As a mature, educated, responsible, self-respecting medical professional....

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
....how, as in many threads on here, can you ever justify smoking, chewing or other means of tobacco use?

Just saying. Considered replies welcomed. For the sake of brevity, let's stipulate that we agree it is your constitutional right and you are a big boy or girl, so just post another smiley face if that's the answer.
:)

Avenrii

Forum Probie
I recently moved to Texas from Tennessee. I worked around different emergency personnel, and never did I see smoking or chewing on duty.

Arrive in Texas.. Police officer in the E.D. guarding a patient has a huge wad in his mouth, several Paramedics are dipping. *shiver*

leoemt

Forum Captain
I despise the use of both. When I was a cop our K9 officer was the biggest tobacco addict you ever saw. If he wasn't smoking, he was chewing. He once pulled me off a crash investigation to go buy him more smokes (sucks being the junior). Since he had a take home car, he could smoke in it. Poor dog, was always surprised the dogs didn't get cancer.

If a co-worker is responsible, I don't have an issue with chew. I HATE seeing them spit on the ground or into clear drink bottles.

Smoking on the other hand bothers me a lot. I am overly sensitive to it. I hate smell and the sight of it.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Why does it have anything to do with how you perform your job?

How can athletic trainers never have played pro sports pro sports and respect themselves?

How can a nutritionist overeat?

How can an AA counselor ever have a drink and tell people not to?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Many hospitals are cracking down hardcore on tobacco in the work place. Some have even gone as far as firing employees who are caught smoking on campus.

Our hospital is on a fairly large campus combined with a medical school and nursing school which is all tobacco free with plenty of security that enforce that rule. Our main hospital entrance is off a very busy street. When you drive by the hospital or are stuck in traffic you will see a large group of employees and patients just across the street (off campus) in a big huddle smoking. There will be patients with IV poles (probably there for COPD) and employes in uniforms. There are even people in surgical scrubs; cap, booties and all. It looks absolutey terrible and pisses me off more than anything. How does that look to the public? If I was an administrator I would walk out and fire every employee in a uniform on the spot. I would then slap all of the people in surgical scrubs for being morons. Do you think they change their scrubs after every time they go out? Doubt it.

med51fl

Forum Lieutenant
So why the anti-dipping craziness? Is it because it looks bad or because it is unhealthy?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So why the anti-dipping craziness? Is it because it looks bad or because it is unhealthy?

It looks just as bad as smoking cigarettes. And a zero tolerance tobacco use policy is not simply a no smoking policy, it means no tobacco use period so using it is a significant any policy violation where I work.

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
I never have and probably never will use any kind of tobacco. With that being said, I think it is interesting how heavily people focus on tobacco use, whereas other serious health issues such as obesity are overlooked...

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Nicotine impedes cellular regeneration. I learned that laying in the hospital after my helicopter crash and they dug L3 out in 8 pieces. So physiologically nicotine, outside of being extremely addictive, is also bad for your health in addition to all of the carcinogens that come with said tobacco product(s).

Now as to why people get addicted in the first place? Ok, we all know it's choice. But why do we make that choice? Simple. For some reason the stimulant of nicotine helps ease ease some of the stress aquired on the job of caring for the sick, injured, dying patients.

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
I never have and probably never will use any kind of tobacco. With that being said, I think it is interesting how heavily people focus on tobacco use, whereas other serious health issues such as obesity are overlooked...

It's said you can't be a (insert big agency) paramedic without being fat. I think that is way more important than cracking down on tobacco use, both are bad but obesity shows a lot more.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain

Thats a great point! This thread is now about fat people...

I would MUCH rather have a partner who discreetly chewed tobacco vs. a partner who was overweight. When the ish hits the fan and my life is on the line, i want somebody who can do the job effectively.

Yes, i think dipping in front of the public is a bad thing and i dont condone it. But i think firefighters and medics who are out of shape do more damage to our public image than tobacco users.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
You guys would absolutely cringe around here. I know of a cardiologist that is a chain smoker with cigerettes always in his upper chest pockets on his white coat. And seems like at least half of the staff at our local hospital smokes also. Our ambulance service is down to 2 smokers and 2 chewers

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Why does it have anything to do with how you perform your job?

How can athletic trainers never have played pro sports pro sports and respect themselves?

How can a nutritionist overeat?

How can an AA counselor ever have a drink and tell people not to?

How can a pyromaniac set fire to himself?
Who wrote the Book of Love?
If that's the defense, then we have ruptured the "mature" specification. A case of "She touched me!"--"He touched me first!"--"MOM!!"
and
"Don't make me come back there!" ;)
Yeah, we always aim for perfection especially in others. Me too. Ask my kids.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Nicotine impedes cellular regeneration. I learned that laying in the hospital after my helicopter crash and they dug L3 out in 8 pieces. So physiologically nicotine, outside of being extremely addictive, is also bad for your health in addition to all of the carcinogens that come with said tobacco product(s).

Now as to why people get addicted in the first place? Ok, we all know it's choice. But why do we make that choice? Simple. For some reason the stimulant of nicotine helps ease ease some of the stress aquired on the job of caring for the sick, injured, dying patients.

Know what I think*? Most people get addicted when they are young and stupid and invulnerable/invincible and we adults are all just trying to kill their buzz. I.E., when the choice is not rational.

(* Strictly a rhetorical question!!!)

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Isn't there another thread with that pairing of issues going on right now? :huh:

WHy just one or the other? And how many genetically addicted tobacco users are there, versus the segment of the population who either are doomed or trend towards, er, portliness.

med51fl

Forum Lieutenant
I saw in the news that egg yolks are as bad for you as cigarettes. I hope all these places institute a zero egg yolk tolerence in the work place.

Eat a scrambled egg, get reported. Have a fried egg, get fired. Eggs benedict, never work in the business again. :lol:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I saw in the news that egg yolks are as bad for you as cigarettes. I hope all these places institute a zero egg yolk tolerence in the work place.

Eat a scrambled egg, get reported. Have a fried egg, get fired. Eggs benedict, never work in the business again. :lol:

Ya except egg yolks don't potentially cause harm to others through second hand exposure.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
perhaps...

We could consider that whether or not we find tobacco use acceptable, it is still one of the only socially accepted (and legal) destructive behaviors available to people who are stressed beyond their coping mechanisms.

Sure it would be great if they picked a healthy outlet for stress, like exercise, altruism, etc. But let's face it...

Gambling, sex, tobacco, alcohol, pharmacological therapy, and other high risk behaviors are far more appealing.

I would stipulate it is probably not the tobacco users we should really be worried about in the workplace.

just a thought.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
You guys would absolutely cringe around here. I know of a cardiologist that is a chain smoker with cigerettes always in his upper chest pockets on his white coat. And seems like at least half of the staff at our local hospital smokes also. Our ambulance service is down to 2 smokers and 2 chewers

I'm pretty sure 100% of the RTs that ride with us smoke

rather amusing