Can we stop some of these, please ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I broke up your paragraph for you.

First off, were you not EMT's before you became medics ?

For no longer than it took me to finish Paramedic school. Just like being a CNA prior to graduating with your RN, it may help pay the bills to get through college while getting your feet wet.

I can't believe some of the inflated heads on here. I can name countless courses that I have taken that relate to the EMS field. Before you people open you mouths, you should have a good conversation with us EMT-B's, we are not all stupid as you think.

But you are still an EMT. Even though you have lots of courses (weekend certs or college?), you have not taken the next step to assume the responsibility of being a Paramedic.

I can tell you right now, I seen EMT's, Medics, RN's, MD's, etc... that I would not trust my dog with, never alone anyone's life.

Yes, but if those with higher education are untrustworthy there may be other problems. If the EMTs are untrustworthy, there is little to compare due to the lack of education.

Some of you want to have all paramedic trucks, for what ? So you can start iv's on people with stubbed toes ?
I guess those courses you took taught you little about patient care or assessment or you wouldn't have made that statement.

I have been in this field for 17+ years now, and so is a lot of people that I work with and volunteer with. So don't call us stupid. When I got my first job on a private service I was hired because my volunteer company has a high respect for the people and the quality of care that we give.

Or your new employer thought you would work for "cheap" since you gave it away before.

Since you were also a volunteer for many of those 17 years, EMS was not your real job.

I am done with this conversation. Oh by the way, good luck trying to get a paid service to run all paramedics, if you are complaining that your wages are low.

Florida has Paramedics responding to all 911 calls in the state and the wages are not too shabby.

This is not meant to be rude but some of us Paramedics have the motivation and ambition to provide a higher level of patient care to the members of our community. The BLS vs ALS argument doesn't hold together when discussing patient care. We have also viewed EMS as a career and have wanted to move on from an entry level job requiring 120 hours of training.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
First off, were you not EMT's before you became medics ? I can't believe some of the inflated heads on here. I can name countless courses that I have taken that relate to the EMS field. Before you people open you mouths, you should have a good conversation with us EMT-B's, we are not all stupid as you think. I can tell you right now, I seen EMT's, Medics, RN's, MD's, etc... that I would not trust my dog with, never alone anyone's life. Some of you want to have all paramedic trucks, for what ? So you can start iv's on people with stubbed toes ? I have been in this field for 17+ years now, and so is a lot of people that I work with and volunteer with. So don't call us stupid. When I got my first job on a private service I was hired because my volunteer company has a high respect for the people and the quality of care that we give. I am done with this conversation. Oh by the way, good luck trying to get a paid service to run all paramedics, if you are complaining that your wages are low.

Actually no, I was not a basic EMT before I took my Paramedic in fact vice versa. I took my Paramedic then my basic.. yeah, nice system; nice to see some things never change .. still screwed up.

After 17 years and what? If you have Paramedic starting IV's on stubbed toes either two things occurred.. You have stupid Paramedics or you missed the real problem of the patient. Sorry, if I need a band-aid, one should not be calling 911 and or only have someone on that EMS unit that is only capable of doing that. Now, really what is it you can really do differently than a MFR?

Wages can and will be compensated as the requirements increase. Don't believe me, just look at any other health care profession... just choose one.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Wages can and will be compensated as the requirements increase. Don't believe me, just look at any other health care profession... just choose one.

I was just doing a little post on another forum but this might fit in here nicely.

Background for Respiratory Therapy: CRT = Certified Respiratory Therapist and RRT = Registered Respiratory Therapist - the higher credential.

From NBRC website - credentialing agency for RT:
www.nbrc.org

In 2003, the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC), the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC), and the NBRC recognized the RRT credential as the “standard of excellence” for respiratory care professionals. At the request of the AARC and CoARC, NBRC approved a policy on Jan. 1, 2005 that requires graduates of advanced-level programs to complete the CRT and RRT Examinations within three (3) years of graduation.

Imagine if we put a time limit on being an EMT on an ambulance certified for EMS that requires you had to go to the next level. Just change the word RRT to Paramedic. However, the entry level education for the EMT would also have to be changed.

OP
OP
E

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I had several people ask me why that I do not go for my paramedic. This is the reason, about 2 years ago, I got diagnosed with RA. I have my good and bad days, often more bad then good. Therefore that is why I work as a dispatcher and have retired to an administrative post at my volunteer service. There is no reason to have my partner risking him/herself because I may not be able to lift. Do I miss the road ? Yes I do. The reason why I do this is because I got bitten by the bug when my father and uncle ran with a volunteer service when I was a kid. I was out of the loop for 6 years when I worked for a modular home company, but then I came back to work in EMS again. I will always be proud of the fine people that I work with and volunteer with. And I will always be proud to be an EMT.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I got diagnosed with RA.

I'm so sorry to hear that! Be strong, love! :]

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Actually no, I was not a basic EMT before I took my Paramedic in fact vice versa. I took my Paramedic then my basic.. yeah, nice system; nice to see some things never change .. still screwed up.

Please tell me your kidding :ph34r:

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Spoken like someone who might own a share in an ambulance service.

LOL...don't I wish!

I also read the arguments that Michigan was presenting against accreditation. Some were borderline shameful and just plain laziness.

I've read those same arguments and I agree..they sounded rather lame.

Accreditation provides more oversight but the problem with that is; we only have 2 accredited Paramedic programs right now. Hard to say which direction we'll be headed in by 2013. There are a lot of schools that would go under if they can't meet the accreditation standards....which of course is the big argument opposing the change.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I've read those same arguments and I agree..they sounded rather lame.

Accreditation provides more oversight but the problem with that is; we only have 2 accredited Paramedic programs right now. Hard to say which direction we'll be headed in by 2013. There are a lot of schools that would go under if they can't meet the accreditation standards....which of course is the big argument opposing the change.

Now this scares me! I am working with about 4 schools in obtaining their accreditation. One is renewing it (the only current one) and three others attempting the first time. Seriously, it's not easy but not hard either. It takes t-i-m-e. Documentation and well to be frank, someone that has a higher level of education than a high school to be able to document the different types of education, clinical training, etc. Mainly it separates those that want a program from those that want to provide a class. In other words .... dedication and commitment from an institution.

Sorry, if they close they probably should anyway. So it closes some? Good. Better competition and screening for those that are really interested. I am sure your salaries will increase as well as the demand increases.

The only other option would be to remove itself from the NREMT. A poor choice as those that attend your schools (non-credited) will be able to transfer to NREMT states and not to say that the upkeep and costs alone of developing and maintaining a test is more than becoming accredited. Not to say the black eye your state will have as well.

Hopefully, your EMS educational leaders and those within EMS will not allow this to occur. Why take a step backwards?

R/r 911

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Oh by the way, good luck trying to get a paid service to run all paramedics, if you are complaining that your wages are low.

Two ALS calls per 24 hour period where you transport will pay for your truck. Any call after that is just pure profit. It isn't a matter of money, it's a matter of hard-headedness and struggling to maintain the status quo. From a business standpoint, why should my employer pay me what I'm really worth when there are hundreds of thousands of EMTs in my state willing to do my job for free? Nevermind the fact that they only get a crew maybe 75% of the time. Also, why should they pay me what I'm really worth when I may be worth that much but Joe Schmo fresh out of EMT class, who (on paper) has the same qualifications as I do? They're paying my what my postnominals say I'm worth, and the only reason the value of my postnominals is so low is because the educational standards are low. And why are the educational standards low? Lobbyist groups like the volunteers and the firemedics. If this field were seen as the profession is truly is, then nobody could do EMS as just a hobby. Until this nonsense ends, overtime and holiday pay will be the only way to make a livable wage in EMS.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As the old saying in flight care is .. "Their paying me for what I know and can do, not what I am doing now"....

R/r 911

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Rid,

I don't disagree with you. It will cost more to convert back to state testing and in the long run, it won't be the best solution. There is no black and white answer to the current issues we're dealing with. Accreditation would at least bring our schools more in line with improved clinical / field experience requirements across the board. There's a huge need for consistency and an even bigger need for better program oversight. We need someone other than the schools themselves and 5 state employees watching the store at the end of the day.

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
And why are the educational standards low? Lobbyist groups like the volunteers and the firemedics. If this field were seen as the profession is truly is, then nobody could do EMS as just a hobby.

That's right, volunteers don't care about Patient care, it's a hobby. That's a great attitude to have my friend. I hope you never crash in hickville or take a coronary, then you'll have a bunch of people that just volunteer and are taking part in their "hobby" come to help you. I think it's quite steriotypical to say that. With the label of "volunteer" that makes unprofessional? Apparently so. Sadly, small towns can't afford paid ALS or even BLS. I know my town can't. So before you put the blame on volunteer's, take into consideration why we're still in existance.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Hey, that water rescue course came in handy!

R/r 911

Too bad you didn't take the "Super EMT" course. Maybe that would have qualified you to tie up the ark :p

Sasha

Forum Chief
That's right, volunteers don't care about Patient care, it's a hobby. That's a great attitude to have my friend. I hope you never crash in hickville or take a coronary, then you'll have a bunch of people that just volunteer and are taking part in their "hobby" come to help you. I think it's quite steriotypical to say that. With the label of "volunteer" that makes unprofessional? Apparently so. Sadly, small towns can't afford paid ALS or even BLS. I know my town can't. So before you put the blame on volunteer's, take into consideration why we're still in existance.

It's not that they can't afford it, it's that they don't want to pay for it. Why buy the cow when you can still get milk for free?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
bmennig,

I'm a big fan of vollies, EMT's and MFR's, not just ALS. I'm greedy..I want em all! The more we train at ALL levels, the more good we do for our citizens in every corner of the nation.

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
bmennig,

I'm a big fan of vollies, EMT's and MFR's, not just ALS. I'm greedy..I want em all! The more we train at ALL levels, the more good we do for our citizens in every corner of the nation.

I agree, but to make a statement that basically says all volunteer's are just doing a "hobby" is absurd. We train weekly, a lot more than we used to. It's made us a better team and as far as I'm concerned a better provider for our community. I'm very proud to be a volunteer and to do it for free gives me a feeling of acclomplishment more so than being paid. While I have much respect for paid ALS, I think the "volunteerism" attitude is way differnet from that of a paid service. We've had several EMT's from our dept become Medics and paid EMT's and the attitudes have changed from the "GO TEAM" attidude to the "I can do it all" attitude, which becomes a problem. Like I said, to each his own but volunteers still play a intrigal part of EMS.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

I agree, not all volunteers are the same. Unfortunately, it is the volunteers and firefighters that lobby and protest against any advances in education and training. Yeah, we have the proof.

It is your division that has caused the opinion of those that take this profession serious enough to make the sacrifice of going and getting a formal education and still working in it for lower wages.. because?... Here we go again.

Yes, there are communities that can't afford EMS and then there are communities that can and will not. It is the determination and priority of how important EMS is to some of those communities.

R/r 911

Status
Not open for further replies.