CCP-C vs FP-C

NightHealer865

Nationally Registered Paramedic
I’m taking a critical care course which at the end allows me to test for either CCP-C or FP-C. Which of the two would be of better benefit? Why would you test for one and not the other? What restricts would one give you over the other?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Well if you are planning on going flight then FP-C is probably a better option. If you are not planning on going flight then CCP-C would be fine.

They are pretty much the same test. The FP-C includes questions about the flight environment and pathophysiology related to flight. The CCP-C replaces those questions with other questions.

OP
OP
NightHealer865

NightHealer865

Nationally Registered Paramedic
If I took CCP-C and later decided to fly, will flight services take the CCP-C?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Really going to depend on the flight company. Some may require FP-C, some may accept CCP-C but prefer FP-C, whiles others may completely fine with CCP-C.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Typically yes. They might allow you to apply and take the FP-C later if they want it. The CCP-C shows them you can pass the test.

Most people say the CCP-C is harder.

Rubicon Bob

Forum Crew Member
Typically yes. They might allow you to apply and take the FP-C later if they want it. The CCP-C shows them you can pass the test.

Most people say the CCP-C is harder.

I felt the CCP-C was a bit harder then the FP-C, but I took them 6 years apart and have to admit I didn't study as hard for the CCP-C.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Many flight companies will accept CCP-C as an advanced certification however will only offer a stipend or pay incentive for FP-C. They will also reimburse you for FP-C if you take after you are hired.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
When I researched the same question, I arrived at the conclusion that the distinction was that CCP-C included flight physiology, while FP-C focused on flight physiology, both as they relate to critical care transport. Also, CCP-C(at the time) required a training course, where FP-C you could just pay to take the test.

So, a ground based job would prefer CCP-C, a flight job would prefer FP-C, and chances are pretty good that you’re going to have to get the other one at some point. This was what I uncovered at the time, which was a few years ago and I’d be a bold faced liar if I said I really deep dove the particulars. I had planned to do CCP-C(CCEMT-P course from UMBC) then take the FP-C later after studying what’s different at altitude. Once I decided on a plan that looked good for me, I moved on. There are probably many other details to consider.

Rubicon Bob

Forum Crew Member
When I researched the same question, I arrived at the conclusion that the distinction was that CCP-C included flight physiology, while FP-C focused on flight physiology, both as they relate to critical care transport. Also, CCP-C(at the time) required a training course, where FP-C you could just pay to take the test.

So, a ground based job would prefer CCP-C, a flight job would prefer FP-C, and chances are pretty good that you’re going to have to get the other one at some point. This was what I uncovered at the time, which was a few years ago and I’d be a bold faced liar if I said I really deep dove the particulars. I had planned to do CCP-C(CCEMT-P course from UMBC) then take the FP-C later after studying what’s different at altitude. Once I decided on a plan that looked good for me, I moved on. There are probably many other details to consider.

I'm not sure what makes you think the CCP-C test ever required a "training course" before taking it, but you are incorrect.

I believe you might be confusing CCP-C with the CCEMTP course (they are not the same).

I took the UMBC CCEMTP course in 2002 and have maintained my CCEMT-P, for whatever use it is anymore, along with my FP-C and CCP-C, as it really only costs me the recert costs, as my Con-Ed for the FP-C and CCP-C more then covers what I need to recert.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Lots of static here.
If you want to fly get the FP-C, if not go the other route.
It’s not a hard decision- it’s in the name. If that doesn’t do it for you then just take both.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Renewal cost is brutal. I would only get it if you're planning on flying or required by an employer. $325 (non-members) $225 (IAFCCP members).
This is the reason I don't maintain any IBSC certs. That cost about twice as much as my State licence, NREMT, and CCEMTP renewal put together.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Renewal cost is brutal. I would only get it if you're planning on flying or required by an employer. $325 (non-members) $225 (IAFCCP members).
This is the reason I don't maintain any IBSC certs. That cost about twice as much as my State licence, NREMT, and CCEMTP renewal put together.
It’s cheaper than my CA state paramedic license, not including all the different county fees. It’s also good for 4 years opposed to 2 years like my state license.

Luckily my ground service pays for my state license and the County I work in while my flight agency covers the FP-C and the counties that I don’t routinely work in.

Rubicon Bob

Forum Crew Member
Perhaps I got thrown off by the IBSC page titled “Approved Certification Review Courses”. Mea culpa for misremembering something from quite some time ago. I will go administer 50 lashes instanter.

Sorry if I offended you in some way, by presenting the correct information.

People may look here for information and I would think "we" could want the correct information to be presented.