Car accident.

Alas

Forum Crew Member
Currently working for an IFT company. Good standing. Recently got in minor accident with personal vehicle, insurance intervened. Going to put in an app for AMR soon. How will this accident and to what extent, will this accident affect me? Thank you.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
do you have a point on your lisence? any other tickets or anything? one point shouldn't be a problem, two is a problem.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
do you have a point on your lisence? any other tickets or anything? one point shouldn't be a problem, two is a problem.

Your inability to speel license is also a problem, but there you go, Brown just fixedidid it :)

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
...uh Mr Brown, please don't think I'm trying to be rude, but you also misspelled SPELL

I think me meant to do that :p but its Brown.. who knows with that guy

OP
OP
A

Alas

Forum Crew Member
no other points, violations, tickets on my record. this accident was recent so i don't know what my dmv pointage status would be at this moment. possibility i get 0 points with this accident?

CodyHolt83

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Definately don't lose sleep over it. I'm sure you will be fine.

pcp

Forum Crew Member
Husband and I just got in a minor accident the other day when our daughter was rushed to the hospital, and they put 6 points against his licence s. This is in canada thought so not to sure what the difference is with the states and Canada.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Currently working for an IFT company. Good standing. Recently got in minor accident with personal vehicle, insurance intervened. Going to put in an app for AMR soon. How will this accident and to what extent, will this accident affect me? Thank you.

Were you cited as at fault? That's the main thing the will determine points or not. But the fact that you're in CA, if anything got dinged on your MVR, you might be looked over compared to someone who's got the same experience as you but a clear MVR. Cheaper for the company.

OP
OP
A

Alas

Forum Crew Member
Yes, cited as my fault. agent tells me today this will get me one point. damage over 750 so yeah. Jt that makes sense, thanks.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Husband and I just got in a minor accident the other day when our daughter was rushed to the hospital, and they put 6 points against his licence s. This is in canada thought so not to sure what the difference is with the states and Canada.

If he wasn't speeding or breaking other traffic laws, a state would no points against the license. Insurance have their own system.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If he wasn't speeding or breaking other traffic laws, a state would no points against the license. Insurance have their own system.
Even if he was cited by PD for something as cause of hte accident? I know in NM a cited at fault accident carries a point penalty for your DL

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Even if he was cited by PD for something as cause of hte accident? I know in NM a cited at fault accident carries a point penalty for your DL

States differ on how points and fault are assigned. Some may just give points for fault. It is my understanding a traffic violation is how points are assigned to a license. If a cop determines your at fault due to a traffic violation, you get points if you found guilty. I am certain Ney York and New Mexico are different.

An insurance company issues its own points based on risk and if your in an accident, your insurance points go up. Thats my understanding.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I was a cop and a claims invstigator....

In New York State, the DMV assess "points" for convictions of the traffic law.

The police take reports of accidents but do not assign "blame." That is a civil matter.

Police can charge people with an offense of the traffic law. That is a separate issue from "fault."

Only a court can find fault for an accident and in NYS a court can designate a party as partially at fault.

Customarily, insurance companies settle claims before court.

For underwriting, its a subjective system, they look at how the accident happened and how much property damage or injury was involved. Even if someone was not "at fault" but was in several accidents, they are conisdered a bad risk "calamity Jane" syndrome.

With insurance it is more the $ size of the claim then who was at fault.

The best I can tell the OP is be up front and let your prospective employer know what you learned so it would not happen again.

To everyone else, avoid the crash. Even if you have to slow down and let someone get ahead of you. Its better in the long run to keep back and let people go. Never follow to close, the rear car is always liable, you can not argue "they stopped short"; it is just not a viable argument....

pcp

Forum Crew Member

We live in Canada and their rule is if its more then 50 % your fault you get 6 points, they said it was our fault because we should have been going slower for road conditions. I was kinda upset about it because SGI cant really expect us to be going slow as @ss when we are rushing our daughter to the ER with a Mid brake in her clavicle, we had our four ways on even though we were going the speed limit but they still put 6 points against his license. I guess they thing we should have been going slower then speed limit because it is winter. But what ever i guess