Can I become an EMT with an arrest record?

Patnremt

Forum Ride Along
5 years ago (barely 18) I was arrested for petty theft. I stole a pack of Nike socks. I had a good plea agreement in my favor due to the low severity of my "criminal act" and my case was dismissed along with my guilty plea being removed after completing community service and a shoplifters course. There was never a conviction but the arrest still shows up on my background check. Will this keep me from obtaining an EMT license in California and an ambulance drivers certificate? I finished #1 in my emt class and passed national registry on my first try. Very worried that both license and ambulance driver cert will get denied. Also should I even disclose this on both applications? I was thinking I should disclose them but I also don't want to raise flags for no reason if that's not what they are looking for ....Please help!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
call California and ask them directly.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
It'll raise way more red flags if you don't report it and they find out.

Without knowing the specifics of your circumstances, it's hard to tell. You're going to have to do a livescan in order to get your grey card. The livescan will find out your history.

Put a call in to your local EMS agency and ask. You'll have to go through them to get your card anyways. They'll know for sure what the answer is.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife!

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty good at Google. Looking at this document:

§ 100214.3. Denial or Revocation of a Certificate.
(9) Has been convicted within the preceding five (5) years of any theft related misdemeanor.

I'm not sure the specifics of your case or the dismissal, but based on your understanding it looks like you're good.

When applying for a job, I think you need read the application carefully. After looking at several applications online, it seems that they typically asks if you've been "convicted of any crime."

If the question asks if you've been arrested, I'd respond truthfully and provide a concise response. Something like, "I was arrested for petty theft and the charges were ultimately dismissed." Ultimately it will be an interview where you provide the details.

The problem is when you're looking at ten, twenty, or even a hundred applications, it's small stuff like arrests that make it easy to toss the candidate's application in the circular file. You're fighting an uphill battle trying to land a gig in EMS with an arrest for shoplifting, but I'm sure's it possible.

Good luck!

medic493

Forum Probie
5 years ago (barely 18) I was arrested for petty theft. I stole a pack of Nike socks. I had a good plea agreement in my favor due to the low severity of my "criminal act" and my case was dismissed along with my guilty plea being removed after completing community service and a shoplifters course. There was never a conviction but the arrest still shows up on my background check. Will this keep me from obtaining an EMT license in California and an ambulance drivers certificate? I finished #1 in my emt class and passed national registry on my first try. Very worried that both license and ambulance driver cert will get denied. Also should I even disclose this on both applications? I was thinking I should disclose them but I also don't want to raise flags for no reason if that's not what they are looking for ....Please help!
I am surprised any EMT program allowed you to take the course without running your record. Nevertheless, it is a state matter, and absolutely shall not be hidden from the state. An arrest is a not a conviction to be clear, so you should absolutely disclose this to the state. Most states stipulate that a conviction may be grounds from licensure prohibition, but not an arrest. With this said, your job hunt will not be easy, because theft whether convicted or not, is not something EMS managers want to risk.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
I'll be that guy. Based on your statements you show no remorse for your actions and think it was not a big deal. It seems as though you've done it before and this is the only time you've been caught. You're biggest regret seems to be that it might effect a job or career you want to pursue. Just my two cents.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I am surprised any EMT program allowed you to take the course without running your record. Nevertheless, it is a state matter, and absolutely shall not be hidden from the state. An arrest is a not a conviction to be clear, so you should absolutely disclose this to the state. Most states stipulate that a conviction may be grounds from licensure prohibition, but not an arrest. With this said, your job hunt will not be easy, because theft whether convicted or not, is not something EMS managers want to risk.
The majority of EMT programs in these areas do not run background checks. If someone wants to take a college course why not let them?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Getting licensed or certified is different from getting a job. Technically speaking, you have not been convicted as your charge was dismissed. You're right that the arrest will show up. You will need to keep copies of your disposition paperwork showing the outcome of that arrest and subsequent court action because, all too often, arrest records aren't updated to show a disposition. An arrest record without a corresponding disposition is always a red flag for a background investigator so be ready to supply the record so they can have a 1:1 arrest/dispo correlation. You may also want to contact the arresting agency to see if they can update the arrest record to show a disposition of the charge being dismissed but they may or may not be able to do so due to local policy or some law (local/state) that prevents them from updating the arrest record.

MikeC

Forum Crew Member
Getting licensed or certified is different from getting a job. Technically speaking, you have not been convicted as your charge was dismissed. You're right that the arrest will show up. You will need to keep copies of your disposition paperwork showing the outcome of that arrest and subsequent court action because, all too often, arrest records aren't updated to show a disposition. An arrest record without a corresponding disposition is always a red flag for a background investigator so be ready to supply the record so they can have a 1:1 arrest/dispo correlation. You may also want to contact the arresting agency to see if they can update the arrest record to show a disposition of the charge being dismissed but they may or may not be able to do so due to local policy or some law (local/state) that prevents them from updating the arrest record.

In the rural area I'm at EMTs are in short supply. Jobs are readily available. Now that rate starts out at $9.50/hour, and would be as a part-time or "casual" employee. So far out of 12 students in the last EMT class, 4 have their EMT certifications and 1 (me) is actually working in EMS. Many have failed the test twice now going on three tries. All the others have full-time jobs paying at least $12/hr if not much better and have a casual interest in running EMT with mostly an interest in working functions, pursuing Paramedic to become a flight Paramedic, etc.

So I guess beggars can't be choosers in some areas. With all that said, we have background checks, drug tests, etc. As I'm assuming most agencies do.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
For $9.50 an hour, and only part time or casual employment, I can tell you why EMTs are in short supply, and what would need to happen to fix that issue......