people that went from NY to FL they had to test (written and practical)...

Tiberius

Forum Crew Member
NREMT is a money racket; more crooked than the Gambino Crime Family.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
When I took my PA basic to NY it was paperwork...but I have been told by people that went from NY to FL they had to test (written and practical)...

Florida does not use the NREMT for its Paramedic exam. However, they accept the NREMT-P to allow you to test for their state exam which has questions specific to their state protocols for trauma and a few other things.

Florida does use the NREMT for its EMT exam.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
Florida does not use the NREMT for its Paramedic exam. However, they accept the NREMT-P to allow you to test for their state exam which has questions specific to their state protocols for trauma and a few other things.

Florida does use the NREMT for its EMT exam.

but NY does not use NREMT at all...actually I have known some NREMT medics who got their reciprocity in NY and they told me that NY would not recognize the registry but took their state card instead...I believe coz NY is *** backwards any way...

I think the NREMT is a good idea...if we can get every state on the same page with the same education and everything is a good idea...

but dumb states like NY and Mass. are afraid to give up the control or something

VentMedic

Forum Chief
but dumb states like NY and Mass. are afraid to give up the control or something

Florida's argument for not using the NREMT-P is its test score is the equivalent of 70% while Florida wants 80% on their state exam for a passing score.

However, it is amazing that even with all the advantages of knowing what is on the practicals and the not too high standard for passing the NREMT written, some continue to complain the test is too hard. Happily, those that say this usually do not pass the Florida exam which is pitifully easy also if you memorize the right stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiberius

Forum Crew Member
Why?

Could you please explain your statement?

Perhaps I did go a little overboard with my statement...I was referring to the high retest fees and all that...see, I've heard horror stories about the computer-based testing format. The last time I tested out for NREMT it was on paper, where you can run through the questions you were pretty sure of, then go back to the questions you weren't sure of and spend some time on them. I passed, and I do well on tests with that kind of scenario. I've heard that you can't do that with the computer-based test. My statement was more out of "fear" and bias, blowing off hot air, etc. for whenever I test out for my EMT-P...so please don't take my gripe too seriously.

I DO have a legitimate "gripe" about NREMT. Why can't NREMT be accepted in ALL states? For example, NY doesn't accept NREMT while other states like KY, OH, WV, etc. do. To the best of my knowledge, all of the states have more or less adopted the same curriculum for EMS education, at least for EMT-B. So why not make NREMT the nationwide regulatory agency for our profession? I figure it would be better if all of the states recognized NREMT, reciprocity would be a lot easier.