Assessment on my drunk/drugged friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychologist

Forum Probie
Im currently an EMT student about 2/3 done with class and decided to bring my equipment with me to a party to entertain me since i was DD. Unfortunately i didnt have it on me when this happened.

Anyways my friend had taken a percocet and had drank some alcohol. He felt nauseous and seemed at risk of losing consciousness so i took him outside and put him in the recovery position. I did a complete assessment. He was alert. Pulse thready and regular. darkness prevented me from assessing his skin color although it felt warm and dry Breathing shallow.He was tachycardic 102 and had resp rate of 16. I didnt bother with BP

Anyways, i started thinking of what i could do to reduce nausea without vomiting. So i told him to take richer breaths and then walked him back to the car placing him on the heated passenger seat. He started to feel better after a couple minutes

My logic behind what i did was that his inadequate breaths and fast heart rate showed that the body was compensating. I know that when the body compensates, it redirects blood away from non vital areas such as the digestive system which causes nausea. I havnt learned about ODS yet so shock treatment was the best i could go by.

Did my interventions actually do anything to help the nausea or is it highly unlikely?

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Just out of curiosity...

Why would you want to stop this person from vomiting?

OP
OP
P

Psychologist

Forum Probie
Lol i didnt want to stop him from vomiting. He didnt want to vomit.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Lol i didnt want to stop him from vomiting. He didnt want to vomit.

After knowingly taking percocet and drinking at a party this person shouldn't get to make decisions on what they want or don't want to do.

Vomiting would probably be a good thing for this person.

Anjel

Forum Angel
uzymude4.jpg

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Im currently an EMT student about 2/3 done with class and decided to bring my equipment with me to a party to entertain me

128805206638967410-e1300864234250.jpg

I never go to a party without my laryngoscope...ya know just in case I meet a hot girl and want to check out her Uvula

Veneficus

Forum Chief
For a good time call...

Tell them your drunk friend tried to OD with percocet on purpose and just watch the fun from there.

He will also probably not tell you what happened after he got to the hospital and will never do it again.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Yeah. Not good. The intervention you should have performed is a drug abuse one.

You don't keep those in your whacker pack or belt?
If only he had remembered to bring everything.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
You don't keep those in your wacker pack or belt?
If only he had remembered to bring everything.

If he/she was a decent whacker, he would have brought an extra liver and some surgical tools.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
If he/she was a decent whacker, he would have brought an extra liver and some surgical tools.

They say I am a whacker for driving around a mobile surgical theater as my POV, but I say you never know when you need to do an organ transplantation.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
They say I am a whacker for driving around a mobile surgical theater as my POV, but I say you never know when you need to do an organ transplantation.

You never know when you will hear over the scanner that all of the local transplant surgeons are busy and you will have to spring into action to save a life...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

I can't give you a new organ, but I have a piano you can have cheap...

OP
OP
P

Psychologist

Forum Probie
Btw he was fine on the way back from the party. The primary reason i did an assessment was for practice and it was half assed. If he was in any real danger i would have obviously called 911. I regret posting this but i just wanted to see if there was a connection. Also this is in no way a reflection of how i preform in class or how i would deal with a real call. If it was painful to read i apologize lol.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Btw he was fine on the way back from the party. The primary reason i did an assessment was for practice and it was half assed. If he was in any real danger i would have obviously called 911. I regret posting this but i just wanted to see if there was a connection. Also this is in no way a reflection of how i preform in class or how i would deal with a real call. If it was painful to read i apologize lol.

Some day you will be the one facepalming at what the newbie says/does. Kind of a right of passage.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This thread sure deteriorated fast. /closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.