Can you answer my questions?

nikki

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

I am looking for resources available for ER Technicians.
Do hospitals in your area use ER Technicians?
What are the education requirements and resources?

Many Thanks!
Nikki

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Only a very few in my area use them. Pay is $15-17 an hour.

EMT-B is all that's required to apply but most will have you do extra training (EKG, IV, etc).

OP
OP
N

nikki

Forum Ride Along
Many Thanks

Thank you for your reply. It is similar here in NM.

EMT B

Forum Captain
ER Techs where I am from do Labs, EKG, lift assist, code assist, and require EMT-B. If you have AEMT or Medic, some doctors will let you work under your prehospital scope of practice in the hospital setting (IVs, Code Drugs, Intubation, administration of various IM/IV meds,) Down here at school, you do IV, Labs, EKG, Move patients, Change sheets, lift assist, and code assist.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Thank you for your reply. It is similar here in NM.

Actually, it gets more complicated depending on job title and which hospital systems.
Lovelace System ER Techs can do IV starts, lab draws, splinting, foleys, and in a few cases, sutures. Usually EMT is not a help or a hindrance, they just require BLS CPR prior to hire
Pres doesn't hire Tech 1's very often anymore (which is an EMT-B job), but does hire Tech 2 (completion of EMT-I course) and Tech 3 (which requires EMT-I) quite a lot. Plus there is the ER Paramedic positions
UNMH Hires ER Paramedics on a regular basis, and the techs they prefer EMT-I for.
Paramedics make around 18/hr in the ER w/ no experience, and Techs can make upwards of 15/hr base.

EDIT: This is the ABQ Metro area at least